Virginia rolls out the $3550 speeding ticket

Kelverin

Story

"This 4th of July weekend Northern Virginia motorists will take to the roads for beach excursions, backyard picnics and patriotic partying. But don't speed, and definitely don't drink and drive, because hefty "abuser fees" are waiting for lead-footed motorists at the courthouse.

In Virginia, new laws go on the books next week aimed at curbing highway speeding and drinking and driving. Virginia motorists convicted of traffic violations will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1 with assessments of up to $3,000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as the points remain."

They should have a law against using a cellphone while driving.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Story

"This 4th of July weekend Northern Virginia motorists will take to the roads for beach excursions, backyard picnics and patriotic partying. But don't speed, and definitely don't drink and drive, because hefty "abuser fees" are waiting for lead-footed motorists at the courthouse.

In Virginia, new laws go on the books next week aimed at curbing highway speeding and drinking and driving. Virginia motorists convicted of traffic violations will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1 with assessments of up to $3,000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as the points remain."

Radar/Laser detectors are also illegal in Virginia. Right?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think all these laws punishing drivers is beyond dumb. It sounds like a horrid mix of greed and delusional over protectiveness by nanny states.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm in favour of 'Kato units' like in the Pink Panther. Teams of law enforcement pranksters whose job it is to simulate crisis conditions at inopportune moments. If you fail they simulate the relevant injuries.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Why exactly are radar detectors illegal in Virginia? Here (Georgia), they have to show the proper evidence from the detector if you contest it.

Pop, how fast was your friend going? I got caught going 23 MPH over and it was only 200ish. If it'd been another 1 MPH i'd have lost my license though, as I was under 18 at the time :sorcerer:

Why exactly are radar detectors illegal in Virginia? Here (Georgia), they have to show the proper evidence from the detector if you contest it.

Pop, how fast was your friend going? I got caught going 23 MPH over and it was only 200ish. If it'd been another 1 MPH i'd have lost my license though, as I was under 18 at the time :sorcerer:

Radar detectors, not speed detectors. Radar detectors are devices you put in your car that tell you when a police officer is using a speed detector on your vehicle. Some actually claim to block the police officer from detecting your speed, though I have no idea how valid that is.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Y do i have to live in VA?

Retreat, Hell! We're just fighting in another direction!" - General O.P. Smith (North Korea 1950)

"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton, Jr.

"I have no sympathy for people who intentionally break the law and get caught."

Aren't there laws that disallows many silly things? I mean, if a place made it illegal NOT to own a slave; I guess you would cheer if a non slave owner didn't follow that law? R00fles!

Well, I have no sympathy for the guy who put a gun to my face then got arrested 30 minutes later because he was pulled over due to a tail light being out. I only regret he isn't getting the full 25 years in prison which he deserves.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Aren't there laws that disallows many silly things? I mean, if a place made it illegal NOT to own a slave; I guess you would cheer if a non slave owner didn't follow that law? R00fles!

Calling speed limits silly is akin to calling laws against waving loaded guns around silly. Only a car is a bit more dangerous.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Wow, thats up there. Even for you

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

A friend of mine in Georgia got a speeding ticket that cost her $850. I thought that was harsh, heh.

I got one in South Dakota back in 1993. It was around $60 and the cop (state police) gave me the option of paying him there and then. I handed him three $20 bills and that was it. I always wondered if he just went to lunch with that $60 rather than turn in the ticket.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Pop, how fast was your friend going? I got caught going 23 MPH over and it was only 200ish. If it'd been another 1 MPH i'd have lost my license though, as I was under 18 at the time :)

10 over. I went 10 over in a work zone in CO and got a $120 fine, but Hij was on the interstate and there wasn't a work zone or a school crossing or anything, and apparently it was very late at night and she was basically alone on the road. Who knows.

I would appreciate it if people would stop quoting Volourn. I have him on ignore, and it physically pains me to accidently read his bizarre logic. I have a doctors note, if you need to see it.

Just because something is illegal doesn't make it immoral. I have no perosnal problems with people speeding. Espicially, since 99.9% of drivers do it without getting into accidents. Speeding to me is not a problem; it's lack of control of the car is where the problem starts.

I mean isn't there that one super highway somehwere in Europe that allowspeople tod rive at 'insane' speeds comapred to most NA places yet supposedly they don't, in comaprison, all that much problems with accidents due to that speeding?

Game over, DUDES, game over.