Valve Pimps PC Gaming

alanschu

Personally, I feel the consoles are fighting a war the PC isn't even in.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I wouldn't mind seeing Valve doing a MMO one day. They're very competent, and probably one of the most successful developer besides Bioware and Blizzard, so I really would love them to do something different than Half Life and TF.

Seeing as those games are five million times more entertaining than any MMO, I dont mind if they continue to do nothing but FPS games for eternity.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's a pretty slow time for PC gaming exclusives at the moment simply because consoles are so profitable right now with even hardcoreish titles, such as IL-2, making the jump.

I lament the death of the hardcore space sim, but it's a sign of the times.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Valve doesn't need a MMO per se, but it would be great to see someone make a sort of hybrid FPS MMO. I know Planetside tried it with limited success, but you look at how popular achievements are in TF, and how succesful games like Call of Duty and Battlefield have been with a type of levelling scheme. Valve might have the best credentials to make a really great persistent world like this.

The trouble now is that your choices are either single player or pvp in FPS games. I'd like to see more large scale co-op. The most popular part of any MMO is the PvE, so if an online shooter can somehow harness that, I think it could be great.

Valve doesn't need a MMO per se, but it would be great to see someone make a sort of hybrid FPS MMO. I know Planetside tried it with limited success, but you look at how popular achievements are in TF, and how succesful games like Call of Duty and Battlefield have been with a type of levelling scheme. Valve might have the best credentials to make a really great persistent world like this.

The trouble now is that your choices are either single player or pvp in FPS games. I'd like to see more large scale co-op. The most popular part of any MMO is the PvE, so if an online shooter can somehow harness that, I think it could be great.

Maybe something similar to Hellgate London?

Is that a shooter? I thought it was an action-RPG with skills and junk. I haven't heard a lot of positives about it though. There's a game called Huxley that is supposed to ecompass what I'm talking about, but I'm not sure if the company doing it can pull it off. I'd like to see one of these games without any fantasy element. Like Battlefield but over a persistent world landscape

Maybe if they just took the Guild Wars mechanics and made the gameplay a shooter we'd have an interesting game. Maybe, I'm not really sure I guess.

There's the MMO Huxley which is supposed to be launched later this year. It seems very focused on traditional FPS mechanics.

Then there's also The Agency (gametrailers.com) which is a first / third person shooter spy themed MMO.

I'm really not so sure that Valve would be able to complete an MMO .. they seem to have a hard enough time getting their single-player games out without massive delays -- how many times was Team Fortress 2 redesigned? :p

on the other hand PC killed Amiga

edit: Or was it Commodore... or both of them? :ermm:

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Is that a shooter? I thought it was an action-RPG with skills and junk. I haven't heard a lot of positives about it though.

That's because there isn't very much positive to say about it. It's a pretty crappy game, at least on release.

The only thing that made it appeal to me for a while was the views. If you played a character that focused on range, it would play in first-person view and it would have shooter-like mecahnics. Or shooter light. But enhanced with skills (but not accuracy, if you hit, you hit). So it's an action-rpg with shooter elements.

The rest of it kinda sucked though.

And the Commodore Amiga ony lost gaming to IBMPC, because the latter was the computer of choice for officework etc. and thus the kind of computer parents bought to do serious stuff and kids then borrowed to play games on. It was much easier to convince your dad to buy a computer for him to use for book-keeping, than to wish for an Amiga gaming rig for yourself.

My dad wouldnt let me have a commodore64 or an Amiga 500 because he thought they were just toys. Strangely enough, my first computer was an Atari 130 which was just as much of a toy if not more as it had no useful software whatsoever.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I thought Amiga gaming lost out to PC gaming because Commodore went bankrupt?

For years, Commodore drained their Amiga subsidiary of money to keep their PC division afloat, starving the Amiga for any significant technology advances until PC's actually started catching up, at least on the hardware front. As to whether Windows ever will be a good an operating system as the AmigaOS... I am less convinced. The only thing it lacked was proper memory protection (unsupported at the time by the Motorola cpus).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That's always been the case, the consoles compete against one another, not the PC. It's the gamers that make it an issue.

It couldn't perhaps be the game industry trying merge the console and PC markets that makes it an issue, hmm?

My dad wouldnt let me have a commodore64 or an Amiga 500 because he thought they were just toys.

Heh, my dad got a C64 and then an Amiga 500 for precisely that reason. The number one use for any of our systems have been gaming.

That's always been the case, the consoles compete against one another, not the PC. It's the gamers that make it an issue.

It couldn't perhaps be the game industry trying merge the console and PC markets that makes it an issue, hmm?

No. If anything the fact that we get more multiplatform titles and ports should prove the idea of a war wrong. So we have gamers fighting a war against one another with developers as the weapons dealers arming both sides.

Anyway, Pidesco is exactly right, the console companies are fighting a war amongst themselves. In both this generation and the last the battle is between Microsoft and Sony, with the Nintendo happy to do its own thing. None of them are competing with PC because there is no one PC company to compete against.

Hellgate: London definitely could have been better. It was fun to play through it as a marksman, and it showed that you can have a neat, skill-based system ala diablo 2ish in a FPS environment.

Hell Kitty: you're thinking of a war as a deliberate or planned thing. I'm talking about a war of quality; quality lost from the PC genre when the industry tries to merge two partially mutually exclusive market niches.

Eh, but you don't believe that console games and gamers are any different to PC games and gamers, so it's moot.