So are you going to buy Mass Effect PC ?

Will you buy it?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Mass Effect PC

• Yes, Ill probably get it
    • Yes, Ill get it even though Ive already got it for the 360
    • No, Im not interested
    • No, Ive already got the 360 version
    • No, my PC isnt good enough
    • No, I cant afford it
    • No, I will download a pirated copy for free

I was very excited when I found that ME as coming to the PC. However, I then found the minimum system requirements :( My 5 year old computer won't play MEPC. I already now this since I downloaded the demo for Crysis, and it wouldn't play at all on my computer. The minimum for the GPU was a Geforce 6800(GT), same as the minimum GPU for MEPC. I have gotten a small tax return, though, but I decided to do something about my very old kitchen floor instead of upgrading my computer and to buy games I can actually play on my current computer instead of buying a new computer. (I also bought some books...)

And then there's the whole securom thing with the limited three activation things....which sort of factored into my decision not to buy MEPC as soon as it was released here in Europe. I can live without playing MEPC as I probably have about 50-100 games I can play...

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I will be getting it. I got the 360 version to play on my Dad's 360 but that console disappeared in the bottomless pit known as my brother's apartment so...

Anywho looking forward to playing it on my PC, see how pretty I can get it to look.

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

I am astounded that so many people are saying that their PCs will not be able to handle the game, I mean, even my laptop passes the recommended hardware requirements.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Mass Effect won't be on Steam for any forseeable future. Jade Empire was released under Bioware, but EA hasn't put anything out over Steam. It was speculated that this is because EA is wanting to build their own DD store. I don't know how well that's working out for them.

On a somewhat related note, Atari was supposed to put out a larger catalog over Steam not too long ago (perhaps a month or two). Many had hoped Neverwinter Nights 2 would be included. But it's yet to show up.

The word on ME's forums is that EA's DD store is worse than eating babies. And by their descriptions, it sounds pretty bad.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I am astounded that so many people are saying that their PCs will not be able to handle the game, I mean, even my laptop passes the recommended hardware requirements.

Yes, that may well be - but not everyone can afford to buy a new computer every 2

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

JE is better than KOTOR; not as good as ME.

I agree with this assessment.

I don't praise JE that highly. It is better than KotOR and NWN1, but worse than BG1, BG2, and ME. If I was to give it a grade it would be a C+ to B- compared to ME's A-, and NWN's and KotOR's C.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Yes, that may well be - but not everyone can afford to buy a new computer every 2

Heja Sverige!!

JE is better than KOTOR; not as good as ME.

I agree with this assessment.

I don't praise JE that highly. It is better than KotOR and NWN1, but worse than BG1, BG2, and ME. If I was to give it a grade it would be a C+ to B- compared to ME's A-, and NWN's and KotOR's C.

KotOR 2 is vastly superior to Jade Empire though

I'll get it, maybe, with ifs

FIrst I need to buy that 8800 GT though

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

My computer (5 years this August) only has an AGP slot...

You know, this actually doesn't have to be as bad a limitation as it sounds.

There's the Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512 MB GDDR3 RAM: http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=346359

Then there's 2 GB Corsair Value DDR RAM: http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=309659

And it's easy to find and buy the last (and hopefully fastest) CPU for your CPU slot on any online second sales site (I have no idea what you use in Denmark) cheap.

---

The graphics card linked above is a real beast (perfectly capable of running ANY game out there, yes even Crysis) but if your AGP port doesn't support 8xAGP, then don't bother. Even at 8x speed it probably limits the card some (noone knows for sure). Otherwise it's a very cheap way of making sure your computer lasts another 2-3 years. Probably below 2000 DK for the whole kit.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Thank you, Mkreku for this.

But does this not mean that I have to buy & install a new motherboard as well? I'm not that computer tech savy, so what does the CPU actually do? And can it be replaced ? My mottherboard ID is a Sprindale-G according to Everest - if that means anything to you ? And could I just buy the 2B Corsair Value RAM and the Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 card ---- and maybe a new powersupply if needed...

