Bioware/EA's KotOR Online leaked

Jaesun

linky

We've just spoken with N. Evan Van Zelfden, the writer of the report, who told us that when asked specifically if this game was "KOTOR Online", Riccitiello responded unequivocally, "Yes." So, there you have it
Edited by Jaesun

yotsuba2.jpg

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I am willing to give it a try. You can say that i am "Revan" to go.

HAHAHAHA!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I wonder if it will use the SAGA rules system from WotC.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Its strange that so many companies seem to be on the MMORPG bandwagon. It just seems to me that MMORPGs are one of the product niches where there just isn't a lot of room for a bunch of different ones to succeed. Most MMORPG players are only going to have time for 1 or 2 MMORPGs at a time, and for most one of those will probably be WoW. Given the ongoing cost of having to maintain the online world, it would seem to be a tough way to make money.

Star Wars through is probably an IP that has as good a chance as succeeding as any other.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Its strange that so many companies seem to be on the MMORPG bandwagon. It just seems to me that MMORPGs are one of the product niches where there just isn't a lot of room for a bunch of different ones to succeed. Most MMORPG players are only going to have time for 1 or 2 MMORPGs at a time, and for most one of those will probably be WoW. Given the ongoing cost of having to maintain the online world, it would seem to be a tough way to make money.

Star Wars through is probably an IP that has as good a chance as succeeding as any other.

Bioware likes challenges, so why shouldn't they try to get their hands on the MMO market?

Why? There really shouldn't have been a KotOR2. The story of KotOR was pretty summed up in KotOR1.

Well, yeah, I'll *play* it, but I'll definitely be hacked if a KOTOR MMO precludes a K3 being made. Really, really hacked.

WOuld one have an effect on the other? They would seem to be products aimed at different markets.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

But there was Kotor 2

This means very bad news for Kotor 3

Blizzard has continued the Warcraft lore and Warcraft's story in WoW, meaning Warcraft 4 in gaming world as it is never going to happen

Really, there's no reason for K3 anymore. Story gets continued in another, much weaker form

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Why? There really shouldn't have been a KotOR2. The story of KotOR was pretty summed up in KotOR1.

I don't think I even *know* you anymore! Maybe I never did! :p Seriously, though, A New Hope pretty much summed up Star Wars so they should never have made Empire, by that logic... and we all know that Empire is vastly superior to the others.

WOuld one have an effect on the other? They would seem to be products aimed at different markets.

It depends on when they set the KOTOR MMO game. The Old Republic Era is a really long time, so it could not have anything to do with it, or it could try to take over with rebuilding the order.

Edited by qt3.14159

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

whoops, fix'd

Why would they bother to use Kotor license and set it in other time period? Defeats the purpose

Edited by Xard

I'm going to have to agree here, K1's story closed very well, so well in fact that KOTOR 2 had a very different story with different characters in it. Everyone wants to know what happened to Revan, well you pretty much made the character, so just imagine what happened to him.

That's so disappointing. :p The KotOR franchise's greatest asset was its storytelling, and now they're making a game in a genre that can't have proper stories. Unless they think they can have proper stories in an MMO?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

There's no reason why there can't be a KoTot online and a KoToR 3. That would make the most sense anyway, since you could make multiple use of the same developement assets and yet hit both the single player and MMORPG markets as well as using the single player game to promote the online experience.

Closed story or not, people loved Kotor and that's why there was a high demand for a sequel. You can always create a new story for K3. Duh.

Only reason I want K3 is to see what the heck Avellone was up to

Glee!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Actually, the gigantic release of Funcom's Age of Conan makes it clear that the upper limit for MMO subscribers is really unknown. Plus, MMO's do taper off over time, and those players tend to look for greener pastures. WoW is king right now, but this KotOR Online is probably still years away from release, and who knows what the market will be by then?

You have quite a few MMO's going strong right now, and by strong I mean over 100k subscribers:

WoW (of course)

LotR Online

EQ2

AoC (impressive start, not sure on lifespan)

EVE

FFXI

Lineage 2

I'm probably forgetting a few, and there are some that manage to cling on to enough people to stay in business: The original EQ, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, D&D Online, Vanguard, SW: Galaxies (I think this one is ending)...