Tabla Rosa is free until end of February

For those of you who don't know, Tabula Rasa is slated to close as of February 28, 2009. Until that time, the company is letting everyone play for free on the offical servers.

If you're interested, all you have to do is create an account here, and download the client here. (~3GB)

I have no idea if the game is good (I just heard about it five seconds ago) but thought others might be interested in trying it out before it shuts down.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

It's been free for the last couple of months - although you sort of get what you pay for... >_<

Did anyone start a thread on it?

I can't seem to create an account. It just tells me to 'use a valid password' though my password is of the appropriate length and has both letter and numbers as instructed. I'll continue to DL the client - it may provide an alternative method of creating an account.

Do you have any specific thoughts or criticisms in regards to the Tabula Rasa?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Actually I found Tabula Rasa to be a very unique take on standard MMO conventions. It's well polished and very stable, the action is quick, and the graphics are fantastic. I played it for about a month a little after it came out. You can't beat the price, either.

I suppose if you don't like MMO's, you probably won't like it, but it does have some refreshing changes.

i played beta when it was out... i liked it a lot, the game was full of nice ideas, but from what i have seen and experienced it got ruined because to many people who played it played WoW aswell and they were not willing to pay 2nd subscription... that is fate of others MMO's aswell especialy if publishers are trying to get the same audience for their games...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

this game never interested me, for whatever reason. oh yeah, i know, i don't feel the need to hang out online with a bunch of pre-teens spewing curse words while playing an MMO of any kind. i can get that in here... ahem. :thumbsup:

richard garriot was interviewed regarding his departure from and the ultimate failure of tabula rasa, btw. he hinted (uh, openly stated, actually) that he would love to do another single player ultima experience if EA was up to it. soooo, i wouldn't be surprised if we see/hear something like that in the future.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Tabula Rasa....hmm. Is it that game where it says "Richard Garriots Tabula Rasa" albeit he wasn't involved in development at all?

He was basically the PR figurehead for the project, did a lot of interviews and such. I'm not sure how involved he was in day to day operations. They actually had a pretty complete game awhile back, and then they scrapped it, according to him because it didn't meet hit standards. They retooled it and came out with the current version, which was a solid game.

Sinking a lot of money into MMORPG development seems a risky proposition as long as WoW is roaming through the bushes bludgeoning all competitors with a ridiculously huge mace.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sinking a lot of money into MMORPG development seems a risky proposition as long as WoW is roaming through the bushes bludgeoning all competitors with a ridiculously huge mace.

I'd say it is a safer proposition than it was before WoW, to be honest. I'm not saying it isn't risky, but there were an awful lot of MMO's that crashed and burned, or never saw the light of day, before WoW came out. Now it seems like the odds are better that an MMO will get to the store shelves, but of course that doesn't guarantee success.

I'd say it is a safer proposition than it was before WoW, to be honest. I'm not saying it isn't risky, but there were an awful lot of MMO's that crashed and burned, or never saw the light of day, before WoW came out. Now it seems like the odds are better that an MMO will get to the store shelves, but of course that doesn't guarantee success.

That's a good point. The success of WoW has certainly shown that a MMORPG can be an extremely reliable commercial venture. If nothing else it has legitimized the MMORPG as a viable mainstream product.

But dethroning WoW with another product? That seems trickier. I'm sure it will happen eventually. Eithe WoW will self-destruct or people will get bored or something new will make a big splash and set a new bar for success.

A better bet would be to design a smaller MMORPG witha smaller budget and a smaller subscriber base. Try to offer a real alternative to WoW.

Even then though...

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm not sure that any MMO developers are realistically trying to dethrone WoW. Turbine, SOE, NCSoft, and Funcom have all had pretty good success with smaller subscription bases.

The biggest issue I see is that the last two releases, Age of Conan and WAR, both sold very well in the first month, but aren't maintaining those numbers. They need to be careful not to go crazy with the money they make at release, prepare for a significant drop and plan for a long term.

The biggest issue I see is that the last two releases, Age of Conan and WAR, both sold very well in the first month, but aren't maintaining those numbers. They need to be careful not to go crazy with the money they make at release, prepare for a significant drop and plan for a long term.

Is that because lots of MMORPG'ers tried it out, then went back to WoW only? Or was the interest in either one just not sustainable due to poor game design? Or something else?

Is that because lots of MMORPG'ers tried it out, then went back to WoW only? Or was the interest in either one just not sustainable due to poor game design? Or something else?

I'd say a combination, AoC really lacked sustainability. I think the WoW expansion is probably hurting WAR a bit, plus that game has had technical issues. These games have difficult launches.

I'd say a combination, AoC really lacked sustainability. I think the WoW expansion is probably hurting WAR a bit, plus that game has had technical issues. These games have difficult launches.

Blizzard makes it all seem so easy!

STALKER: Clear Sky installed a WoW trial offer shortcut on my desktop. It just sits there, smirking at me.

We are the WoW, resistance is futile.

I loved WoW, but I don't think I can ever go back. Lord of the Rings Online has taken over that void in my soul.

In the end, the gear-centric stuff in WoW kind of lost me. I've heard the new expansion has a cool take on storytelling, but the epic questline on LotRO has really kept my attention throughout the levels.

Still, I'll never regret my time on WoW or disparage the experience. Going into Stormwind the first time was unforgettable.

WoW is, IMO, the poster child with what is wrong with MMO's today. It dumbs itself down to the lowest common demoninator. Its like the difference between colbert and larry the cable guy when it comes to comedy. You need to be aleast aware of current events and history to 'get it' with the report where as larry the cable guy you could live under a rock and he plays down to such red neck stupidity takes 0 brain power to 'get'.

Call me elitist if you wish but thats how I see WoW vs. other MMORPGs that at least try to be more then a kiddyfied simplistic game.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

WoW is, IMO, the poster child with what is wrong with MMO's today. It dumbs itself down to the lowest common demoninator. Its like the difference between colbert and larry the cable guy when it comes to comedy. You need to be aleast aware of current events and history to 'get it' with the report where as larry the cable guy you could live under a rock and he plays down to such red neck stupidity takes 0 brain power to 'get'.

Call me elitist if you wish but thats how I see WoW vs. other MMORPGs that at least try to be more then a kiddyfied simplistic game.

To a degree this is both right and wrong. It's right in that it's tutorials and you can basically come up with any attack pattern and kill stuff. But, If you get into any serious part of the game (Raiding, PVP at end game) you generally have to find a way to maximize your attacks and then theres the sheer amount of number crunching you can do to figure out exactly how the game works. ElitistJerks is the place to go for number crunching/figuring whats best for your class

for example they have a breakdown of how to DPS as a Frost Spec Death Knight

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t37448-frosty_...c_hat_required/

Just he sheer amount of math that these people do to figure everything out is staggering.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

What do you think would be a difference between the simplistic way WoW does things and a different way another MMORPG might do something?

Can you give an example or two of a simplistic WoW gameplay aspect? Do you think there are other MMORPG's that present an alternative?

STALKER: Clear Sky installed a WoW trial offer shortcut on my desktop.

Huh?! It didn't do that to me... Do you have a box with both French and English or do you have another edition? :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot