New Dragon Age discussion thread

Monte Carlo

It all really depends on what kind of spells / abilities there are, and stuff like that, for me. Classes are an excellent system for any party based RPG and there's nothing wrong with that. And their setting isn't weird enough to have completely different classes rather than Rogue, Fighter, etc.

What really matters is whether they just regurgitate the tired old Healing Potions and Fireballs and Whirlwind Attacks, IMO.

Edit: Hell, I'd be happy with that if they just had challenging AI.

[aside]Pidesco! Pidesco! Pidesco! [/aside]

What? :)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I will rent this game when it comes out on consoles, I guess. I can't wait to roleplay Boromir! He was such a dream in Oblivion.

I so much wanted to kill that git. Kill him with a bunch of arrows just for kicks!

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

It all really depends on what kind of spells / abilities there are, and stuff like that, for me. Classes are an excellent system for any party based RPG and there's nothing wrong with that. And their setting isn't weird enough to have completely different classes rather than Rogue, Fighter, etc.

What really matters is whether they just regurgitate the tired old Healing Potions and Fireballs and Whirlwind Attacks, IMO.

I dunno. In computer/video games story and characters are rarely of high enough quality to much differentiate one game from another. Its really the mechanics of the gameplay and the world building that give games of this sort personality. When an original IP just hacks up old AD&D and other been there/done that crpg cliches like a bit of old lung, it is not doing much to establish its own identity.

I guess one can commend them for being financially conservative and trying to maximize sales potential by releasing a vanilla product, but I'm a gamer not a stockholder so that really isn't a positive to me, personally.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

:: shrugs ::

I suppose it's just another trademark Biowarian straightjacket: linearity in all things. I am completely aware and relatively chilled out that some people like that, and that the mythical 'Joe Gamer' (to whom mainstream developers have built an altar that must be replenished with vanilla-flavoured design decisions every day) likes it that way. It's just that I don't, and as CG points out, it's technical design decisions like the ruleset that informs the flavour of the game as much as other considerations like NPCs etc (if not more so). FWIW, I couldn't get into Oblivion for reasons that have been oft-discussed here, but the open-class-with-templates system was on the money for me.

So, I choose a class with the option of a kit or prestige class. It's too D&D flavoured for my liking, sorry. The only thing they've done is dump a cleric / healer class (as Tolkienesque as the orc-like blight monsters).

As ever, am reserving final judgement until I play it, the rest of it could be so elegant that it doesn't matter.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

NWN looks awesome. It looks better than that horrible IE graphics.

Double R00fles. Even Arcanum's graphics are better than NWN.

I knew you would pop up. You could be offline and still sense someone bad mouthing NWN.

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

That is his not-so hidden super power. I would say that NWN1 looked good in its day when 3D graphics became standard in PC CRPGs. It is debatable if NWN1 looked better than the IE games, for beauty, as always, is in the eye of the beholder... Not the Illithid.

I will say that I enjoyed the IE series of games more than NWN1 and its expansions. After all I only bought NWN1 twice, and BG1 about 5 to 6 times for I kept wearing out the discs.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

NWNs graphics were, and are, hilariously bad.

Both NWN games reminded me of the old DnD cartoon in graphic representation. While Bethesda's TES games tried a "realistic" approach the Bioware and Obsidian tossed that idea out the window and went for a more cartoony look, which works in my opinion.

Even though I am not particulary interested in the game at this point (based solely on what I have read) and most likely won't buy it unless it gets a heck of a lot of praise from people (like Fallout 3 did), I very much hope it does extremely well in sales simply to keep the notion of the financial viability of the cropg alive.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That is his not-so hidden super power. I would say that NWN1 looked good in its day when 3D graphics became standard in PC CRPGs. It is debatable if NWN1 looked better than the IE games, for beauty, as always, is in the eye of the beholder... Not the Illithid.

I will say that I enjoyed the IE series of games more than NWN1 and its expansions. After all I only bought NWN1 twice, and BG1 about 5 to 6 times for I kept wearing out the discs.

They didn't even look good back in the day.

Hopefully DA will have a good story and character interaction to match the graphics.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Its a fact the rendering engine for nwn1 was dated out of the box. Most every review said so and was pretty obvious to any gamer. Had to do with nwn1 languishing in dev for so long gaming tech passed it by to some degree. But it still broke ground in other areas, it simply wasn't close to cutting edge or even 'average' for its time and certainly has not aged well.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

"Its a fact the rendering engine for nwn1 was dated out of the box. Most every review said so and was pretty obvious to any gamer."

Simply not true. Must explain why most reviews rated its graphcis very well, and most gamers loved its graphics. Sorry, don't let your own bias or internetz' geek fool you into thinking you guys speak for everyone.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.