Spore!

Kaftan Barlast

I have now playd through every one of the 5 "phases" in this game and even though it was quite obvious by the second one, I can now verify that Spore is nothing but an overhyped pile of rubbish. It might have been a clever move to release the creaturemaker before the actual game, because its the only thing about spore that is even mildly interesting. What was supposd to have been gameplay is just a very shallow blend of RTS and.. loitering about being generally pointless, to the degree that this game could have been made by the great Peter Molyneux, master of nonexistant game design.

Id advise anyone here to put his money on a real game instead.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

i ain't played a god-game since Civ 3. they're usually engrossing in the short term but dull in the long term.

i wasn't gonna bother with Spore but the recent NYT piece made me think i might buy it. now i'm thinking maybe not...

dumber than a bag of hammers

A friend of mine bought and played the game today and gave the same verdict.

He told me it was shallow, felt childish and lacked charm.

I tried playing the first few phases of the game - in the water.. which was fun, but really simple, it didn't seem that interesting as a creature on land.

Fortune favors the bald.

Since this thread might as well become useful I'll just sneak in a good review.

not saying that spore is a bad game, but does anyone actually trust sites like IGN for objective reviews? ain't they all just essentially hacks paid to write promo copy for the big game companies?

Since this thread might as well become useful I'll just sneak in a good review.

not saying that spore is a bad game, but does anyone actually trust sites like IGN for objective reviews? ain't they all just essentially hacks paid to write promo copy for the big game companies?

Apparently Moatilliatta does????

IGN and Gamespots reviews are about as reliable as those TV-Shop informercials, its only the publishers who dont want to or cant afford to pay for good reviews that get reasonably unbiased reviews.

The fact is that Spore is a shallow and rather dull game... correction, its a creature creator with a mediocre semblance of a game attached to it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I would probably hesitate to condemn a game that was trying to be different after only a few hours of play. I'd think it was possible that I simply hadn't got my head around what I was doing, and resolve to come back to it after a few days with a fresh approach.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Now Im close to spamming but the point is that Spore isnt different, nor is it trying to be. It lets you create a critter and then run that critter through a few RTS scenarios, and then its over or you start again with a new critter. Thats all there is to it.

For those of you who dislike Spore, did you like The Sims?

I just think that might be important for establishing personal tastes.

It would also be interesting to know opinions on the sequel as that one would have lost the newness factor.

I for one can't wait to make a carnivore species whose goal will be to devour the galaxy1.

1Or as close as it can get.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

The author of the review is Alec Meer who as a games journalist is quite good. For those who are still clueless Alec Meer is one of the four regular writers on Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

still, so what? just because someone writes well and has decent, independent thoughts in their spare time doesn't prevent them from being a hack for hire during working hours.

How long does a single playthrough take? Aren't you supposed to go from amoeba to intergalactic civilization or somesuch?

Do not listen to anyone's initial opinions on Spore. Until they've had at least ten hours with it, you don't understand the game in the slightest.

As for journalistic integrity, it's a well known fact that all reviews are bought and paid for, except the ones you agree with.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Again, what did The Sims get in these magazines? Look, these types of games are very different than the standard RTS. They really aren't designed for a hardcore gaming audience. They are designed for a larger public. It doesn't surprise me that Spore is being called childish, I think that is a fantastic moniker. I hope the game will be accessible to my daughter and my wife.

This is a continuation of The Sims concept, despite a dramatically different look.

Again, what did The Sims get in these magazines? Look, these types of games are very different than the standard RTS. They really aren't designed for a hardcore gaming audience. They are designed for a larger public. It doesn't surprise me that Spore is being called childish, I think that is a fantastic moniker. I hope the game will be accessible to my daughter and my wife.

This is a continuation of The Sims concept, despite a dramatically different look.

Pretty high, around 88% I think. And don't think the German speaking market is just about hardcore RPGs and Settler clones, nope. All I'm saying is that these reviewers, especially GameStar, do not shrink back to give even the biggest blockbusters objective scores. And I personally don't see either why Spore should receive raving high scores.

I have been hesitant about spore for a long time. From all the previews it never seemed like there was a game in there.

That said I want to keep an open mind, but if this is a game that is only really enjoyed by people who like The Sims then I sure want to stay as far away from it that I possibly can.