NHL

SteveThaiBinh

Holy moly, NYR grabbed the two best Free Agents in Drury and Gomez. That's an incredible move. How can they even afford it? They are paying Gomez 10 million, Drury 7 million, and then they have Jagr and Shanny, who must earn a pretty penny. I guess it helps that they don't have any high paid defenseman and a young goalie.

Still, the Rangers are now definitely a cup contender if they can stay healthy all season.

No other big surprises, the Avs got a bit stronger.

Wow, and here I thought this morning that things were going to be relatively quiet on the NHL front, first day of free agency and all.

I still haven't read up on the Drury/Gomez signings, but seeing Jason Smith and Lupul go to Philly for Pitkanen and Sanderson made me take a step back. I was all on the bandwagon for taking Pitkanen. Seeing Smith go the other way was unexpected, to say the least. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Gator for years of bleeding copper and blue. You will be missed, el capitaine!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Holy moly, NYR grabbed the two best Free Agents in Drury and Gomez. That's an incredible move. How can they even afford it? They are paying Gomez 10 million, Drury 7 million, and then they have Jagr and Shanny, who must earn a pretty penny. I guess it helps that they don't have any high paid defenseman and a young goalie.

Still, the Rangers are now definitely a cup contender if they can stay healthy all season.

No other big surprises, the Avs got a bit stronger.

The Rangers have half their salary taken up by 3 players in Gomez, Drury and Jagr. The Avs managed to snag Ryan Smyth for 5 years!

Actually Deraldin Jagrs' contract isn't as steep as it may seem. Washington still pays for a fair chunk of it, I believe.

And Ryan Smyth signs with the Avalanche? My first reaction is to giggle on the inside a little. What's he gonna do when Joe Sakic retires in a year or two?

And the Rangers/Philly may look like the winners of the day, but IMHO Toronto made the best move, signing sparkplug Jason Blake to a five year deal. That guy can do it all, just about by himself.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Actually Deraldin Jagrs' contract isn't as steep as it may seem. Washington still pays for a fair chunk of it, I believe.

And Ryan Smyth signs with the Avalanche? My first reaction is to giggle on the inside a little. What's he gonna do when Joe Sakic retires in a year or two?

And the Rangers/Philly may look like the winners of the day, but IMHO Toronto made the best move, signing sparkplug Jason Blake to a five year deal. That guy can do it all, just about by himself.

You're right. Jagr's salary is still half paid by Washington according to the first site I found.

Also Kariya has gone to the Blues.

Weight is starting to lose a step, but can still feather a pass like you wouldn't believe, Hurlshot. He never really acclimated to his Carolina linemates last year. But he and Tkachoook have got a pretty decent chemistry between them. Their top line might have a fast enough skater for a forecheck now with the addition of Kariya.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Weight is starting to lose a step, but can still feather a pass like you wouldn't believe, Hurlshot. He never really acclimated to his Carolina linemates last year. But he and Tkachoook have got a pretty decent chemistry between them. Their top line might have a fast enough skater for a forecheck now with the addition of Kariya.

That's good to hear, I haven't seen enough of Weight, but he always seemed more of a power forward to me. But I'm glad to hear the Blues will have a decent first line, maybe I can pull my jersey out of the closet finally. I'm still not sure if they will be a playoff team, but they might threaten.

It was a busy first day. I'm not even sure who is still available. Almost all the marquee names are signed.

Off the top of my head, Bertuzzi, Nylander, lead the list of who's still available.

Who's going to step into Hannan's shoes in SJ now, Hurly?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Just got home from work, so haven't been following the news all day. Was listening to the radio on the way home, and they were talking about Smyth going to Colorado. Apparently Montreal offered more money than the Avs, but Smyth wanted to return to the western conference.

Very surprised about the Rangers. Kudos to 'em. They're gonna be even tougher to keep off the scoreboard now. My understanding was that Drury was leaning towards San Jose as his next home. Ah well, that's what makes the offseason interesting.

Am excited, of course, about the Leafs. Hopefully Mats and Blake will have a good on-ice chemistry. Have been praying daily to the hockey gods that the Leafs stay healthy this coming season. I'll be increasing the mantra from five repetitions to ten now. And I wonder how much cap room they have left, especially as they want to sign Toskala to a long-term extension.

EDIT: It appears Nylander has signed with the Oilers.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Off the top of my head, Bertuzzi, Nylander, lead the list of who's still available.

Who's going to step into Hannan's shoes in SJ now, Hurly?

Well, they signed Rivet, which I think is a much better choice if you can only keep one. I liked Hannan, but I don't think he's irreplaceable. Vlasic showed he could play huge minutes in difficult situations last season, so he immediately steps into that slot. So Rivet and Vlasic become the top defensive combo, and McLaren, Carle and Errhoff round out the top four. Carle and Errhoff are offensive defensemen, but I see Carle getting better defensively this season and being a better top four fit. Errhoff hasn't really shown enough defensive skill, so he probably won't crack the 20 minute mark very often.

So the Sharks really don't need a top two defensive guy. They need a stay at home guy who can play on the PK and keep the top four from logging too many minutes. They have a few farm guys, but none have shown staying power. So I really have no clue who they will try and get, but it's not a pressing need.

I'm not sure the Sharks need to grab any big names. They need some more character guys, and they need the young guys to improve. They were the youngest team last year. They have talent, they just need it to show up more consistently.

Edmonton grabbed Nylander. That sounds like a good choice.

Where are people getting the idea that Gomez is being paid $10 mil? I'm seeing about $7 mil. Either way good for the Rangers. Too bad about Nylander - he and Jagr are perfect for each other. Now, hopefully the Rangers can trash Shanahan and gain by subtraction. Shanahan is too old to help.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

WQhere aer epeople getting the idea that Gomez is being paid $10 mil? I'm seeing about $7 mil. Either way good for the Rangers. Too bad about Nylander - he and Jagr are perfect for each other. Now, hopefully the Rangers can trash Shanahan and gain by subtraction. Shanahan is too old to help.

It's 10 million next season. He was given a pretty good sized signing bonus.

Hmm, Preissing went to LA. I'm a bit surprised, I know he probably had a relationship with Dean Lombardi, but you are jumping from a team that went to the Finals to a team that probably won't make the playoffs. Was Ottawa not making any attempt to sign him? I'd rather take less money to play for the Senators. Eh, maybe he just missed California.

Nope, Krook, he's still one of the few UFAs left, along with Bertuzzi and Souray.

And it looks like Nylander signed with Washington, not the Oilers. Ah well, we've got enough soft euros on our team right now.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Hmm, Preissing went to LA. I'm a bit surprised, I know he probably had a relationship with Dean Lombardi, but you are jumping from a team that went to the Finals to a team that probably won't make the playoffs. Was Ottawa not making any attempt to sign him? I'd rather take less money to play for the Senators. Eh, maybe he just missed California.

Has anyone confirmed this yet? I liked Preissing. :o

Bertuzzi is back with Brian Burke with a two year contract with the ducks. Have to see if he can stay healthy. Montreal signed Smolinski and Hamrlik. I think they overpaid Hamrlik though at $5.5 million for 4 years.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212659&hubname=nhl

Whoo boy, this could get ugly. Nylander may have signed with two teams. If the Oil can actually produce a signed contract, this could be a serious issue.

I thought that there was something going on there. I remember reading the "Oilers signed Nylander" article and then seeing the Washington article was a little confusing. ;)

Interesting. Can they prove a signature, though? I doubt a 'verbal agreement' will suffice in a court of lw in this case with Washington having (presumably) asigned deal.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.