Mass Effect PC gone Gold

If it's as good as some here say it is, then I'll definitely be picking this up...after I finish playing with NWN2.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

ME360 is a very good game, but I wouldn't touch the PC version due to its DRM SecuROM protection scheme.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Huh? That's hardly an argument for me. Never had any issues with SecROM or DRM stuff. But then again, if I'd have played the 360 version already, I wouldn't get interested to play it on PC again.

First problem I have with it is that it forces the player to be online to install the game. Secondly, you get only 3 activations with the game. 3. That is it. Once they are used up you get no more. There is no way even to unuse an activation if you uninstall the game. After 3 you have to call EA customer service and we all know how much a pain calling customer service can be. Too many limitations makes the PC version nonviable.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Moatie has it right. Only if they go under or cut access to the servers will they remove DRM, and not before. These draconian copy protection measures will only succeed in killing PC gaming. Because of DRM I am going to stick to consoles for all my gaming.

Yes, they did release a tool, Morgie, but EA/Bioware are not.

Edited by Sand

Hi! I like playing video games. You too?

Hey, if you didn't want to discuss MEPC why make a thread about it? :p

Edited by Sand

Bio stated before the fans would start to whine they'd just release a patch to undo that restriction, probably a few months after release.

That's good news, and sorts out my last remaining issue with the DRM. :p

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Bio stated before the fans would start to whine they'd just release a patch to undo that restriction, probably a few months after release.

That's good news, and sorts out my last remaining issue with the DRM. :)

That is only if they go under or remove server access, otherwise they will not release a patch, Steve. Bioware has stated this.

Edited by Sand

ME rocks. Worrying about DRM is lame. Enjoy the epic Space Opera.

I am not worried about it. I just won't buy a game that uses it.

First problem I have with it is that it forces the player to be online to install the game.

That's something I really don't like either and wish they'd stop going in that direction.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...I wouldn't touch the PC version due to its DRM SecuROM protection scheme.

Exactly. I would rather save my money for a product that does not assume I am a criminal because I bought a legitimate copy of the game.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm ready for it! My only question is do I wait a couple days to see how buggy it is or do I buy it right away.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't like online activation either. I'll wait and see if it doesn't end up in the bargain bin some day. Older games tend to have less of that kind of stuff when re-released as "nice price".

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You're going to wait a LONG time, then. This is the kind of game that stays on shelves excessively long.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

And? :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein