BioWare/Lucas Arts game unveiled Oct 21

What I find kind of funny is that the developers and the news establishment hail every new MMORPG as the one that can beat WoW. Look, as much as I wanted Warhammer: Age of Reckoning to be a great game, it can't beat WoW if folks can't stay online. That's why I said that these people should focus less on beating WoW and more on beating the WoW experience. Star Wars does have the potential to beat Warcraft based on the back story and history with the public. ...But the best way to hype the game is to hype the gameplay and the story. It's not to hype itself into a head to head fight against WoW. I guess they're hoping to sucker some WoW players into looking to see if it's really true?

I'd hear that Age of Conan and Warhammer: Age of Reckoning were going to be the ones to dethrone WoW. Hell, with Conan, I didn't even hear it as a question. Someone at Best Buy told me that when I was looking for other games. I've read about Conan and W:AR being the WoW topplers and it just hasn't happened. Now I'm hearing about SWSTUFF being the one to do it? Pretty soon, it's going to be like calling someone a nazi in an online political discussion. *yawn*

No, I thought the way they handled Jedi was a good system - making force-sensitive people appear at random and actually forcing people to work to become one. Sorry if you thought it "sucked," but I disagree.
Wait, are you telling me you actually played SWG? I thought MMOs were like communion with the anti-Christ for you.

Anyway, yeah. I guess I should listen to your opinion, being the expert you are on MMOs. Of course, making the elements of gameplay that everyone wants to play seeing as they are a staple of the freaking setting, depend on random chance and have players "work" to experience them is a great idea. Because SW is all about moisture farming!

It's not to hype itself into a head to head fight against WoW. I guess they're hoping to sucker some WoW players into looking to see if it's really true?
I don't know man, Blizzard use their big figures a lot on their ads. So there's somebody, somewhere, who believes that big numbers convince people to try some product or other.

I think the system they used before was... brutal

What do I need to do to become a Jedi?

The major requirement of following the Jedi path is to unlock your Force Sensitive Character Slot (FSCS). After that, you can use the force sensitive slot at any time to create a force sensitive character. This force sensitive character is the only one who can become a Jedi. Once you have started a character in your FSCS, that character can train and pratice skills using the Force, and eventually become a Jedi. Unfortunately there are a few quirks with the FSCS.

What kind of quirks are there about the FSCS?

Any character created in the FSCS has an ailment called "perma-death." That means that if your character dies, he or she is deleted and you are forced to start over from the beginning. To account for disconnects or unexpected gameplay bugs, your character is allowed 2 or 3 normal deaths (where you can come back to life via a clone) before the Perma-death kicks in.

How do I unlock the FSCS?

Nobody knows. The process is thought to be tied to your account, and slightly different for everyone. According the the devs, a casual player might unlock their FSCS within a year or so of starting a regular character. When we know more, we will certainly post it (in a big spoiler-protected area)

What happens if I use the Force in public?

When you use the Force in public, or display any sign of your Jedi Heritage outside of the chat channels, you will automatically gain a Temporary Enemy Flag (TEF) from all Players and NPCs who witness it. This means that any of those Players or NPCs can attack and kill you without repercussions until the TEF runs out. Thusly, it's suggested you only reveal your force sensitive nature to those you trust, and never, ever use the force in a crowded, public place.

I guess part of me just wondered where the fun in this is. You can play a Jedi after a year of grinding through your professions, the character can die permanently, and if you ever use your Jedi powers around others they can kill you (how do you do group quests?). Why would Rebels kill a Jedi?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Making becoming a Jedi brutally hard makes sense if you trying to keep their numbers low and save them as a special reward for the most hardcore and dedicated players. Unfortunately it also makes it hard to keep people paying subscriptions to a Star Wars game where everyone wants to be a Jedi and everyone believes they're special.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Because SW is all about moisture farming!

Oh Lord, I'm laughing out loud. rofl

hehe This really is what I was trying to say. Most folks see Star Wars as Jedi Knights fighting Evil and the like. While I can see why some folks want to preserve the rarity of their acheivment in becoming a Jedi, I think most players just want to whack someone with a lightsaber.

Well, Hello all! I'm new here...the noobie. I will probably be blamed for not continuing the current chain of thought but I joined for one reason.....TO VENT!

MMO??????????

ARE YOU SERIOUS??????? I WAS LOOKING FOWARD TO THE BIGGEST RPG RELEASE FOR THE 360!!!! and then on my occasional check around the internet I come across this nonsense about THE OLD REPUBLIC MMO!????

