Has anyone ever seen a UFO?

darks

I for one can't believe anything, even a UFO, can move at unbelievable speed without making any noise at all. Air displacement alone would make some sort of noise. Has to be a visual artifact.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I for one can't believe anything, even a UFO, can move at unbelievable speed without making any noise at all. Air displacement alone would make some sort of noise. Has to be a visual artifact.

Or maybe the noise was too low/high for human ear ranges?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That still doesn't explain why the triangular flight objects hovered slowly (!) over the ground, having three huge spotlights under it's belly (what for?) and make strange and incredebly fast manouvers without any sound.

Eh, it's just a theory. Probably no truth to such at all. Black Triangles are a pretty common UFO sighting though so there are some specific theories related to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_triangle_(UFO)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

• 3 weeks later...

My dad claims to have seen "something strange made out of pipes" in the sky when he was young. He was obviosuly unable to identify it, so I guess it was a UFO. Maybe there was some kind of alien snake race living in those pipes? Maybe they were sending us snake impostors plotting to take over the world? Oh no, snakes! :wacko:

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Or maybe the noise was too low/high for human ear ranges?

You cross the sound barrier, you make noise. I don't see how you couldn't.

EDIT: I suppose you could use a system to create and opposing vortice of air as you went along, but I'm not sure how much energy that would require.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wasn't really thinking of "breaking the sound barrier" speed when I mentioned that, which would make things awkward, but then how far from the breaking of the barrier does a viewer have to be before they're not going to hear it?

Could the fast moving object is just too distant?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wasn't really thinking of "breaking the sound barrier" speed when I mentioned that, which would make things awkward, but then how far from the breaking of the barrier does a viewer have to be before they're not going to hear it?

No, when you break the sound barrier you actually break it. It's both a visual and audible experience. At a distance it sounds like thunder, close up it's like a gigantic explosion and a shockwave. It can easily break a lot of windows. A friend's mother had her buns fly out of the oven when a jet plane did a low fly-by above her house (her boyfriend is a fighter pilot). She was not impressed.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Haha, no, I meant actual buns. It was one of those old fashioned stoves where you burn wood and put the buns above a fire. The pressure from the boom sent a shockwave down the chimney which blew the lids open and the buns flew out. Or something like that, I wasn't there, I've only been told about it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

No, when you break the sound barrier you actually break it. It's both a visual and audible experience. At a distance it sounds like thunder, close up it's like a gigantic explosion and a shockwave. It can easily break a lot of windows. A friend's mother had her buns fly out of the oven when a jet plane did a low fly-by above her house (her boyfriend is a fighter pilot). She was not impressed.

Well yes I know you can still hear a sonic boom from a distance, but I guess I was asking could an object still be visable but distant enough to break the sound barrier without the sound reaching the viewer.

Well yes I know you can still hear a sonic boom from a distance, but I guess I was asking could an object still be visable but distant enough to break the sound barrier without the sound reaching the viewer.

In theory. I suppose that you might also be travelling above mach 1, and miss the boom wave, like a surfer. But if a ground observer saw one fly cose by you'd definitely notice it. On the other hand... if we assume for the sake of argument that these are interstellar craft then they have some emans of breaking the 'light barrier' so it could be related to that. :lol:

-Elwood Blues

i saw 'em in concert in 19 ? man it was along time a go ..... awesome concert though
Concert of what band, UFO? :ermm:

Missing sound is just one of a number of things that are attributed to UFOs that are impossible for ... 'normal' objects. Take acceleration for example (would kill any human), going invisible, changing form and what not.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority