Conan & 3.5E

Rhomal

I am going to start a 2nd game of MotB to follow behind my current game. I thought I would be fun to create the Conan character, during the PC generation aspect of MotB I was thinking how many levels Conan (from the movies) would have in rogue vs barbarion. I was thinking 5 levels of rogue and the rest in barbarion but would like to get other thoughts on the matter. I has seen other builds on the internet with some levels of fighter as well but I think thats a stretch (plus triple classing him will just make playing a epic level module that much harder as I'll prob never get any good epic abilities) any input?

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Barbarians get the rogue's trap sense and uncanny dodge abilities. Why would you want to multiclass your character? Make a pure barbarian instead. This class has some nice epic feats that enhance the barbarian rage.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Barbarians get the rogue's trap sense and uncanny dodge abilities. Why would you want to multiclass your character? Make a pure barbarian instead. This class has some nice epic feats that enhance the barbarian rage.

I understand your logic but you are missing my point. My goal isn't to metagame and create the baddest PC, its to emulate as best that can be done via the D&D rules the Conan char and that does mean multi-classing, on some level.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

The hardest thing is probably going to be fighting in no goddamn armour.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Shouldn't it be easier to fight in no armor? :)

LOL...

On a serious note, while Conan was a bit into the rogue profession he wasn't all pro from what I recall (in either the books, comics or movies). How many times did he get caught trying to sneak? And I do not believe he ever tried to disarm a trap or pick a lock in any story I read... So perhaps lvl4 rogue would be fitting for him.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

I understand your logic but you are missing my point. My goal isn't to metagame and create the baddest PC, its to emulate as best that can be done via the D&D rules the Conan char and that does mean multi-classing, on some level.

No, I got your point. I just don't think Conan should have any rogue levels at all... It isn't because he can sneak or whatever that he also is a rogue. Conan is a full-fledged warrior. His only truth is the sword. Btw, that is the advantage of 3ed: any class can spend points in hide, move silently or open locks. They can pretend to be rogues, but will never be as good as a pure one... That applies to Conan as well...

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Conan is a level 1 rogue at most. He wasn't really much of a thief on The Tower of the Elephant. Plus, he can always use his cross-class skill abilities as a barbarian to touch up his thieving skills.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

hhhmmm you peeps make good points. Perhaps give him the learned feat (since he was ej-u-ma-cated by that band of monks when he escaped from being a gladiator/slave) and that would make easier to give him some points in thief like abilities.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Conan was a very decent thief in Tower of the Elephant, dodging tigers(well, almost) and guards, climbing the tower, etc. After that he apparently did a lot more gigs as well(if comics are to be believed). Not to mention, he worked as a corsair for a decade, which wasn't mere headbashing. Conan has a working knowledge of stealth, rogue's craft and general swashbucklery, and I'd say he'd be at least a level 4 rogue. I'd like to say 6 or 7, but that would start to outweight the barbarian aspect. The main point is that for a time his...profession wasn't a "barbarian", which is a reason to enough to not make him a pure one.

As for being unarmored, well it depends. In Phoenix in the Sword, Conan wore armor and he's used stuff like padded leather before, it's just that the standard Cimmerian is the Red Nails-Conan who fought naked waist up. Sort of a misconception really, Conan probably wasn't stupid enough to gear up like that when the job was known to include battles and raids and not just tombraiding in the tropic, for example, it's not a huge stretch of mind to imagine him wearing armor when he worked as a mercenary in the steppe or a caravan guard somewhere else.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Not if you based your character on the books rather then the ****ty film.

If you read any of the original stories, he always wore the most appropriate gear for the situation, including full plate armor in Hour of the Dragon.

Edited by Lyric Suite

Those dodging skills of Conan can also be attributed as a "barbarian" skill. Though yes, Conan not only a "barbarian" but is/was a thief/pirate/mercenary/captain-general of mercenaries/king. But through and through, he is a barbarian. His thieving skills consist mostly of his taking advantage of his natural agility and litheness. Not so much on his ability to pick locks or pockets. It should be noted that though Conan is massively strong, he is equally agile and quick thinking. In DnD terms, he probably should roll 20's in all attributes.

As far as his armor preferences, Conan (in the Robert E. Howard stories -can't speak for the comics) likes to wear light chainmail.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Hour of the Dragon was freaking awesome.

*ahem*

I think I agree with Leferd, Conan was never a professional thief. If we go by D&D standards, rogue levels, at least only a couple of them, probably isn't unaccurate. It's just that there probably is a prestige class or a combination that fits better and is a more valid choice for him.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

hhhmmm you peeps make good points. Perhaps give him the learned feat (since he was ej-u-ma-cated by that band of monks when he escaped from being a gladiator/slave) and that would make easier to give him some points in thief like abilities.

That would be the best way to go IMHO... Make sure your character has a high dexterity in order to match up with Conan's agility...

I still think Conan isn't just a dumb barb. Some multiclass should be involved.

Edit: Also, I haven't felt this geeky in a while, but Howard's Conan is so great.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Howard's Conan is great. Though I will freely admit that Arnie's portrayal is badass. I'd like to see him and John Milius get back together to do King Conan.

I'd like to see Phoenix in the Sword done as a feature lenght movie, with Milius and Arnie. Makings of a modern epic there.

kirottu said:

I still think Conan isn't just a dumb barb. Some multiclass should be involved.

Edit: Also, I haven't felt this geeky in a while, but Howard's Conan is so great.

How I started MotB:

Conan

human

barbarion: 14; Rogue: 4

learned feat, thug, power attack, cleave, great cleave, extra critical bastard sword

str: 16

dex: 14

con:16

int: 12

wis: 10

chr: 12

primary skills (over 14 points):

appraise, intimidate, bluff, tumbling, search, spot, listen

minor skills (no more then 14 points):

diplomacy, armorer, survival, heal

Sound pretty fair?

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Uuh, nice. Of course, the stats cannot really amount to Conan's superman-like robustness, but in terms D&D, I think that your build is pretty spot on. Interesting choice though, bastard sword.

kirottu said:

Uuh, nice. Of course, the stats cannot really amount to Conan's superman-like robustness, but in terms D&D, I think that your build is pretty spot on. Interesting choice though, bastard sword.

Why do you say that? His sword in the movies was a bastard sword (sword and a half) from the size, grip..?

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Sorry, I didn't mean that choice was wrong. Just making an observation. I see your choice is based on something.

kirottu said:

Sorry, I didn't mean that choice was wrong. Just making an observation. I see your choice is based on something.

Did he have a primary sword in the howard books like the movies? (Been so long that I read one I cant recall) Or did he not have any attachment to a specific weapon and just used whatever happened to be around at the time?

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Int. of 12? Really? I'd say the wisdom is right, but I'm not sure Conan was much of an intellectual.

Remember once he was released as a gladiator he was taken in by those monks and taught to read/write as well as tactics and combat. I'd say he certainly has more education then a typical commoner and I believe most of the Conan writings back up that opinion as well from what I recall.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---