The FPS Thread

Humodour

So I've sort of been out of touch with gaming for a good few years now (since about 2004). I think I've mostly kept up to date on the latest RPGs, but the rest not so much.

Please list all the half-decent FPS's you've played in the last 5-8 years, including the year they were released. I'm especially interested in games released in the 2001 to 2006 period.

2001:

Red Faction

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Aliens Versus Predator 2

Max Payne 1

Halo 1

2002:

Jedi Knight 2

No One Lives Forever 2

2003:

Jedi Academy

Max Payne 2

2004:

Bloodlines

Half-Life 2

Halo 2

2005:

Quake 4

2006:

Half-Life 2: Episode 1

2007:

Half-Life 2: Episode 2

What did I miss?

Portal is the only FPS recently that I really enjoyed, but I guess that's more of a puzzle game. I'd recommend Bioshock because it does a great job of creating a unique atmosphere and game space.

I play all the Battlefield games too. BF2142 is pretty great.

I'm playing Halo 3 right now, seems pretty fun although the level design is really stupid.

Edit: A great shooter no one has heard of is Project Snowblind, people complain it's pretty short. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is a really fun shooter that's different. Those are both Xbox titles though. The best tactical shooter I ever played is the original Brothers in Arms.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Prey. With headphones and an X-Fi preferrably. Kind of innovative while being traditional enough not to feel lost.

that game really put me off when i found strange things on the walls that would poop on me when i walked too close to them :shifty:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Far Cry and Crysis are also some half decent games. Far cry is extremly difficult, but crysis has some really awesome visuals.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Painkiller ("Heaven has a hitman") :shifty:

Mindless, furious action from start to finish. Just plain fun. Released around 2004 I think.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Poop? I always thought they puked ;) Anyway, the whole ship is quite organic. You can shoot the puking holes btw.

either way it's still :x

and some of those doors looked very... well... a little too organic if you catch my drift

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Raven Shield. SWAT 4.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

FEAR, Bioshock, Far Cry 2 come to mind.

Also, I loved Republic Commando.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Cliver Barker's Undying at least, 2001 material IIRC. Brilliant game. Chronicles of Riddick too, as was already pointd out. And Severance:Blade of Darkness! Yeah, it's a 3rd person action game, but it's godly and the bow zoom is an inclusive feature!

Heretic 2 and Rune are good as well.

Oh, and play the Legacy of Kain games, they should work decent.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds