NHL

SteveThaiBinh

We'll see, but its hard to get railroaded like that. Of course you could always trade him to Calgary's dumb ass.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

More important than staying healthy or having a productive season is whether his wife/girlfriend wants to live in Edmonton. Let's hope so, so the Oilers can get back in the playoff hunt. Their last run to the finals was fun to watch.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it looks like Kevin Lowe can hopefully relax a little after a pretty rough summer. Four new defencemen! A new backup goalie! Dustin Penner and Geoff Sanderson! Let's hope this new team can gel, quick!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'm pretty happy with the Leafs new signings! Toskala is a great goalie (any goalie is a step forward compared to Raycroft) and Jason Blake is a great goalscorer, both additions we've been lacking all last season. Let's just hope Blake finds chemistry with the captain! You never know these things. They should have signed him up for three years instead of five though. The guy is 34. He'll be 39 when the contract runs out.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I don't get why people are so upset about the Dustin Penner deal. The Oilers most likely overpaid for him, but they can only do that so much in the salary cap era. If a team wants to overpay a couple players, that's their decision. I'm not saying Penner has no chance of developing into a top forward, but it's a definite risk, and one that Anaheim smartly did not make.

• 2 weeks later...

Swedish news are reporting today that Detroit Red Wings have officially shown interest in Peter Forsberg.

Some people are already dreaming of a top line of Datsyuk - Forsberg - Zetterberg..

I don't think Forsberg is anywhere near as dangerous as he used to be. He is still a solid playmaker, but he's struggled to score over the last two seasons and he's injured a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play this season, of course I've been thinking that the last couple seasons.

Bell Pleads No Contest To Felony DUI

Interesting in that it affects my Leafs, sort of... "A sentencing date has not been set, Robinson said, adding that Bell will serve his sentence during the summer months so it doesn't conflict with the hockey season."

So I guess it means he'll return to California at the end of each hockey season and serve 2 or 3 months of his sentence, and then go back to T.O. and play hockey? Hmm.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

And so Peca is a Blue Jacket instead of a Leaf.. Honestly, I barely remember Peca playing for those supposedly 35 games he was uninjured enough to go on the ice. Not a big deal I guess.

^ One of the persistent rumours I've read is that the Leafs were shopping Stajan around to make cap room in order to sign Peca. I'm glad they didn't do that.

EDIT: Strike the "good luck in NY" comment. Oops.

EDIT #2: D'OH! that's it, I'm going to work.

Edited by mr insomniac

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=217288&hubname=nhl

Marleau signs an extension, meaning the Sharks have some great talent locked up for multiple years. I wasn't surprised about this, although the trade rumors sure were busy. Marleau reminds me a lot of Yzerman and the Red Wings...they went through rough playoff years but they kept a strong core together and dominated in the end. Hopefully the Sharks will do the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Jebus! It's the day before the season starts and this thread is deader than Hades' sex life!! You have all forgotten the faces of your fathers.

I'm amazed nobody even has posted about the hit on Dean McAmmond from the other night. Vicious, for sure, and totally unwarranted. Of course maybe if McAmmond hadn't been admiring his sweet little pass... :)

And I hope all the new faces on the Oilers mesh well. Between the rookies and the free agent signings, there's going to be a few familiar faces and a lot of line options for MacTavish this year. Which is never a good thing.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Jebus! It's the day before the season starts and this thread is deader than Hades' sex life!! You have all forgotten the faces of your fathers.

I'm amazed nobody even has posted about the hit on Dean McAmmond from the other night. Vicious, for sure, and totally unwarranted. Of course maybe if McAmmond hadn't been admiring his sweet little pass... :)

And I hope all the new faces on the Oilers mesh well. Between the rookies and the free agent signings, there's going to be a few familiar faces and a lot of line options for MacTavish this year. Which is never a good thing.

I'll be out all day tomorrow so I'm unfortunately going to miss the season opener. It will be nice to have watch on Saturday evenings again. It's been the most boring night of the week ever since the last season ended.