It will not only be kotor 3 but "3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9," they said. I don't know. I'm feeling about ready to give em that number of PUNCHES!

KOTOR I was awesome. KOTOR II could have been better but still acceptable. KOTOR III was supposed to be the big SHOWDOWN!!!! LIKE THE HALO TRILOGY! But it turns out now that it's just going to be a never ending war that will drag on and on for hundreds and hundreds of years in the star wars timeline without any of the main characters......sort of like my girlfriend but thats besides the point!

I do not want to play as some droid of some nameless Jedi or sith! I wanted a good rpg where the storyline picks up form KOTOR II and centers around the character I'm playing. Not that I don't like mulitplayer games but COME ON! WHAT GIVES????

All in all, this was truly disappointing. I have no idea why bioware did this and for that matter I don't care. I do not like MMOs because they are all just a simple excuse for the fat *******s to make more money. I do not like this MMO even more because it tears a three hundred year gap into the storyline.....

p.s even though it does get old after a while.....I admit that that there is just something really attractive about the "galaxy in your hands" bit. And this MMO where the galaxy is in you and your friend's hands.......that kind of takes away from the........well....I can't think of the right word for now.

You have done well my apprentice. Now go forth, Lord Revan, and purge the galaxy of those who would oppose your destiny in KOTOR III! Do not hesitate! Show no mercy! Only then will you gather loyalty from your supporters on Earth!

Deep breaths, kid. The world will not end at this news. Darkness will not fall and the sun will rise. Basically, they threw over KotOR 3 for the moment. You never know what will happen in the long run.

It's not like they decided to make WoW with lightsabers.

Or Oblivion with guns.

"I have no idea why bioware did this and for that matter I don't care. I do not like MMOs because they are all just a simple excuse for the fat *******s to make more money."

NEWSFLASH: That's why BIO did KOTOR. For the money. Duh.

"p.s even though it does get old after a while.....I admit that that there is just something really attractive about the "galaxy in your hands" bit. And this MMO where the galaxy is in you and your friend's hands.......that kind of takes away from the........well....I can't think of the right word for now."

I'm glad you just admitted to being full of yourself, and arrogant. Not to emntion selfish. You want ALL the gory, and don't want to share it - not even with your 'friends'. You'd make a poor Jedi. Jedi shouldn't fall prey to such pride and arrogance - that was Anakin's downfall.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

ok...now that I am somewhat calmer.........*laughs sarcastically*......has bioware or anyone actually confirmed that the single player rpg for the xbox is out of the question? The best thing I could find was that quote about SWTOR being Kotor 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and so on. So....does this mean that they ruled it out as an option or does it just mean that SWTOR is just some side chain in the KOTOR context to make money? I've been trying to desperately find the answer to this question ever since I heard this news because I am still desperately hanging on to the hope that they will still make KOTOR III for 360.

So....does anyone know and if you do know, for good or bad, can you send me a link to the article that has some authoritative figure confirming it?

You have done well my apprentice. Now go forth, Lord Revan, and purge the galaxy of those who would oppose your destiny in KOTOR III! Do not hesitate! Show no mercy! Only then will you gather loyalty from your supporters on Earth!

Thread needs more Darth Trayus style mongouts tbh. Makes things so much more fun; nice injection of hilarity and all that.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Just give it like 3-4 years after the mmo tanks and we will have a new story with new characters and a new time line and new graphics engine and new combat system and new everything and life will be good. The game will sell well enough to where they decide to fast track a sequel, but it will be more like a version 1.3 with extra buggy features included. The star wars community will see it as a general disappointment but it's star wars and has light sabers so it's still awesome. Then a year or two will pass and everyone will be like omg where is star wars game number 3 supposed to come out? And then another couple of years go by and all those little boys and girls who were beloved fans of the game have grown older and more bitter. They tried to fill the gap. Reaching out to friends and family at first but to no avail. The hole in their hearts just seemed to grow deeper. Then they got introduced to black tar heroine and it numbed the pain in their soul, for a time. Next thing you know half a decade has past and your well into your way into middle school and your giving out sexual favors to the school janitor just to scrape up enough cash for a fix when you see it. It's a major announcement coming out of lucas arts and all the sudden that hole in your heart doesn't seem so deep anymore, for the first time in years your giddy with joy and anticipation. Later that day you jump off a bridge because it wasn't the game announcement you wanted to hear but instead it was George Lucas getting surgery to removed the immense fat deposits around his neck. It's a gd dmned shame.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

"I'm glad you just admitted to being full of yourself, and arrogant. Not to emntion selfish. You want ALL the gory, and don't want to share it - not even with your 'friends'. You'd make a poor Jedi. Jedi shouldn't fall prey to such pride and arrogance - that was Anakin's downfall"

ehem

Darth.....Trayus.......D.A.R.T.H. Trayus. Darth T.R.A.Y.U.S. like beTRAYAL and TRAItor. Would I really make a jedi of any kind? :sorcerer:

p.s. I always did enjoy playing the dark side more. It was by far more amusing....

