Tactical, realistic FPS

Pidesco

Now that the Rainbow Six threw the tactical planning map and the realism out the window, are there any FPSs out there, or in development, that follow the original Rainbow Six formula? For those that don't know, this means having the aforementioned tactical map, and an heavy emphasis on realism with accurately modeled weapons, proper damage models, and no healing during missions.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah, but that came out 2 or 3 years ago. What's new?

Ghost Recon was quite realistic, but I heard that when they added the AW, the realism bit was axed. Isn't this true?

Heja Sverige!!

I hope the new X-Com game from Irrational/2K will follow a similar route, but so far I can't think of any game right now except RB6 Vegas 2.

That's still a rumor, though, and X-Com is usually a strategy game. Also R6 now has health regeneration among other things which make it a game to avoid for me.

Heja Sverige!!

Yeah, but that came out 2 or 3 years ago. What's new?

Ghost Recon was quite realistic, but I heard that when they added the AW, the realism bit was axed. Isn't this true?

GRAW 2 is fairly recent, and pretty realistic if you play on the harder difficulties.

Could you elaborate?

Also, Google came up with Ground Branch.

Heja Sverige!!

The GRAW games are pretty much the same as R6 Vegas without the nifty cover system. I think it's the most real you can get with AAA games right now.

I used to love games like R6 and Ghost recon, but the extremely stale combat an nonexistant AI finally became too much for me. Something like CoD4 is just so much more fun.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Better AI used to be the point of waiting for new Tactical FPS titles for me. I kept hoping for some tactical game to show with properly good AI. Never happened, unfortunately.

Heja Sverige!!

That's from the guys who did Flashpoint, right? I prefer urban settings, though.

Heja Sverige!!

Call of Duty 4. You get shot like once and your dead. And terrorists.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Armed Assault apparently isn't that great unless you REALLY need a new Operation Flashpoint fix, otherwise, just stick with OFP + addons.

It might also be worth your time to look into Hidden and Dangerous 2, though it's not exactly what you'd call hyper-realistic either (though it's cirtainly a tactical squad based FPS with good AI that rewards intelligence over reactions).

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

GRAW is the most realistic game I've ever played, and I admit it's pretty damn fun. Though I'm sure Rainbow Six is more "tactical".

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I hav not played any R6 game wher you had unlimited ammo, and Im sure I didnt miss any of them. What are you talking about? Ok... fine, the pistol in Vegas has unlimited ammo, but since they screwed up the cyclic rate, its usless.

And spaking of tactical games, is it just me that gets really annoyed when they screw up the rate of fire/cyclic rate of autofire guns in games? I played a bit of CoD4 and it really bugs me that the RoF is all over the place. Automatic fire goes like this "ratatatatatatatata" but in alot of games its all jerky like "rata..tat..ta..ta...tatat..ta". Ive always loved the R6 and GR games for getting the gun sounds perfect.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If any one of your team mates die, thats it, game over. Nevermind that you don't give a rats ass about the useless chunks of meat unless you need to spot an enemy, which they seem to be quite masterful at.

R6 gets a 10 out of 10 for sounds, and a 5 for everything else.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Ahh, Raven Shield. If only my computer hadn't started freezing whenever I entered planning mode...

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Thats how it should have been done, instead we got Jack Bauer and his 24 hours of unlimited ammo and tac team that you come slowly to loathe. And i mean, why, I have never run out of ammo once in that game, and if I ever did, every dead tango carries a full stack of clips.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Thats how it should have been done, instead we got Jack Bauer and his 24 hours of unlimited ammo and tac team that you come slowly to loathe. And i mean, why, I have never run out of ammo once in that game, and if I ever did, every dead tango carries a full stack of clips.

GRAW on the other hand is endless fun when youve played for 45min just to come face to face with a tank, and you've spent your last AT4. Running out of ammo just plain sucks.