Baldur's Gate

Walsingham

Solo here.

Just tried out the NWN2 Baldur's Gate demo. Though it talks about Patch 1.21 ready it is running on my Mac under patch version 1.12. That's right. It runs on the on the Mac natively using NWN2 for the Mac.

This is great news for those who want to replay BG under the NWN2 engine on the Mac again. I will continue testing it to see if any hic cups pop up. Now this also means that once the finish version comes out it should and I say should continue to run like the demo is without needing any expansions or higher patches. They are predecting this summer to finish. I hope this will come true.

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo

Yep the demo is out so try it out. ;(

Pope, can you tell me in what way about implementing the dialogue skills are you looking for so I can possible spot and report about it? Or better yet. Please try the demo for your self. There are some haks that will be needed. 3 haks plus the game mod.

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo

Why are the games I loved (BG) and the ones I waited for (TBH) remade with the crappiest engine ever made (NWN2)? It's like putting BBQ-sauce on my icecream. Fsckers should be beaten with a baseballbat.

J.

Whats wrong with the nwn2 engine currently?

Still looks damn good and performs well.

Do you honestly believe that? I mean seriously, Badger is a crappy engine.

I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it. NWN2 performs quite nice, playing though the OC again in fact currently then MotB.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Has anyone played the demo? What's it like/

I checked out the screen shots and thought "whoa, that's not Imoen!*" Big problem if you're trying to make such an iconic game - everyone has an idea of how the NPCs should look.

*Not that this is a biggie for me, I always get her squished by the Ogre in the wilderness area where you find the abandoned merchant caravan, then move on.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

I tried it out, and it seems to be quite faithful from what I remember (haven't played BG in a long time). There are features missing though that will make it in.

I guess the visual side of it is the hardest. With the IE games you often built your image of characters based on the portraits alone, and since this mod makes use of the cutscene conversation style in NWN2 you end up face-to-face with the wonderful NWN2 heads (hehe). I think it would've been a better idea to just keep the old-style conversations with no zoom-in, but lots of people like the cutscene style.

I find one of the strengths of isometric is that the world gets abstracted to the player in a way, and makes him accept the gameworld on another level. Whereas as in more close-up camera angles, you might get nice looking things, but when things do look weird it's hard to look past that.

The best feature of the area design was the flowery entrance to the actual keep (where you meet Gorion), that looked great. It's a bit bland in the areas surrounding it though, the area outside the Inn and all that.

Also, I find that the actual content of Baldurs Gate have not aged well. The writing is really quite bad, and the fetch-quests in the Keep are just... urgh.

I'm mostly looking forward to trying it out with the NWN2 ruleset, that's the main draw for me. The conversion seems to be quite faithful, though certain areas of it could be improved.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

^ Many thanks.

Personally, I like the NWN2 engine for dungeon-crawling (camera issues aside). BG has some great dungeons, I'm looking forward to see what Durlag's Tower will end up like. Are they planning to import the original BG music? I hope so.

Icewind Dale / IWD2 using the SoZ build-your-own party and overland features would be pretty cool using the NWN2 engine.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yep the demo is out so try it out. :aiee:

Pope, can you tell me in what way about implementing the dialogue skills are you looking for so I can possible spot and report about it? Or better yet. Please try the demo for your self. There are some haks that will be needed. 3 haks plus the game mod.

Well, afaik BG didn't really have dialogue checks, so what would be the point in implementing those skills?

BG original music has a wonderful effect on NWN2 and fits really well (see Asphyxia). I think, what with the art assets, it will be the wilderness areas and places like Durlag's Keep that will look the most inspired, with the right area design. I'd prefer BG's game mechanics and interface over NWN2's though, so I suppose I'm thinking... I'm loving seeing a remake, but I'd probably go and play the Tutu original after I look at all the cool things they did! :aiee:

(I don't know. I don't mind AD&D, at least on the computer.)

I recall seeing a shot of Jaheira somewhere(looked fine) and heard about someone posting the other npcs, but I haven't seen any screens. Would someone here know of any?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

and performs well.

I hope that was a joke.

Carth was a wonderful character.

Edit: Can someone provide a link to the demo?, or tell me where to get it?

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Yep the demo is out so try it out. >_<

Well, afaik BG didn't really have dialogue checks, so what would be the point in implementing those skills?

This made me wonder: did having a high charisma have any influence on any dialogue in BG?

• 1 month later...