Bioshock: Here there be spoilers

Pop

There's only one real choice in the game as well. As soon as you harvest your first little sister you close yourself off from the "good" ending.

Yeah, but that's a choice people going for the "good" ending have to repeat many times over.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That doesn't make it any less simple.

Show me a complicated choice in a game.

Y'know, aside from choosing between Viconia and Jaheira. Sometimes that was indeed a tough choice. Hmm, I think I just answered my own challenge. Good day to you, sir! GOOD DAY!

Which makes the game nothing more than a prettier-than-average shooter with a better-than-average story and much-better-than-average immersion.

So, you conclude that the game is "nothing more" than "better-than-average?" GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR! You've just gone and broke me head. It stops here |, but here is nyah -> NYEEEEEH WAAAAAAAAH!?

Edited by Tale

That doesn't make it any less simple. Which makes the game nothing more than a prettier-than-average shooter with a better-than-average story.

If you want to do it the simple way, just look into the folders and watch all Videos via Bink&Smacker player. I prefer to play the game as I please i.e. harvest and rescue the LS as I please without restricting my playstyle just in order to get a specific ending.

Edited by Morgoth

I would have preferred it had they actually accommodated different playstyles outside of combat, instead of making only 1 playstyle really significant and throwing every other playstyle as "bad".

It just seems a tad anticlimactic, seeing as how the hype was all about "moral dilemmas" when it's really not even a balancing act, but an on/off switch that they tempt you with throughout the game, and making one bad decision out of many good ones is indistinguishable from being the worst guy imaginable. Except for different music at the end. What they should have done was ask if you'd rather save or harvest every little sister in the game at the beginning, and make that your default action throughout the game. Same difference. I've already played this game once, it was great fun, yay, now I'm having a hard time not throwing it away. As one-night stand games go, it's damn near perfect, but what matters to me is being able to go back to it later. I can't do that with Bioshock. It's an artful flash in the pan.

Show me a complicated choice in a game.

I thought it was fun how you had a better than binary choice in, say, Gecko in Fallout 2. You could do nothing, destroy it, save it, or push too hard to save it and end up dooming it (although this doesn't happen in-game) I don't know if you'd call that "complicated", per se.

Edited by Pop

It's cool that Frau Tennenbaum is voiced by the same actor as Delacroix from SS2. I recognized her immediately. Ryan sounds familiar too, maybe the same guy who did Korenchkin? Does anyone have a list of all Bioshock Voice actors?

The list in in the back of the manual, though it doesn't say which characters they played. I too thought she sounded liked Delacroix, but she isn't listed in the manual.

Oh, and as for spoilers, I found the good ending to be the happiest ending I've seen for a long time. It was very nice, tugged at the heartstrings etc.

I've seen a number of complaints around that people don't like being locked into the bad ending because they only harvested a few girls and saved the rest. Because killing a whole bunch of little girls is bad, but killing a couple isn't too bad at all.

I finished Bioshock today, did the good thing and had a heart-warming outro. Awesome game,

and it wasn't actually a bad thing what Irrational did with the twist. Anyone who played SS2 probably saw it coming and the betrayal aspect - manipulation in it's purest form - is sort of a Irrational mainstay, you learn to expect it from their games. Not to mention, once it happened, the player really feels like everyone is against them and, like a twist should be, everything goes upside down.

Of all the three twists,

one being your identity, another Atlas' identity and third being your eventual change into your enemy, I could only foresee one, which is pretty damn good considering the medium. It's funny when you look back on the game and see that they dropped you ample hints throughout, like those visions in key spots focusing on your family members and tons of audiologs explaining character relations.

Martin Warner - Ocean upon his shoulders[bioshock Main Theme]

*sniff*

Truly, I have gazed upon the face of perfection. Or nigh enough.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

There's only one real choice in the game as well. As soon as you harvest your first little sister you close yourself off from the "good" ending.

I harvested the first one and saved all the others and I got the good ending. There is so much I missed in this game, but I feel exhausted after finishing it so I'm not starting again just yet. Hard mode beckons though... :)

Would you ****ing kindly!

Awesome.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Got the game today. Played a little bit of it. It's pretty good consideirng the type of game it is. The earlier hype for it was big time misleading. Thankfully, threads like this fixes one's expectations so it cna be enjoyed for what it is not what it was thought to be.

Best part of the game is the atmosphere plus the music. Combat is blaisse (very early though), and everything else is eh.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Finished it. Nice but it could've been so much more.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...uation-BioShock

Yahtzee is a terribly creative guy. Aside from Zero Punctuation, he also makes freeware adventure games that have recieved some significant popularity. Most famous appear to be the 5 Days a Stranger "Defoe" or "Chzo" series, however you like to refer to it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...uation-BioShock

Yahtzee is a terribly creative guy. Aside from Zero Punctuation, he also makes freeware adventure games that have recieved some significant popularity. Most famous appear to be the 5 Days a Stranger "Defoe" or "Chzo" series, however you like to refer to it.

Brilliant.

That was so very good.

Although it sort of escaped me why Bioshock was steampunk. Ryan is an electric engineer and I don't think I saw any steamworks or such.

Plus, this is the third time I hear about the game picking style from Fallout and I don't think the comparison is fair. Art deco and futuricism aren't exactly monopolied by Fallout.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I don't think I saw any steamworks or such.

The turrets, cameras, door locks, and even vending machines had plumbing.

Edited by Tale

I thought that was just an abstractation of the hacking, pipe dream remake and all. They seemed pretty electric to me. Then again, the liquid did move slower if you froze them.

Well, it's not like that makes it steampunk.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Well, it's not traditional steampunk. They use water and heat for power, it's a geothermal based steam power, as opposed to a coal based steam power. It just lacks the pipes venting exhaust out of every orifice of the machinery.

I actually never understood why the hacking system used pipes and water until I saw that video. Because it's an abstract notion of how steam powered turrets and cameras would function.

Edited by Tale