And while Bioware does indeed "do it for the money" it is a much more optimistic to think that they make games for the "greater good" and entertainment of all star wars and rpg gaming fans world wide.....the MMO effectively "wipes this pathetic illusion from the face of the galaxy..."

Well, Hello all! I'm new here...the noobie. I will probably be blamed for not continuing the current chain of thought but I joined for one reason.....TO VENT!

MMO??????????

ARE YOU SERIOUS??????? I WAS LOOKING FOWARD TO THE BIGGEST RPG RELEASE FOR THE 360!!!! and then on my occasional check around the internet I come across this nonsense about THE OLD REPUBLIC MMO!????

It will not only be kotor 3 but "3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9," they said. I don't know. I'm feeling about ready to give em that number of PUNCHES!

KOTOR I was awesome. KOTOR II could have been better but still acceptable. KOTOR III was supposed to be the big SHOWDOWN!!!! LIKE THE HALO TRILOGY! But it turns out now that it's just going to be a never ending war that will drag on and on for hundreds and hundreds of years in the star wars timeline without any of the main characters......sort of like my girlfriend but thats besides the point!

I do not want to play as some droid of some nameless Jedi or sith! I wanted a good rpg where the storyline picks up form KOTOR II and centers around the character I'm playing. Not that I don't like mulitplayer games but COME ON! WHAT GIVES????

All in all, this was truly disappointing. I have no idea why bioware did this and for that matter I don't care. I do not like MMOs because they are all just a simple excuse for the fat *******s to make more money. I do not like this MMO even more because it tears a three hundred year gap into the storyline.....

p.s even though it does get old after a while.....I admit that that there is just something really attractive about the "galaxy in your hands" bit. And this MMO where the galaxy is in you and your friend's hands.......that kind of takes away from the........well....I can't think of the right word for now.

Yeah, we all need to vent sometimes. It might help you to try to look at the announcement this way: At least now we can finally give up on the KOTOR franchise and not hold on to any false hope that KOTOR 3 will be made in the future.

"I'm glad you just admitted to being full of yourself, and arrogant. Not to emntion selfish. You want ALL the gory, and don't want to share it - not even with your 'friends'. You'd make a poor Jedi. Jedi shouldn't fall prey to such pride and arrogance - that was Anakin's downfall"

ehem

Darth.....Trayus.......D.A.R.T.H. Trayus. Darth T.R.A.Y.U.S. like beTRAYAL and TRAItor. Would I really make a jedi of any kind? :ermm:

:sorcerer: I must admit that this is pretty hilarious!

I could look at it that way.....but why would a sith lord take this quietly. :sorcerer:

I could always start with XNA studio club and try writing it myself after I get some experience.....but thats taking it rather far. I do have a life....even if it is plotting galatic domination.....

But again, if someone comes across any article that confirms that SWTOR is replacing KOTOR III and not supplementing it please post the link so I can see for my own eyes who I need to force choke.........

"And while Bioware does indeed "do it for the money" it is a much more optimistic to think that they make games for the "greater good" and entertainment of all star wars and rpg gaming fans world wide.....the MMO effectively "wipes this pathetic illusion from the face of the galaxy..."

The greater good? L0L HAHA! That's a toolish comment. BIO makes games for THEMSELVES. They don't care about you, or I. Nor do we care about them. They only care about getting our money, and we only care about them making games we want to p0lay.. even if those games are not in their best interests.

Period.

So, this talk of BIO/LA/EA being selfish like it's a great sin when the reason the peons here ar eso upset over the MMORPG announcement is out of sheer selfishness as well.

Look in the mirror, I say.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Real Sith Lords punt jawas.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Real Sith Lords punt jawas.

Would they actually kick the Jawas or would they just see how far they can throw them with the force?

It would depend on the Sith Lord, but they're more likely to use the force. Sith Marauders would be inclined to physically punt them.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.