What you did today

Walsingham

Been trying to rescue an old PC (2x10 GB HDD, one of which is corrupting data, Athlon 1100, 768MB Ram. Used to be a top performer :*) many an hour today. Watched "Bedazzled" while chdsk was running and found it to be mediocre. Listened to the "Human equation" since and am loving it :*

Fitting to the theme of Shrykes post, I found an old email of an ex on this PC. Strange, her too. Inviting me to Skype or something after we broke up for good...

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I applied for a job today for which I have almost none of the professional qualifications for, but at least know that I'll be one of very few applicants, who may or may have those qualifications. The job opened today/yesterday and it starts monday. Not a lot of time to find applicants. Someone wants some part timers to work with a couple computer technicians to install systems for a few companies around town.

...Leading on from old thread. So you know, we have to limit thread size to make the forums run smoothly. It was ether this or the blood of countless innocents, and frankly that sounded like too much work.

It's a complete myth that closing long threads helps the forums run smoothly. The forum software doesn't store a thread as a whole unit; each post has a unique key and exists independently of a thread, meaning you can make a thread as arbitrarily short or long as you want and it won't speed up or slow down the forum.

The only thing that significantly slows down a forum is search, which is why you disable it for guests, impose a time-limit between searches, and don't allow searches for less than 5 characters. However, search efficiency still remains independent of thread lengths. :*

I'm kinda responsible for this policy Krez. When I was modding at UnForgotten Realms ( and Interplay ), the admin at UFR found that the server load started to bog at around 500 posts. Because of this, I kinda spread this policy as 'gospel' whenever long threads were created. I started this at Interplay when the Iraq war threads started in an attempt to alleviate server load ( and hence protect the YOP forum ) and carried the policy wherever I went from there. The 500 post recommendation here was mine.

Probably the best member to ask about this would be the Guildmaster.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Finished moving. Not finished with all the little stuff that goes along with moving.

I hope we don't have to move again for at least six years.

Nice thing: our cable internet is much faster up here, since we can get a Comcast business account w/absolute static IP's, which we couldn't down where we were before. We had to switch to a different firewall unit cause the old one was too slow and limited the incoming speed. :lol:

Not-so-nice-thing: I'd forgotten how much more drivers are "crazy and rude" up here, on average. I'm sure it won't take me long to join in as being one of them.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The area you're supposed to use as a living room is so much smaller, it was hard to find a spot for the cat's sleeping basket that he liked. We finally found a spot, but in the winter, he's gonna have to move. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Very nice tv and that rocking chair is pretty snazzy. Cat is always a plus maybe even a double plus. Nook in the wall almost sent me into a blind fury of hatred but I'll hold back. :ermm:

Congrats.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Don't like those pollutin' fireplaces eh? :ermm:

We don't use them very often, but once in a while it's nice. Tho now that we have wall heaters we can stand in front of, we'll probably use the fireplace even less often. I love gas wall heaters...they don't make me sneeze.

Don't like those pollutin' fireplaces eh? :p

We don't use them very often, but once in a while it's nice. Tho now that we have wall heaters we can stand in front of, we'll probably use the fireplace even less often. I love gas wall heaters...they don't make me sneeze.

We have a gas fireplace that gets a fair bit of use and another wood burning fireplace that hasn't been used in decades. The wood burning fireplaces was all cleaned out when we moved in and it currently holds our living room stereo. :shrugz:

Went to pick up my new pair of glasses today. I had to leave my other pair there because the lady working the desk couldn't find a replacement screw small enough to fit my old frames. The new pair though has just confirmed what has been suspected for many years. My eyes are crooked. My right eye is just slightly higher than my left.

Edited by Deraldin

Don't like those pollutin' fireplaces eh? :shrugz:

No I meant the odd place next to the fire place with your little bookcase thingy or w/e that is. Considering its a living room it's a strange arrangement. I just hate architects becuase they get paid like 100k for something I did in drafting class sophmore year of high school with less retardedness. My bitterness just has intensified because we've been looking at houses lately and a lot of floor plans are horrid.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Ohhhh, that nook. :p Well, it's a smallish house, and a lot of the older houses like this one don't have fireplaces that are flush with the wall - not uncommon. The other side of the fireplace is in the garage, which I also think is a bit odd. The living area is an open front/living/dining area in the shape of a stubby, backwards L, so the front door opens right into the living room, by that big window, if that makes sense.

Some of the houses we looked at were really crazy floor plan wise, so I feel your pain. But the lot has room to expand so we might change things around later.

My bitterness comes from how even small houses like this one cost $550K-$700K....

I left my pretty promising job today because I couldn't stand looking at spreadsheets and analyzing financial data anymore.

I'm gonna take some science courses and apply to med school. Its what I've always wanted to do.

Wish me luck. :p

I left my pretty promising job today because I couldn't stand looking at spreadsheets and analyzing financial data anymore.

I'm gonna take some science courses and apply to med school. Its what I've always wanted to do.

Wish me luck. :p

Wow, that's awesome.

Good luck mate!

Wish me luck. :)

Good luck :p

Going through resumees today, looking for new developers.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

helped some friends make a rat cage for their new pet rodent

hehe, had drinks in the weekend, and drunkenly acquired a really cool concrete statue of a woman's torso

it's now sitting in the corner in our lounge, and i'm really tempted to put a bra on it :p

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I've been trying to make up my mind what brand and model of plasma tv I should go for. I've got my eyes currently on a 42" Samsung or a 50" Panasonic. The last one is a bit more expensive. Tips and tricks what to look out for and which questions to ask in the retail stores would be welcome.

Edit: I am a tv nub. The last TV I purchased was a Sony 15" Trinitron for my c64 20 years ago.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I really like Panasonic plasmas, but the Samsungs we looked at seemed fairly decent too.

All I can say is that once we became used to the 50", which didn't take long, we started thinking "glad we didn't buy the 42"." So I'm gonna have to vote for the 50" over the 42" if you have the space and the money. Especially if you're really into watching DVD movies/shows or HD programming etc. ... or when programs wants to put black bars both on the sides and on the top/bottom. Argh.

The one advantage of 42" is that it's going to be a little more tolerant of poorer image quality (old video tape collections, poor TV signals etc) in terms of you being able to watch such from a closer distance without going "UGH".

Edited by LadyCrimson

Thanks for the input. Money isn't a problem, I just don't like the feeling of paying extra for nothing :rolleyes:

Yes, I do mostly intend to watch DVD movies on it, so I am not going to sit rubbing my nose against the TV o:)

Yes, I do mostly intend to watch DVD movies on it, so I am not going to sit rubbing my nose against the TV

I've been surprised how close we can sit to the 50" and still think it looks fine, actually. Although I'm not sure what our eyeballs might actually think ... o:)

And today I did some yard work and bird-photographing.