Planescape: Torment

I don't think tha the best quality of Torment is that it's "different". The interesting thing about it is that developers were very conscious about genre cliches, and thus they were very conscious about what they did and why. Because of that the game feels much more directed and interconnected than most of the RPGs. From music, to companions, to art - most of the things in the game share the overall style and serve to express certain ideas.

jinx caught my idea slightly better than I did. Gambler really hit something. (Gorgon did too, but he'll only kick me if I let on).

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Planescape: Torment was a great game because it had so many things going for it:

-interesting and unique setting

-interesting and unique look

-good basic storyline

-very interesting companions (best in any game I've played)

...but the thing that really stuck out to me was the level of detail. I really liked to read every bit of information in the game. I loved the flavor items. I loved things like the Sensory Stone stories, the lectures in the Civic Festhall, the inscribings in all those tombs below Ragpicker's Square, the different exhibits in the Art and Curio Galleria, and I could go on and on...

I agree that the sensory stone stories were good. I think I shn't ever forget the one about the retaliatory genocide. but I ask if you've tried to decipher the soul stones in MotB?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I agree that the sensory stone stories were good. I think I shn't ever forget the one about the retaliatory genocide. but I ask if you've tried to decipher the soul stones in MotB?

Unfortunately, no. :( I haven't had the time to play it, so I haven't even bought it yet. I can't wait though, sounds great from all I've seen and heard.

Is MoTB a cut above the rest? Would you say it's unique compared to all the recent RPGs since NWN1?

I personally think it is. Its the closest thing to Planescape Torment I've seen in a long, long time and thats a very good thing.

I do wish the Spirit Eater mechanic had been handled better though... and the camera still stinks but thats a carry-over from NwN 2.

Soul...stones?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Soul...stones?

In Mask of the Betrayer in the

Academy of Shapers, there is a 'sould repository' room with soul stones. When the stones are placed in a device and a lever is pulled you can read/hear the thoughts recorded in the stones. They ramble and are kind of hard to decipher. One, for instance, talks about being tricked by a fellow red wizard and being trapped in a room.

And

you have to 'decipher' - that is actually reaad and appreciate - the souls or you're in for a lot of fetching and carrying ...and being turned into a chicken

-Elwood Blues

I'm familiar with that, but how does it link to Planescape: Torment's sensory stones? The ones in Mask did not come across as remotely as interesting or insightful.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm familiar with that, but how does it link to Planescape: Torment's sensory stones? The ones in Mask did not come across as remotely as interesting or insightful.

I thought some of them were, but anyway they tried to be. t was all part of the thing in PST where it gave you things that were just there for the experience. Like the drinks in the Burning Man tavern.

-Elwood Blues

Planescape torment is my favorite game I've ever played. I have never seen another game come out that was as good as torment. The dialogue options were intense heck you could speak to one person and (note to self you better save before speaking to anyone with an actual name). Because they have more options than one to choose from. Some people once you said the wrong thing wouldnt speak to you ever again. There was also enough hack in slash in the game to make it awesome as well. Whoever did the voices for game did a great job especially dakkon. He is still my favorite all time character just because whoever did his voice sounded to me so perfect that it actually matched the picture of him. If a sequel came out or it would make a crapload of money. Sequel would be easy to make. Heck you could start it off right where it ended in the blood wars. Somehow have him fighting near the beginning of the game in the bloodwars ripping through the demons and full force strentgh. Then have him get killed by his former mortality again while he is fighting in the blood wars. You could even have it to where ravel didn't tell you she was the only one involved in taking your mortality. A stronger force than her. Then have him lose his memory again and throughtout the gameplay have him become different types of people again crazy type etc. til he finally gets his mortality back. Sometimes I wish i would of just become a story writer for games my wife been telling me or years to do it.

Your writing style gives me headaches.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Your writing style gives me headaches.

I think that's just the pencil you've got up your nose.

-Elwood Blues

How did you know???? :)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Some posts removed due to spam. Lets not have another good topic closed aye?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I've still been trying to find a solution to play torment planescape. I have windows xp installed and service pack 2. When I try to leave the mortuary game locks up and says microsot c++ runtime error. Otherwise game runs perfect except it seems to crash when a movie is about to play. If anyone has had this problem and found out the solution to fix it please post here I'm also going to try the new neverwinter nights 2 game. Heard it had some decent dialogue. I think the problemwith older gmaes might be service pack 2 because I know i played torment onthe same computer I have now and it ran perfect.

Man i see alot of posts about torment planescape being best game ever made wish they would make another one.

It's highly unlikely to be SP2 that's causing the problem by itself. There are, however, many sites out there populated by folks whose knowledge of Planescape's engine is frightening. Try a google search.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

How did you know???? :sorcerer:

I'll give you a clue. That 'pencil installation engineer' was wearing a false moustache.

fishdogg, what version of the game are you running? I seem to recall the game being re-released recently. If so, maybe that version is xp-friendly?

-Elwood Blues

If its a WinXP problem, right click the game icon, click the Compatibility tab and select run in Win 95 or Win98.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I've read google for about 3 days now and can't find an answer. I've switched the compatibilities and they dont work. Was thinking of just doing a system restore it worked before I did all the microsoft updates. I read one website where it said do not install service pack 2 it messes up alot of old games causing the microsoft c++ runtime error.

That sounds strange. I run PS:T on Windows XP SP2 without any "compatibility" settings. Could it be your disk or drive that it doesn't like? Have you tried copying all files onto the hd?

If not, have you installed any alternative player software that could conflict with the movie player that PS:T uses (can't remember if it is bink)?

If neither of the above... no idea really :geek:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein