What you did today

Walsingham

Is it just me or is theslug the least likely person to become an accountant, ever?

And why am I not a good candidate to become an accountant? I'm a terribly reclusive and embittered man who is likely to be married to his job. I'm the perfect person to be an accountant.

Or a mass murderer.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Assuming cellar = basement then the presence or lack thereof depends on your location. For example, up here in the North almost all homes have basements but in the South (IE: Florida) not one house has a basement. This is generally due to the fact that the water table is within 10-15 feet of the surface and the placement of a basement below that level would create a host of flooding/seepage problems.

that and florida is basically a big rock anywhere near the coast. digging a basement would be a bear. you can get basements in the inner part of the state, such as in orlando, btw. they're significantly above the water table there with dirt under their homes.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

No cellar for any of them?

my guess would be that they do have a basement and just don't show it on the floorplan (given that he's looking in TN). of course, there are plenty of homes out here (CO) that don't have a basement, either. it adds a significant sum onto your home price, which might not be the best route for a single person such as GD.

taks

Ah, if you see it like this it can make sense not to have a basement. Kind of. But how are buildings without basements fastened to their surroundings? I mean, a flood or hurricane could push them away without them being anchored into the ground :sorcerer: You see, I'm from an ocean-less country :brows:

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Ah, if you see it like this it can make sense not to have a basement. Kind of. But how are buildings without basements fastened to their surroundings? I mean, a flood or hurricane could push them away without them being anchored into the ground :sorcerer: You see, I'm from an ocean-less country :brows:

not much chance of either a hurricane in tennessee. a flood is possible but only in low-lying areas. most developments are generally rated for a low risk of flood. you still have a concrete foundation sunk into the ground, as well as a "crawl space" below the house most of the time (in florida, i had no crawl space). the hole just isn't deep enough for a full basement.

it's interesting out here in colorado. you can't put grass up next to your house because the constant watering causes the clay to expand and contract (as it gets wet and dries) which ultimately cracks your foundation. as a result, i have 4 feet of rock all the way around my home.

on topic, i was just looking at homes by john laing (www.johnlainghomes.com) since i have one by them already. they have a new location called promontory point going in up in monument. my boss is talking about moving (where he lives) up to denver, and several of the other guys that work for us live up in the monument area (which is closer to denver than colorado springs is). i mentioned that i'd like to move north anyway (more trees by monument), and he's considering moving the office up somewhere between denver and the springs. besides, i want to move to get a bigger yard anyway... -_-

that's what i've done today.

taks

Edited by taks

Dear Diary,

I haven't slept in 36 hours. I wa shelping out the people at the Relay for Life/Cancer walk-thing... don't remember why I was there. I think I've reached the point where I don't really do the things I do, I just kinda flow through the air. Seriously, I think my brain is too tired to send out messages to my arms, so they start acting by themselves. So far they haven't done anything particularly stupi- ... uh...

Never mind.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Today, I mowed my parents' lawn and bought a train ticket with my first credit card. A freaking credit card...

Pay it off and destroy it.

Credit cards are evil.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

This is it! This is going to be the new Doghouse! It's a little more than I wanted to spend, I'll just have to cut back on a few other projects but I LOVE the model I saw yesterday. I'm going up this weekend to pick flooring, cabinets, counters, paint, trim door etc and sign the contract.

http://jimwalterhomes.com/Home-Models.asp?...;series=Classic

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ah, if you see it like this it can make sense not to have a basement. Kind of. But how are buildings without basements fastened to their surroundings? I mean, a flood or hurricane could push them away without them being anchored into the ground :bat: You see, I'm from an ocean-less country ;)

Heck I live in South Florida now and I hit water digging a 1 meter deep fence post hole. My house now is on a concrete foundation. The new one will be the same. My new property is not in a flood plain but it is just 12 miles from the Mississippi River so basements are out of the question there.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's quite nice GD. I like the floor plan, very simple and practical. I can't stand the retarded design that I've seen in many of the houses built out here. You should have that the kitchen wall between the family room knocked out on top and made into like a bar top imo. Having the kitchen closed off just seems weird these days. Unless of course you like that sort of thing and want to perpetuate the way of the old south and start enslaving people with your quote "Plantation" home.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The story of a community, the drama, the ups and downs. The Obsidian Bloggers are unstoppable. Read all about it!

Continued here: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=49878

:bat:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein