PC Zone UK first look preview

Looks good, not overwhelmingly "I'll crush Crysis graphics!!", but I'm not the graphics whore type anyway.

But please Obsidian, please do something about the look of Thorton. He looks like a French croissant-baker rather than some agent. He needs a tougher face.

And I'm not so sure about the Syriana theme. I guess Obsidian aims for a more "intellectualized" (if that makes sense) ambiente rather than "Mr. President we have to make things exploding, because we're the good guys" sort of crap. Well, good luck anyway. And don't forget to make the chicks worthwhile.

tradipat-patissier.jpg

McSneakers undercover in France?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It didn't even mention NOLF. "Deus Ex is the only spy thriller" pfft. Sure, NOLF might be more of a game version of Get Smart than James Bond, but it still deserves a mention!

I noticed there's a screenshot of an Arab terrorist. Hopefully this game approaches Arabs and Muslims from a logical standpoint (i.e. they're also humans, the majority aren't terrorists) but hopefully it also isn't afraid to be realistic (some of them are fanatical terrorists, the Middle East is an unstable and less developed region, and the atmosphere of religious/minority intolerance in some Middle Eastern countries is thick enough to cut with a knife - consider, say, Iran and the statements its president makes).

To be honest I hope this game isn't

a) a propaganda piece about terrorism and the greatness of America

b) lefty politically correct garbage that's afraid to portray any Arabs or Muslims in a negative light, but completely willing to degrade and criticise American and/or Western culture (for example, the The Last Enemy)

Deus Ex took a refreshing approach to the above matter. It managed to be sufficiently theoretical about the world's future, yet also make points relevant to today's society.

Essentially, this game's proximity to today's timeline, and it's apparent focus on current world events concerns me. The only way it can pull something like that off is if something sufficiently big and realistic has happened since today (2008) to make the world sufficiently theoretical (that is: different) rather than a lame contemporary social commentary (in favour of whatever ideology).

Anyway, it answers a few questions that have been floating around these boards.

Oh, and I have a feeling (or hope) that this game might employ aspects of chaos theory. In the sense that the player's actions as a spy, while might be intended to produce one outcome, in fact produce another.

I hope our actions and there consequences in this game a) exist, b) aren't fully predictable (I hope it isn't black and white as in: good causes good outcomes, bad causes bad ones).

I believe the idea of a bungling secret agent who's not yet a good spy, but means well and is trying to stop a conspiracy is particularly attractive as a plot if said secret agent isn't all powerful; if even though he's super-stealthy, super-strong, super-persuasive, still isn't god, and thus can make mistakes, can make things worse.

Hmm I'm failing to convey my idea. Essentially I think that this game could be like Syriana (haven't seen it) in the sense that while Thorton might certainly be a super spy at some point in the game, that doesn't make him supreme arbiter of justice, or saviour of the world. Obsidian will hopefully design the game such that whilst Thorton might be extremely skilled, things pull together more though luck and (possibly unintentional) exploitation of flaws in the enemy's plans than because Thorton is just "really really good".

I'm thinking anti-hero kind of stuff. Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-hero

Kind of like the heros in the novels Colony and Incompetence by one of the makers of Red Dwarf.

The secret agent in Syriana was a fat middle aged man who ultimately failed to achieve anything except perhaps a small amount of personal salvation.
But please Obsidian, please do something about the look of Thorton. He looks like a French croissant-baker rather than some agent. He needs a tougher face.
I don't see the problem with an undercover agent having a plain, unremarkable appearance. After all, plain looks are hard to remember looks.

Right. Nobody would believe that somebody looking like this could be a kick ass operative, right? He's more like the friendly neighbor type you always see mowing the lawn and stuff.

main1.jpg

Bourne is ok, but Bond is kinda over-doing it.

Daniel Craig

Hmm.. While you're all rejoicing, this news disturbs me slightly. Please, Obsidian, show some integrity and common sense and don't make this about today's world politics. I saw one of the locations you could visit was Saudi Arabia.. the tone of the game is influenced by Syriana.. It sounds like a great platform for more American war propaganda.

Please don't let every bad guy be a "foreigner".. and don't let us kill generic Arabian "terrorists" by the hundreds without consequence. Show us you have a wider view of the world than what FOX News brainwashes their audience with.

Have you watched Syriana?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I don't see the problem with an undercover agent having a plain, unremarkable appearance. After all, plain looks are hard to remember looks.

Dark Angel?

Never watched that.

The next-door guy I posted plays SGM Jonas "snake doctor" Blane, leader of a spec ops outfit in "The Unit". Good stuff.

There's a Dark Angel episode where one of the genetically engineered soldiers (special ops/spy sort of thing) is deliberately designed to be unremarkable, unthreatening, unimportant, normal and forgettable; he's fat, has freckles and is thus essentially invisible.

He also has an amazing memory and immense extrapolation powers (designed as an organic, mobile tactics division), but that's neither here nor there.

To be honest I hope this game isn't

a) a propaganda piece about terrorism and the greatness of America

b) lefty politically correct garbage that's afraid to portray any Arabs or Muslims in a negative light, but completely willing to degrade and criticise American and/or Western culture (for example, the The Last Enemy)

I don't think you will be disappointed. The world is a complicated place and even though this is a video game and a work of fiction, this is something we hope to present thoughtfully.

Agreement with Patrick. An "M" game that's about more than just shootin' dudes? CAN IT BE DONE?! We here at Obsidian don't just think so, we know so.

::screamin' guitar solo::

Annie, we have already heard about the chick-bagging part. :) You'd better be more specific if you want us to be excited about how mature Alpha Protocol is. Hint: summary of a morally gray quest or some dialogue extracts would be appreciated. :)

20795.jpg

Well, I'm pretty certain that AP is going to be a fantastic game with intelligent writing. With Brian "Bloodlines" Mitsoda being the creative lead there is really no other option. I was simply trying to get something more substantial than "an agent goes rogue after screwing an imortant mission" from Annie.

20795.jpg

Agreement with Patrick. An "M" game that's about more than just shootin' dudes? CAN IT BE DONE?! We here at Obsidian don't just think so, we know so.

::screamin' guitar solo::

:)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

This game sounds great so far. The only things that I'm concerned about are the visuals and the art style. It looks rather bland in some of the screenshots. I'm not too sure about only having three dialogue stances (or options) but as long as they're significantly different and offer different consequences, I guess that'll make up for the lack of choices.

I don't get this "blandness" thing. Nobody has yet to see the game in motion. Who knows how colourful and vibrant it will be?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Actually, the "bagging the chicks" line was taken out of context (and of course I got all whiny about it myself like a big McWhinypants). There really is far more to how things are handled - I would love to go into specifics, my chickadees, but - 'tis not my place to say, alas, as much as I know hand-fluttering "trust us!" gets bandied about in this world of ours. Suffice to say I feel very confident in stating that the characters are nuanced, multidimensional, and completely radsome. ::wink::

Oh and also for you guitar fans ::second screaming guitar solo, unexpectedly sweet ballad-ey part, then ANOTHER screaming guitar solo::