That chipset means your motherboard has a 478 Pentium socket which is a bit outdated. What's you CPU's clockspeed?

What power supply do you currently own?

EDIT: This is the best 478 socket processor available on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116027

Heja Sverige!!

Um, my computer lags with BG2. :ermm:

Granted, it was probably the SCSII mod with its new scripts. But the point is, it doesn't have enough processing power to handle new games, though the Card and RAM can. And I'm sticking with this computer for the rest of the year at least.

Having played NWN2, MOTB and Witcher at 5-15fps, well... Mass Effect doesn't attract me enough to suffer through that again. I may bargain-bin it, after checking out how its DRM does after release.

But then, I said this with Witcher too, and things didn't turn out that way. It's the CRPG craving.

Thank you, Mkreku for this.

But does this not mean that I have to buy & install a new motherboard as well? I'm not that computer tech savy, so what does the CPU actually do? And can it be replaced ? My mottherboard ID is a Sprindale-G according to Everest - if that means anything to you ? And could I just buy the 2B Corsair Value RAM and the Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 card ---- and maybe a new powersupply if needed...

You do not need a new motherboard if you're just going to upgrade the parts I suggested. Buying a new motherboard = buying a totally new computer and that's when the prices escalate.

The fastest CPU available for the Socket 478 is an Intel 3.4E GHz Springdale processor. It can easily be found on various auction sites. In Sweden you'd find it here:

http://www.tradera.com/Intel_Pentium_p4_Pr...uktion-65046853

Just look for it on the popular sites in Denmark, if you're interested. I am absolutely sure you can find it at a decent price.

Yeah, the CPU is replaceable but I don't know if I'd recommend someone to do that unless you know what you're doing. You need to remove the CPU fan first, remove the old CPU, replace it with the new CPU, add thermal paste and replace the fan carefully. It's the thermal paste that usually stumps people because if you put too little, your computer may lock up. If you put too much.. your computer may lock up.

Switching the GPU and the RAM is like building Lego. Just make sure you touch a radiator and throw out the cat before you start tinkering inside your computer case. And YES, you could just buy the RAM and the Sapphire and still get a good boost for your system. It's just that since I don't know what CPU you have right now, it could potentially be a serious bottleneck.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That chipset means your motherboard has a 478 Pentium socket which is a bit outdated. What's you CPU's clockspeed?

What power supply do you currently own?

EDIT: This is the best 478 socket processor available on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116027

Thank you so much for helping me out :) I really appreciate it :)

The clockspeed of my CPU is, I think, 2.4 Ghz.

The solution seems to have presented itself, though. I have been in contact with the firm that build my now 5 year old computer. And they say I can upgrade with a new dualcore CPU, a new motherboard, 2GB and a Geforce 8800 GT graphics card. I will then still have monet to spare... (tecnically the money does not come from a tax return but from a refunding of loans in my house; I just didn't know to to explain it else then...)

I'm looking forward to it. I'll probably place an Amazon order sometime this week. (BTW, there are some pretty hilarious anti-DRM screeds on the Amazon customer reviews.)

That sounds great Aries.

Heja Sverige!!

I just want to say that the Unreal3 engine that Mass Effect uses is very optimized and fast, so unless your computer hasnt been upgraded since 1999 it shouldnt be a problem. It runs on 1280x1024 the friggin xbox for cryin out loud! I can play Gears of War PC on my laptop, which is equipped with a very slow lowbudget graphics card(geforce 8400-something). ME is not Crysis.

I see alot of people pass up good games because they've bought into this whole hardware-scare, and thats really stupid.

The DRM stuff is a direct result of BioWare being purchased by EA. And as usual it will end up hurting the consumers, and not the pirates. The game will be available to download from all the torrent sites within days of release, or even earlier.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Its heavier than most CRPGs. A fully boosted Throw is quite fun to watch.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Is NPC development in ME still tied to the player's level like in Bioware's previous games?

Heja Sverige!!