Can't say I've got anything to really look at as most of the Canadian teams didn't do too much in the off season. It'll be interesting to see how Iron Mike works out (or doesn't) with the Flames and Leafs fans better stop whining about Raycroft this year. I mean, it's not like he tied the franchise goalie wins record or anything... :ermm:

I think I'd be a lot more inclined to talk about hockey if my Leafs weren't looking so horribly weak this season. I have a feeling it'll be a really hurtful and long season again. Sundin is one year older and he and Blake haven't gelled yet. Our defence haven't improved one iota since last season and our goaltending is as shaky as ever. And if that weren't enough, everyone in Sweden predicts my favourite team to end up last in the league. This is going to be a looong season..

Why the NHL has games scheduled in London? No offense to London or the Londoners, but though I support the idea of games at third party "neutral" sites, and don't mind the idea of outdoor games, shouldn't they be played in Winnipeg or Quebec or Minnesota? I would also be fine if they held the games in Russia, Finland, Sweden, or the Czech Republic.

I just don't understand (then again I don't understand (or like) much about this "New NHL" anyway). :(

By the way, let's see some fantasy team rosters:

Mine from Yahoo:

I'm in a 10 team league, but got 9th pick out of 10 :(. Still, I think I did pretty well.

I drafted (round/pick number/player/commentary):

1. (9) Vincent Lecavalier (great pick, wasn't expecting him to drop like this)

2. (12) Daniel Alfredsson (another great pick, his +/- makes him better than Heatley or other wingers)

3. (29) Dan Boyle (good pick, couldn't forsee injury)

4. (32) Alexander Semin (good winger, maybe a bit early, but I have high hopes)

5. (49) Brad Richards (last year was obviously an off year, expect 90 points this time)

6. (52) Nikolai Khabibulin (underrated goalie will almost certainly do better with improved Chicago)

7. (69) Rick DiPietro (could be top 10 goalie with better team in front, still has upside)

8. (72) Jason Blake (good winger at about the right spot)

9. (89) Robert Lang (he'll bounce back like Richards, with his new team that suits him)

10. (92) Marek Svatos (looks like I was on crack, but in my defense, I'm in an Avs fan league)

11. (109) Sergei Zubov (a steal this low)

12. (112) Tom Poti (good defenseman in the 100's range)

13. (129) Nicklas Backstrom (another steal)

14. (132) Saku Koivu (another steal)

15. (149) Marek Zidlicky (good guy for range)

16. (152) Shane Doan (good guy for range)

I wanted to use Svatos as tradebait so badly, but failed, so I sent him to waivers. I traded Backstrom for Naslund, and I'm happy with the deal, and I picked up Aucoin from waivers after Boyle went down.

Looking at my team, I'm pleased with the depth. I'm relying on several players to bounce back into form, but I'm an optimist in my predictions! :D

C: Lecavalier (look at my prediction for him earlier in the thread)

C: Brad Richards (gonna bounce back into form)

LW: Semin (40 goal scorer last year, let's see what he can do with Backstrom)

LW: Jason Blake (40 goal scorer last year, let's see what he can do with Sundin)

RW: Alfreddson (unlike some of my players, his actual worth is much higher than fantasy worth)

RW: Naslund (look at my prediction for him, what a bounce back he'll have)

D: Boyle (big loss from weird injury; on IR, replaced by Aucoin from waivers)

D: Zubov (good fantasy defenseman)

D: Poti (same)

D: Zidlicky (same)

Utility: Robert Lang (playing with Havlat on a Chicago team that needs him rejuvenates)

G: Khabibulin (his team was bad these past two years; not anymore)

G: DiPietro (his team still bad, but this guy still has an upside)

Bench: Saku Koivu (it's just luxury, having Koivu on my bench)

Bench: Shane Doan (decent forward for bench)

Why the NHL has games scheduled in London? No offense to London or the Londoners, but though I support the idea of games at third party "neutral" sites, and don't mind the idea of outdoor games, shouldn't they be played in Winnipeg or Quebec or Minnesota? I would also be fine if they held the games in Russia, Finland, Sweden, or the Czech Republic.

I just don't understand (then again I don't understand (or like) much about this "New NHL" anyway). :ermm:

They are trying to increase the exposure of the NHL in Europe. What better way than having the season opener in Europe?

Carey Price was kept in Montreal as the backup for Huet. Grabovski and Chipchura were also kept with the big club. It'll be interesting to see just how well they do this year with all the young guns.