Character love stories

Speaking of ignoring...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

anyhow, what stuck me as odd is that in k1 we have fell fledged romances BUT, towards the end they fizzle out, bastla kisses revan and then walks out on him and carth dosn't even kiss FPC

They didn't show the, erm, love scene :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Guest The Architect
Just like you can just ignore him.

That's what we do!

:'(

that is a fine suggestion :)

As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Edited by The Architect

anyhow, what stuck me as odd is that in k1 we have fell fledged romances BUT, towards the end they fizzle out, bastla kisses revan and then walks out on him and carth dosn't even kiss FPC

Was a little Carth affection too much to ask for? :) This topic was canvassed a great deal on the BioWare boards, I assure you. ;)

At any rate, it surprises me how much people enjoy the romances in games. I was afraid I was alone there. :p

For Knights of the Old Republic I fanfic goodness, please visit Sweetie's Works of Fiction

At any rate, it surprises me how much people enjoy the romances in games. I was afraid I was alone there. :lol:

No way. When I arrived on these boards just after Kotor 2 was released, they were a hotbed of Bao-Dur/Exile romance fever. Personally I really enjoy romances in games, and the thought of a soppy love story motivates me to replay certain games more than others. I must have been through Baldur's Gate 2 half a dozen times purely in order to explore the romances - both Bioware's and the work of various modders. I still haven't completed the Aerie romance - one day I will. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

No way. When I arrived on these boards just after Kotor 2 was released, they were a hotbed of Bao-Dur/Exile romance fever. Personally I really enjoy romances in games, and the thought of a soppy love story motivates me to replay certain games more than others. I must have been through Baldur's Gate 2 half a dozen times purely in order to explore the romances - both Bioware's and the work of various modders. I still haven't completed the Aerie romance - one day I will. :)

This is great! :) I joined the BioWare boards years ago so that I could talk at length with others about the Carth/Revan romance in KotOR 1 and I've even got a mammoth fanfic that I'm *still* writing that fleshes out both my version of Revan and the romance.

I've played BGII more times than I can possibly count, both with and without mods. I've played it so many times because of the Anomen romance.

I'm glad to hear that guys like them too because I was afraid that, for a while there, I was under the impression that it was mainly women who liked them. However, hubby just confirmed that he enjoys them too. I can get a lot more involved in the story when there's a relationship of some sort between my char and her party members.

For Knights of the Old Republic I fanfic goodness, please visit Sweetie's Works of Fiction

At any rate, it surprises me how much people enjoy the romances in games. I was afraid I was alone there. :)

They are a big plus for me, as far as immersion is concerned. And in RPGs immersion is everything...

The lack of deep relationships in K2 is a bit of a letdown in the midst of the game's otherwise excellent writing.

At any rate, it surprises me how much people enjoy the romances in games. I was afraid I was alone there. :)

No way. When I arrived on these boards just after Kotor 2 was released, they were a hotbed of Bao-Dur/Exile romance fever. Personally I really enjoy romances in games, and the thought of a soppy love story motivates me to replay certain games more than others. I must have been through Baldur's Gate 2 half a dozen times purely in order to explore the romances - both Bioware's and the work of various modders. I still haven't completed the Aerie romance - one day I will. :shifty:

Funny. Aerie is the one romance I haven't completed either, and I have played this game to death. I think it's her whiny attitude (coupled w/ her less-than-optimal build and stats) that throws me off...

Funny that, I think Aerie, like Quayle(sp?), is a great asset to an otherwise well-rounded party. I mean, let's face it, BG2 is the easiest IE game, after the player has filled the needed roles in the party or; thief, healer(read:Jaheira), tank(Jaheira again) or two and somebody to lob projectiles and identify stuff(hey Edwin!), there's usually one or two spots open for anyone available. In this case the choice is probably between Haer'Dalis, Mazzy and Aerie and, frankly, I'd rather have someone with a megaton of spells(especially healing ones, so there is less resting and waiting) and a sweet outlook than a wannabe paladin who uses short swords of all weapons and reaches just to my waist or a bard who's melee-oriented(lol). Then again, you might prefer Haer'Dalis' attitude, as I often do. Anyway, I really like my cleric/mages, they are anything but suboptimal. Features include, e.g access to both spell-lists(raise dead, negative plane protection, prayer AND sequenced fireballs), can use helmets and shields unlike mages, can use turn undead, etc. So they can't reach all the high level spells? Well, damn. Good that every other mage in my group can then!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

The problem I see with Aerie is that she can work both as a mage and as a cleric, but can excel in neither role. Edwin is an excellent mage (cheat-quality good, in fact). Viconia can cover all your healing/buff needs. Aerie's problem is the same as Jaheira's, with the added disadvantage that she can't work as a second-line tank (which is the best Jaheira can aspire to, given her scarce HPs), meaning she can't take the heat off you squishies if need be. To fill that extra slot I'd much rather take another tank (Keldorn or if I'm playing a paladin myself, Korgan) or a custom-made bard, even. But it all comes down to personal preference, I guess. Her personality is the biggest problem for me.

Ten times better than Kotors

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The problem I see with Aerie is that she can work both as a mage and as a cleric, but can excel in neither role.

Funny, I think that's her greatest asset. Cleric/mage is a support combination, not a game-winner. That's why I always take her(and make one in IWDs). She has such a massive amount of spells and can work in so many roles. Aerie's always the one who has that one anti-buff I was looking for or happens to have a restoration or 3 sequenced fireballs handy. She also has the handy feature of not having a pressing life quest going on and no need to, for instance, go meet a dysfunctional family or go clean a mummy-filled tomb while I'm busy looting troll corpses.

And Jaheira is the best tanker I've ever had in a crpg, with maybe the exception of Korgan(because I can just haste him and forget about it). Her frontline-casting abilities far outweigh both the semi-rangers in the game and Keldorn. Sure, she's not that splendid when unbuffed, but I don't mind, I have a panther(iirc) with Iron Skins on. And no, I didn't find her character spectacular either.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Well, it's obviously a matter of preference. I feel more comfortable playing with characters with a clearly defined role, but I can disregard that if they have an interesting backstory and/or personality. If they lack both, they are a no-no for me.

I was kinda disappointed with how Jaheira's romance proceeds. She starts from an overly self-protective attitude and then evolves to a revenge-driven attitude. But despite all that <charname> and her have been through together, she never stops watching you and comparing you to Khalid (what's so great about that guy, anyway. He could barely speak). There's a feeling of lingering mistrust for the duration of the game. Carth's attitude is somewhat reminiscent of hers...

I don't know what's the deal with romanceable NPCs always having issues, anyway. It's almost a cliche by now. I so wanted a Shar-Teel romance.

-Shar-Teel: I spit on your manhood!

:lol:

Edited by random n00b

Yeah, Carth was paranoid, that's for sure but he turned out to have a good reason for it. :ermm: What I really love about his romance is that he's a lot of fun. He likes it when the female PC is sassy with him, which was really a refreshing change for me. The first time I played I wouldn't touch any of the snappy answers and I was floored when I found out that he not only was okay with it but would then engage in back and forth teasing with the PC. I also liked how, in the end, he overcame his anger and paranoia and his hatred for Revan and fell in love with her. I thought that fit in so nicely with the themes of redemption that are so central to the game if you play as an LS character. While I do really enjoy the Anomen romance in BGII just because of the sheer depth and progression of it, Carth was a lot more fun than Anomen.