Planescape: Torment

Well. As I remember Morty and Dakkon stuck with TKO through alot of stuff, several incarnations ect. Annah (if you treated her right) would also be pretty anxious to keep following you around. I allways wondered why they would just let him piss off and do the bloodwar thing, instead of trying to get him back ? Its like... "oh well. You got your memory and uberpowers as lvl 30 plus. You just go and do your thing and we will forget you ever existed." It doesn't really add up to me.

You could have done a spinoff or at least have a ****eload more eastereggs if you chose. Having Dakkon Morty and Annah going on a chase around the planes to look for SOMETHING that would redeem TKO would not be far fetched.

Also a lvl 30 toon in the blood war would be a significant powerhouse in fighting. Which side would he join ? Would he rise in rank ? If you as a field commander had such a fighter/mage/rogue/whatever you would be damnd interested in keeping him around, alive and effective.

-Farb

Farb, if you own NWN1 drop everything you are doing and down load these two mods: In the Footsteps of Dante & The Nature of a Man

If you do not own NWN1 go buy it and play those two mods. It can be had for $10 US these days.

You had best not be setting my hopes up too high... You've got my interest going throught the roof.

-Farb

You will thank me later!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This was such a brilliant game, Black Isle at its finest IMO. So, I'm wondering, since Obsidian has alot of former Black Isle employees is there a chance of a sequel? I've heard that NWN2 has subtle references to PS: T, so I'm hoping they are considering such an endeavor, even if it's only set within the same universe.

Anyway, it's a pity that games of such quality often don't get the attention they deserve. The general view is that PS: T didn't sell well, but that was only initially. A recent interview stated that the game generated enough sales to rival their other products in time. So, Obsidian, hope you guys are mulling this over. It would be great to see a sequel to this great game!

Is that you roshan? ;)

Seriously, though, I don't think a sequel would do the game justice, so I'm not going to ask for one. A spiritual successor with the general design goals of PST, set in a setting just as evocative, however - that I could go for.

There are doors

Farb, if you own NWN1 drop everything you are doing and down load these two mods: In the Footsteps of Dante & The Nature of a Man

If you do not own NWN1 go buy it and play those two mods. It can be had for $10 US these days.

I haven't played NWN1 in ages and only played the Paladin Trilogy as a player made module (well I only got through half of Midnight before a problem warranted a reformat), but do you have to roll back patches to play these modules (I have 1.68 and they need 1.62)?

I haven't played NWN1 in ages and only played the Paladin Trilogy as a player made module (well I only got through half of Midnight before a problem warranted a reformat), but do you have to roll back patches to play these modules (I have 1.68 and they need 1.62)?

I really doubt it. I never had to roll back for any mod. Usually all it means is the mod author will not have used some types of content because it was not available when the mod was made.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm pretty sure those are minimum requirements (I haven't been to the vault for a few years); part of the fun of patch management is ensuring that existing reliant software still works ... backward compatibility, as it were. The only area that could possibly be a problem is if the author had manually patched the module to customise some code from NwN that has subsequently been modernised by Atari. Which is a vanishingly small probability. ;)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This was such a brilliant game, Black Isle at its finest IMO. So, I'm wondering, since Obsidian has alot of former Black Isle employees is there a chance of a sequel? I've heard that NWN2 has subtle references to PS: T, so I'm hoping they are considering such an endeavor, even if it's only set within the same universe.

Anyway, it's a pity that games of such quality often don't get the attention they deserve. The general view is that PS: T didn't sell well, but that was only initially. A recent interview stated that the game generated enough sales to rival their other products in time. So, Obsidian, hope you guys are mulling this over. It would be great to see a sequel to this great game!

Yes there is a mention of Dak'kon in the game I won't say when though.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

• 4 months later...

I just dug my copy of this (since my 360 packed up just on the day that I bought Mass Effect, ah well). I never got around to playing this. (As I did with many games that are regarded as classics. Actually I finished System Shock 2 for the first time yesterday; superb game, I expect that Bioshock will a huge disappoint when I get around to playing it. )

How many hours can I expect to get out PS:T?

Thanks in advance.

If you play as a wizard and max your WIS and CHA, i would say 40 hours. Add another 10 if you want to talk to every NPC out there. I tried once as a 'stupid' fighter with everything set on STR and CON and i was done with the less than optimal ending within 20-25 hours.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'd say take your time with Torment - talking to everyone is no mean feat because there is so much text. But when I first played it I was an impatient 15 year old and rushed past a lot of it - it really raped the experience. Take the time and invest yourself mentally in each dialogue and really go around exploring (cause the game's beautiful). And if you get tired, take a break.

Hard for me to say the total hours, Meshugger might be right. I played it through last week, but i was home a lot.

Now, does anybody else get a tear in the eye when talking to the Paranoid Incarnation?

Thanks for the replies fellas. I just sunk at least two hours into the mortuary at the start of the game, the plot seems pretty compelling. The gameplay feature where he gains abilities from recovered memories is very cool IMO.

The game uses AD&D ruleset, correct? I'm not too familiar with it, I'm used to d20 from playing NWN and KOTOR. It's not too different, right? I remember trying to play Baldur's Gate 1 a few years ago (after being weening on NWN. I got stuck on an early dungeon and haven't returned to BG1 since.), but the negative stats confused me. A 1+ rated armour being stronger than a +2 (and higher) didn't seem very logical at all.

