Go away teenagers!

GreasyDogMeat

oddly, my hearing is the opposite. i've always had problems with lower frequencies, and as such, i always bias my stereo systems with heavier bass and reduced treble. audiophiles that ride in my car hate it. i can hear all the electronics, for example, when i walk into department stores (which i think is from the metal detectors) in malls. it is maddening. that i'm nearly 40 makes this mysterious to me.

on one of the law and order:CI episodes they mention ring-tones for cell phones that only kids can hear. i wonder if i could hear those as well?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I have above-average hearing for both low and high, except for a sort of 'dead zone' between 15-17khz - that range seems to have to be really loud for me to notice much.

I'm probably not nearly as bad as it sounds like taks gets it, since if there's enough general noise in the background, I won't be bothered too much, but many things, both low and very high, drive me batty at far earlier volumes than average, or if it's there's not much surrounding noise. Fluorescent bulbs, electronics, diva-power-singers, low pitch vibrations or motors/fans, etc.

My sense of smell might be even more sensitive. I'm not sure which is potentially more distracting. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i just had directv installed and had one of the units with a dying hard drive. most people, including my wife, can only hear the whirring sound all the HDD accesses make. i heard the high-pitch squeal that went with the whir. it was unbearable. the new unit they sent seems quiet so far.

taks

They're close to banning it because it doesn't discriminate (i.e. attacks nearby babies as well as rowdy 14 year olds equally).

Could you elaborate on who these baby-eating communists are that want to ban it?

Also, do you know if they have harmful effects on these babies or are they just annoying them?

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

i just had directv installed and had one of the units with a dying hard drive. most people, including my wife, can only hear the whirring sound all the HDD accesses make. i heard the high-pitch squeal that went with the whir. it was unbearable. the new unit they sent seems quiet so far.

taks

Gromnir went to berkeley. the notion of unbearable noise was purged from our being a long time ago. am suspecting that people who has been married a long time have a similar ability to simply tune out undesirable noise.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

They're close to banning it because it doesn't discriminate (i.e. attacks nearby babies as well as rowdy 14 year olds equally).

Could you elaborate on who these baby-eating communists are that want to ban it?

Also, do you know if they have harmful effects on these babies or are they just annoying them?

I think it generally makes sense. It is unfair to use a weapon that doesn't discriminate targets. These weapons hit everybody below the age of 30 essentially. Still, I'm not going to lose any sleep if the weapon isn't banned.

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/15/026209

It doesn't sound ethical to me, either, to use a device like that for public areas. Especially since I'd probably personally notice it ... maybe not as loudly as a teen might, but it'd still bug me.

It is odd tho how I have that 'dead zone' that is, perhaps, normally fading out with age, but stuff much higher than that zone I can still hear perfectly.

My dad had a favorite story about a friend of his who thought his new speakers sounded muffled, but much later learned that he had a lot of wax deep in his ear. Doctor cleaned it out and everything was fine. So I wonder how many older people would hear a little better if they had their ear canals thoroughly washed out...since that's not something people do very often, if ever. Q-tips now and then, but not actually flushed out. o:)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

am suspecting that people who has been married a long time have a similar ability to simply tune out undesirable noise.

9 years... i can tune out one specific pitch: from my wife's voice when she's scolding me. :(

taks

It doesn't sound ethical to me, either, to use a device like that for public areas. Especially since I'd probably personally notice it ... maybe not as loudly as a teen might, but it'd still bug me.

It is odd tho how I have that 'dead zone' that is, perhaps, normally fading out with age, but stuff much higher than that zone I can still hear perfectly.

My dad had a favorite story about a friend of his who thought his new speakers sounded muffled, but much later learned that he had a lot of wax deep in his ear. Doctor cleaned it out and everything was fine. So I wonder how many older people would hear a little better if they had their ear canals thoroughly washed out...since that's not something people do very often, if ever. Q-tips now and then, but not actually flushed out. :(

Q-tips are more likely to damage your eardrums than clean your ears out.

And they push most of the earwax further into the ear.

They do wor well enough to clean th exterior parts of the ears, which coincidentially are the parts you should worry about. Everything else that has to do with earwax should be handled by a general practitioner.

I personally use my little finger, which in my experience works well enough. Just remember to clean it afterwards or people might start to avoid shaking your hands or touching your keyboard.

Derailing threads is fun.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

The whole Qtips are dangerous thing is over-rated. At least if you're an average adult with most of your fingers still attached and the brain to know not to push them too far in. I've swabbed the ear folds and poked them in my ears for 20+ years ... haven't harmed my eardrums or my hearing yet.

Normally I'd agree 100% with that, but I had my hearing tested not long ago (along w/a lot of other stuff...). Which is how I know about my average hearing 'loss' in that small frequency range and the still above-average hearing ability in many higher and lower ranges. :ermm:

If you poked your eardrum, you'd know it. Maybe some people have ear canals that are more shallow than mine or something, increasing their risk w/Qtips. I think mine are pretty far back there.