Only in my hometown....

Kor Qel Droma

Interesting, canadians spell check "cheque"

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Chris Benoit is a murderer.

A MURDERER I SAY

He is also dead. Dead I say. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

It is simple regional differences in linguistics. Although English is one of the most difficult languages in the world to master as a second or third language, American English is simpler than the English that has been influence greater by British culture such as Canada or even Australia. That is why we have one spelling for check, while having multiple meanings, while Canada has two spellings for check/cheque, with each spelling having their own definition.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Interesting, canadians spell check "cheque"

What's going on, eh?

Pop and Sands are being hosers, eh. Not getting any effects your sense of humor after awhile, eh.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Sorry, but I am not a pair of hosery. :)

It is simple regional differences in linguistics. Although English is one of the most difficult languages in the world to master as a second or third language, American English is simpler than the English that has been influence greater by British culture such as Canada or even Australia. That is why we have one spelling for check, while having multiple meanings, while Canada has two spellings for check/cheque, with each spelling having their own definition.

damn, and I thought it might have something to do with the french influence in Canada, or some newfie thing. In anycase, my charolais hawkeye , a thousand curses on your house

Edited by Laozi

Chris Benoit is a murderer.

A MURDERER I SAY

liestf2.gif

Why yes, I was looking for an excuse to use that.

And Kor, I'd would say that I wish the same happened here, but in BC no one ever gets caught for holding. :D

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

And Kor, I'd would say that I wish the same happened here, but in BC no one ever gets caught for holding. :D

I can remember a time when 130 grams would get you a nice sentence for dealing. Go courtroom congestion, go!

And seriously Pop, what does Benoit have to do with any of this? Did your mom not give you enough attention today or something?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Although English is one of the most difficult languages in the world to master as a second or third language ...

maybe if you live outside Europe - English is like a big mix of all the languages here - some Old Norse (from the viking occupation), some German, some Gaelic, some Latin (from the Romans) and alot of French (more Latin) making it quite easy for anyone on the continent to understand English in a fairly short time, if they should wish to learn it.

Fortune favors the bald.

^ Yeah.

When I was young I used to think it was only silly yanks who dubbed most of foreign movies (boohoo I can't read subtitles), then I understood what our lovely european "friends" have been doing. Geez, those damn french and germys dub EVERYTHING, same with most of other southern/middle european countries.

Hell, at least we scandinavians are smart enough to not do it. :)

Truly there is no horror greater than to hear Clint Eastwood say "Kussas on mun hopotiti"

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Actually I would argue this makes American English quite a bit harder to learn. Not only do you have to learn the word, you have to learn a whole bunch of other words, then learn how grammar works so you can relate the words to each other and place the word in the proper context in order to tell which form it's taken. :)

Languages with separate written words for similar sounding words you see the word written down, you know the word, you know what it means.

Edited by Fenghuang

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Hell, at least we scandinavians are smart enough to not do it. :)

That has probably more to do that the Scandinavian market isn't important enough to dub them into...let's say, Finnish. And it doesn't matter whether you watch TV in English or your own native language, TEE VEE is always bad for you!

Yes it matters. Apart from children's films (in which it is only natural) dubbing is nearly always bastardization of original work. Besides, adults should be able to read some damn subtitles. It is because of this stupid "localization" of games we europeans tend to get games later than others.

There's no excuse for dubbing movies for people old enough to read and undertand what they are reading. Yes, same for dubbing [random european language] to english. There's no excuse. If american wants to watch french movie then they should also listen the natural language for movie. Same with music. If you want to listen Rammstein's Engel it doesn't mean you have to make english version of song!

Scandinavian market isn't important enough, true, at least partially. That makes no difference with this matter. It should be noted that stuff is dubbed (not only children's movies) here, but we don't do needless dubbing that has no actual benefits. It isn't coincidence that northern countries tend to be better in english than - as an example - Czech Republic. It isn't only because fewer years of studying in schools, it is also because cultural influence by english-speaking countries is lesser.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Yes it matters. Apart from children's films (in which it is only natural) dubbing is nearly always bastardization of original work. Besides, adults should be able to read some damn subtitles. It is because of this stupid "localization" of games we europeans tend to get games later than others.

German dubbing for movies is mostly better than the Original. But that's more for Hollywood productions where I don't care for the language finesse anyway. Smaller movies however are better in Original. Like some French Comedy or some trashy Japanese Samurai Fiction, which is meant to watch in it's original language to get the subtle humour. Games otoh are almost always better in Original (English), or in case of Gothic, in German. Luckily enough, for the most part I've the option.