Why is ME better/worse than other Bioware games

Nick_i_am

"ME is worse than other Bioware games because of DRM"

DRM? What DRM? My copy had DRM!

", Volo likes it"

yeah, BL sucks too since I liked it. Oh noes! DR thinks BL sucks!!!,

"crappy looking graphics and from what I read dull story."

Better story than most other RPGs. R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Guest The Architect

I liked KotOR more than Mass Effect because the game was in the Star Wars setting. There wasn't any aspect of ME I enjoyed more than K1. I liked how in K1 the PC's voice was muted and I liked engaging in combat with the games enemies with blades, lightsabers and force powers rather than with big fat guns, sniper rifles and biotic powers, although it was quite fun to blast your enemies with one shot of a shotgun, though.

K1's graphics were never bad enough that it bothered me, so it doesn't mean jack **** to me that the graphics in ME are much better. And also KotOR had Jolee... who did ME have who was good? Sure, Wrex was a hard ass, but he wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. Garrus was pretty cool, though.

Both games are cheesy as hell, but lots of fun, in my opinion.

KotOR2 > them both, easily, though, even though it was ****ed up in the end for an all too well reason.

Edited by The Architect

ME is worse than other Bioware games because of DRM, Volo likes it, crappy looking graphics and from what I read dull story.

You think it's worse than other BioWare games... but you've never played it? It's your prerogative to not buy a game based on screenshots and reviews, but come on now.

Anyways, the DRM was bad, but I don

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

As a character, the only flaw I saw in Kreia was that she tended to be both obvious and heavy-handed at times. I expect a master manipulator and powerful Sith lord to have a lighter, defter touch. The classic example would be when the PC gives money to a beggar and Kreia lectures you as you watch a cut-scene. Not only does she overstate her case, but the KotOR switches from game mode to movie mode.

At the same time, I realize there are limits to the level of storytelling and characterization built into a game. You have to be blatant if you want players who are only casually interested in the story to notice what you

But the problem was more than the writer telegraphing Kreia's moves or beating the players over the head with blunt dialogue. Kreia's voice is supposed to be precise. To be convincing, she needed something more elegant than her clumsy, hasty, and constipated dialogue. The most egregious shortcoming of the dialogue wasn't the over the top nature. It was the fact that she sounded like the writer strove to make her appear clever, cunning, and deep rather than creating clever, cunning, and deep dialogue.
You do realize that this is, after all, a Star Wars product, yes? It's not supposed to be on the same level as Macchiavelli's Prince - it's a product intended for kids as well. It would take, I think, true literary genius to provide effective mental gymnastics for well-read people, without boring those merely looking for casual entertainment, all wrapped in elegant, subtle yet sharp writing. Has it ever been done? Can it even be done? In any given literary work, there's always going to be people who believe that X or Z wasn't tackled with enough depth...

I think your disappointment with her character stems from unrealistic expectations.

On top of that, the writing was filled with technical errors. Kreia isn't an online persona in a message board. We make grammatical errors all the time. We post typos and our language is imperfect. Fine. I can live with that. Hell, if Kreia's dialogue sported a one off grammatical error or two, I wouldn't have noticed.
Granted, I'm not a native English speaker, but I'm replaying the game ATM (go go thievery!) and I think that technically her lines are fine. Can you provide a few examples?

The story was fine; it was the same quality as KotOR, JE, and BG. The strange thing is that the people who seem to dislike the story the most have played BioWare
Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Wrong. Then again, you love KOTOR which is so overrated it's not even funny. Espicially since that game's main character plot line is pushed through on brainwashing. LMAO

ME > KOTOR

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There's a big difference between brainwashing and mind control, brainwashing happens all the time in real life. Besides, KOTOR characters had lots of different motivations besides brainwashing (or really corruption to be more accurate), the whole plot wasn't based on that.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Kotor was the better game.

Kotor > ME.

I'm siding with Volo in this thread so....

NO!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Ok, this is just getting silly. It all comes down to what you like, doesn't it?

Myself, I like characters. I like characters more than plot and action combined... MUCH more. And if you cut these games down into movies, that you sat back and watched passively, I could enjoy K1 several times, ME I wouldn't bother watching again and K2 I would watch over and over again. I can never get enough of Bao-Dur, Atton or Mira.

But you know that's just my opinion and opinions are like *. >_<

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

It all comes down to what you like, doesn't it?
Shh. People can and will demonstrate to you how the games they like are in fact better than those you like.

You just have no taste at all!

NO!

Myself, I like characters. I like characters more than plot and action combined... MUCH more. And if you cut these games down into movies, that you sat back and watched passively, I could enjoy K1 several times, ME I wouldn't bother watching again and K2 I would watch over and over again. I can never get enough of Bao-Dur, Atton or Mira.

But you know that's just my opinion and opinions are like *. >_<

SEX

That is not an excuse for lack of advancement, and in this case it was a significant regression. The story was completely ridiculous and full of plot holes. The biggest problem was that you were sent to all these different planets without much of a reason at all, and at the end of each completely coincidentally you discover something that advances the plot, and the mechanism of plot advancement itself is pure crap. Also mind control is about the laziest motivation for a character I can think of.

I'm not being snide, but I honestly thought this was refering to KotoR until I realised who you were >_<

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The reason you thought that was probably because every Bioware game since KOTOR used the same device (don't know about earlier ones) and some non Bioware games (like K2 and Oblivion). That doesn't discredit KOTOR though, and at least it was very clear what you were looking for, thus you actually had a good reason to go to every location.

The biggest problem was that you were sent to all these different planets without much of a reason at all

that was your biggest problem?

really?

i don't remember the specific reasons why i visited each planet in ME, but i'm pretty sure it was something to do with the investigation you were charged with. i don't remember the reasons why i visited the planets in KOTOR either, but the basic motivation seemed about on par with ME.

and at the end of each completely coincidentally you discover something that advances the plot

yes, you've really convinced me that KOTOR is radically superior to ME then...

dumber than a bag of hammers

No, if it just comes down to what you like, then you can't make any judgment at all, and any crap game is as good as a masterpiece because someone somewhere likes it.

No, if it just comes down to what you like, then you can't make any judgment at all, and any crap game is as good as a masterpiece because someone somewhere likes it.

Just like KOTOR! :ermm:

Wait, are you arguing for or against KOTOR? I'm confused. :o

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The biggest problem was that you were sent to all these different planets without much of a reason at all

that was your biggest problem?

really?

That was my biggest problem with the story, not the game overall, and I also said the plot advancement mechanism was crap, so you quoted me out of context.

i don't remember the specific reasons why i visited each planet in ME, but i'm pretty sure it was something to do with the investigation you were charged with. i don't remember the reasons why i visited the planets in KOTOR either, but the basic motivation seemed about on par with ME.
There wasn't really any reason, you went there because Geth were sighted, or "showed interest", I wonder how anyone knew that? And then the whole planet really had nothing to do with the plot, it was clearly shoehorned in. In KOTOR you were looking for parts of the Star Map, and the main quest on each planet was to find it, along the way you got involved with local goings-on, which I thought worked fine as a plot device.
and at the end of each completely coincidentally you discover something that advances the plot

yes, you've really convinced me that KOTOR is radically superior to ME then...

I don't even know what that means.

You're right, our personal opinons and enjoyment are moot in the face of superior game analysis logic! MOOT!
That's right, having an opinion is one thing, being able to back it up is something else.