Edited by EvaUnit02

PS:T has best plot ever.

PS:T and Baldur's Gates use previous incarnation of D&D system. It was followed by (better) D&D 3.0 and 3.5 (pretty much same thing). D20 system of Kotors are bit different, but closer to 3.0/5 than to AD&D

edit: Which reminds me, I have no memories of all the THAC0 stuff :sorcerer:

Also, remember that high WIS/INT/CHA are extremely important. If you still want muscled fighter with those stats high you should check this topic. But that's by no means needed. In fact, I think you should stay away stuff like that during your first playthrough (and in general I cheat never. Ruins the fun o:) )

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I like to tell people that Str/Con is the way to go.

But, I'm a jerk.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Also, remember that high WIS/INT/CHA are extremely important. I
Why those particular stats? Is being a high level magic user the best way to play the game? Cheers.

Because they have the highest impact on dialogue and thus allows you to take in more of the plot.

Also, remember that high WIS/INT/CHA are extremely important. I
Why those particular stats? Is being a high level magic user the best way to play the game? Cheers.

In order to get everything out of the game (plot-wise), it is extremely important. Being a wizard helps, since it relies on those stats. My stupid fighter probably missed a 1/3 of the game since the important dialogoue-options depend on having high WIS/INT/CHA.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In order to get everything out of the game (plot-wise), it is extremely important. Being a wizard helps, since it relies on those stats. My stupid fighter probably missed a 1/3 of the game since the important dialogoue-options depend on having high WIS/INT/CHA.
That's disappointing, I'm not a big fan of playing as wizards in fantasy RPGs.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Edited by EvaUnit02

You don't have to play as wizard. Just make sure you have WIS/INT/CHA high. Game is as close to prose as can be with CRPG, fighting is not main strenght/focus of game. (IIRC there's only 3 hours of fighting that's unavoidable by dialogue and stealth ). Fights shouldn't be hard for "unoptimized" fighter. On the other hand you could go way I'm going to go with my next campaign. But I wouldn't recommend it for first time.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

You don't have to play as wizard. Just make sure you have WIS/INT/CHA high

What other classes have high wisdom and intelligence? Thieves, I'm not a big fan of playing that class either. Those are typically associated with high level magic users from judging from experiences with RPGs using similar rulesets.

What the?

You can only play as fighter, thief or wizard. You start as fighter anyway, lvl 3 IIRC. Later on you can change to thief or wizard.

ATTRIBUTE POINTS DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH CLASS. They're, well, attributes. Fighter can be as smart as wizard aka has just as high intelligence. Attribute points has nothing to do with classes. Sure, it's questionable is wizard with INT 11 and STR 16 useful, but that's possible

Edited by Xard

What Xard said. In BG and NWN stats has more to do with your class, but PS:T is extremely story-driven. There are 2 or 3 unavoidable important fights in the game (and a handful of easy random encounters) so you don't need to have a powerful (combat-wise) character.

Also wizards are somewhat different from the typical FR fantasy. There are not many spells in the game, so if you don't like wizards because it gets boring to choose from countless spells (or you have some problem with pointy hats) that wouldn't be a problem in PS:T.

Anyway, whatever you do, to enjoy the game (especially if it's the first time you play it), try to have high CHA/WIS/INT.

Edited by Istima Loke

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

Yeah, you can have a Fighter with 18 wisdom and 9 strength if you want to.

I guess what EvaUnit meant was that if he played a Fighter, he would feel compelled to put most of his points down STR/DEX/CON, and thus not get much out of the game. I'd say go for high WIS, and decent (13+) INT/CHA anyway; Torment's combat is not especially difficult, and the dialogue / roleplay benefits are so high I'd even just knock down the difficulty scales if you needed to, and get high wis/int/cha.

Don't forget that the different classes in Torment get different one time bonuses to their stats when they reach a certain level, so it does make a difference to play a mage.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What the?

You can only play as fighter, thief or wizard. You start as fighter anyway, lvl 3 IIRC. Later on you can change to thief or wizard.

ATTRIBUTE POINTS DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH CLASS

Oh, thanks for letting me know. Maybe I should read the game manual? :o Thanks for making your point blunt to get into my thick head. :o

What Xard said. In BG and NWN stats has more to do with your class, but PS:T is extremely story-driven. There are 2 or 3 unavoidable important fights in the game (and a handful of easy random encounters) so you don't need to have a powerful (combat-wise) character.
Thanks, again I presumed that stats make a difference since it's a game based in the D&D universe. I've played NWN1, BG1 and KOTOR1 (Yeah I know, I should buy the sequels for those sometime. :o ).

I guess what EvaUnit meant was that if he played a Fighter, he would feel compelled to put most of his points down STR/DEX/CON,
Yup, that's exactly my reasoning based on experiences with other games. Eg I'd play KOTOR1 as a Scout/Jedi Sentinel for a balanced character that's adept at combat and have the skills point that required to get the most of the game (eg have points in the repair skills to get AK47's lost abilities). Have a high STR/DEX/CON AND also a high CHR (+ the mind domination force power) to get the most out of the conversations.

Thanks again for all the replies, they've been very helpful. I'll definitely restart the game with a high INT/WIS/CHR character. :x