Only in my hometown....

Kor Qel Droma

German dubbing for movies is mostly better than the Original. But that's more for Hollywood productions where I don't care for the language finesse anyway. Smaller movies however are better in Original. Like some French Comedy or some trashy Japanese Samurai Fiction, which is meant to watch in it's original language to get the subtle humour. Games otoh are almost always better in Original (English), or in case of Gothic, in German.

The first sentence is not true at all in my opinion, as everything is better in its original language... 'Better' in the sense of: The best representation of all meaning, connotations etc. Translation is ALWAYS a lossy process. I agree with the rest though, and I'm really glad that there's always at least one cinema in town that shows a movie in its original language and that there's the internet that allows us to order games in their original language.

English is like a big mix of all the languages here - some Old Norse (from the viking occupation), some German, some Gaelic, some Latin (from the Romans) and alot of French (more Latin) making it quite easy for anyone on the continent to understand English in a fairly short time, if they should wish to learn it.

No language spoken by a people is just a mix, unless it's a pidgin language, which then is also simplified, that has become a creole language. English is quite related to Old Norse anyway, as they both stem from Germanic (English - like current German - from Western Germanic, Norse from Northern Germanic), and to Latin, French and Celtic too, which are all Indo-European Languages. This is what makes it relatively easy to learn (on a basic level) for most Europeans, except the poor Finns, Basques, Hungarians and Latvians ;) Of course occupations and other cultural contacts contributed much to the current language (but also more 'false friends' for learners than the common origin Indo-European), but it's not just a mix, but has evolved in it's own way and definitely deserves to be called a language in its own right: Its an evolution with many different influences, not a mix.

Ahem :)

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Where I live the man could have been sentenced up to 5 years in prison and up to $7,500 USD in fines. I think the man got pretty damn easily.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

As Im sure you know, all laws have a min/max sentence, your example being a max.

Well, duh. That is why I had the words "up to" to show that. Minimum is 6 months in prison and a $1000 fine.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Are you advocating stoning? :)

I thought the idea for harsh sentences on drugs is to discourage people getting stoned. ;)

Not in Iowa. We have minimums that have to be enforced in sentencing. Judges can sentence higher than the minimum or lower than the maximum, but they cannot go beyond these limits.

Sounds like my kind of justice, frankly. More power to negotiating a sentence yourself!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Justice needs to be swift, accurate, and severe.

So, Kor, from the front page story in your hometown rag, I see the Red-Headed Stranger came to town. You check it out?

Nah, I was at home, um, smoking stuff. Tickets were starting at sixty some odd dollars. Willie is cool and all, but not that cool.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Well, the arena in my town can only hold three thousand people at capacity, and for everyone involved to make a profit they really turn on the gouge lights.

Maybe the guy arrested was going to hook up Willie with some spliff. No wait, Willie is always holding.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I remember Willie had a great line in Half Baked: "I remember when a dimebag actually cost a dime!"

Or something like that.

I was trying to think of (living) bands I'd actually pay $60 to see. All I could come up with was Springsteen with the E Street Band (I've actually paid more than that to see them, and I'd do it again) and an Afghan Whigs reunion. :lol:

I think I spent $70 to see U2 six or seven years ago. It was a great show, but I wouldn't do it again.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Justice needs to be swift, accurate, and severe.

We've already discussed your dominatrix thing.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Judge lets his dealer of the hook with a fine. Pfft... big deal

... gasp! your bacK!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

wow, the midget tag team champions!!!

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.