The Credit Card Prank

Tale

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit_card/

To make this thread more than simple "LOL, LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND, IS FUNNAH!" how about we discuss the flaws in credit card security and future developments in improvement.

I know that not too long ago, many credit card companies were starting to issue cards with photos printed on them. Which would be hilariously useless in a day and age where many stores let you slide your own card. But quite useful at places like Best Buy where they seem to have a policy of checking the name on the card with the name on the ID. I've even heard of some credit cards using biometrics. But, it seems people aren't generally concerned enough to demand credit card companies make a transition to such technologies.

Give the links a browse, laugh a bit, then come back and share your opinion on current and future credit card security.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yes, that is very funny.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

...this is unreal :blink:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

WHich is why I always double check signature and name on the card.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I would only accept that if the person signing was Volourn.

Giggles aside, I think that any mark you make from an "X" to a silly name is legally considered to be "your mark" of acceptance. Of course the vendor is supposed to check your card against your ID but thats unrelated to how you sign the document.

I could also be wrong about all of that.

i've noticed that many (if not most) places are getting better... i have to show my ID since i write "check ID" on the back, and at least 50% of the places i use my card ask for my id.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

btw, i should add, the whole "sign the back of your credit card" thing is moronic. you lose your card and now some forger actually has the real deal signature to learn from. difficult to dispute the charge when the CC company comes back and asks "is this your signature?" "uhhh, yeah... but i swear it wasn't me that signed for those HD TVs!"

taks

comrade taks... just because.

That was hilarious, but to be honest, it's not surprising that no one checks the credit cards. What the companies do though is when you make large purchases, they will call and verify the transaction with the card owner. I had two credit card companies do that. They also have so much dang insurance that they don't really care if a little fraud gets by. Nobody cares if you stole a credit card and your buying $10 in slim jims.

As a card owner, you just need to call and cancel your cards quickly if they go missing. My local bagel shop doesn't even bother having us sign the receipts anymore. It's a fairly unnecessary step.

The only thing ever to get my credit card company suspicious enough to call me was a $60 or $70 charge from the UK.

What did not get them suspicious enough to call me was an overseas purchase from Hong Kong.

Edited by Tale

Most shops where i have been to requires to show a personal ID on purchases over 50

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have a PIN number.

Or should that just be PIN?

Is it a debit card? Do you use it at the ATM machine?

I'm amazed at how much the author got away with. I can't speak for the US, but where I live if a business puts through a stolen credit card purchase, said business is responsible for paying the amount of the purchase if it comes back as stolen.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

My credit card has a PIN and can be used like a debit card if need be (but I'd pay a fix amount plus a percentage everytime I'd use it that way)... Anyway, fun read! Unfortunately I almost never got to sign a receipt as I mostly use it via PayPal for online shops...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I just read an article about how stores legally can't do anything if you refuse to show them ID. They can't refuse the sale, and you have no actual obligation to show an ID. It's written into the Visa and Mastercard contract.

I just read an article about how stores legally can't do anything if you refuse to show them ID. They can't refuse the sale, and you have no actual obligation to show an ID. It's written into the Visa and Mastercard contract.

Have a link, Hurly? I wouldn't mind reading that.

At least once a month I have to deal with an irate customer who refuses to show their ID . If they're so offended by it, they should just use their debit card or cash and quit the bitching.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Plus, my bank gives me a teeny-tiny cash back bonus for running my debit card like a visa - lets them hold onto my money for like 5 seconds longer.

I do the same although I get "points" instead of cash back.

I use my card for almost 100% of my transactions. I cant remember the last time I paid for something with cash, hell, I dont even carry cash.