NHL

SteveThaiBinh

I'm in this thread because I love hockey. And sports. Hockey and sports. Oh yes, I love them both. How about that local sports team? And how about those championship games. They were surprising this year.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Wow, I'm amazed at all the negative TSN comments on Toskala. He's a top goalie, he went 26-10 last season and was a huge part of the Sharks making the playoffs the season before. This makes the Leafs a better team immediately. I'm a bit surprised the Sharks didn't use him to get someone who can play now, but I suppose the #13 pick is a decent place to be.

Mark Bell will probably thrive, but he got off to a bad start on San Jose by getting arrested before the season started. Sometimes a change of location is the only thing that will get you back on track.

The negative comments are to be expected I guess. The Toronto fans that comment there seem to be of the opinion that the only thing wrong with their team last year was the goaltending of Raycroft despite going 38-something to tie for second place in the "most wins in a season" by a Toronto goalie. :)

Sometimes Leafs fans are like Fallout fans. If the trade or the signing isn't exactly what they want, then it was a bad move. Hades would be a Leafs fan, I think.

I'm a Leafs fan myself, and admittedly been under the delusion that my team was better than they actually were. I dunno much about Toskala, and less about Bell, but if they can stay healthy and help the team get into the playoffs, then it was a good trade. I understand the draft isn't particularly strong this year, and the Leafs have a bunch of young players already, so I'm not too bothered about giving up picks. Speaking of young players, they also re-signed Colaiacovo (spelling?) to a three year deal. Hopefully he will also stay healthy this year.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The problem with Raycroft was that he was unreliable. He could do some amazing stuff one minute and the next he'd let in a loose puck from the blueline. Statistically he was fine, but he also created an uncertainty in the team by the way he was playing. I'm hoping Vesa Toskala proves to be more stable in goal. Or at least put some pressure on Raycroft to improve himself. I like the guy, I just wish he was as good as he can be more often.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Vokoun being traded off was a surprise, but it may signal the start of a nashville fire sale.

About Toskala, he's an extremely consistent goalie. Over the last two seasons he has put up a rather insane win ratio, something like 50-12 (I'm tool azy to do the math.) The trouble is he got injured this season, otherwise he likely would have been splitting with Nabakov even in the playoffs. The Sharks also might have dealt Nabakov over Toskala, but contracts made that a bad idea. I may seem biased, but I've seen him play a lot, and he's in the same class as Kiprusoff.

I was happy with the draft, it was fun watching the Russian kid squirm, he looked pretty miserable. I'm think his attitude might have been one reason he dropped so far, but it's so hard to tell through a translator. None of these kids will be playing next year, it looks like. Definitely a group that needs development time. I was surprised how small a couple of the high picks were.

My pure speculation for next season:

Chicago will be most improved team, doing a spin-o-rama with Denis Savard behind the bench. Khabibulin will play at consistent high level expected of him, making it safe for the speedy Chicago forwards to play a daring style.

Nashville on the other hand will face biggest flop. That's what getting rid of all your players does. The team will probably have to move to another market soon.

Toronto, Montreal, and the Islanders will all fight for 8th seed in the East again.

The Stanley Cup will stay in the West for second year, going to either Vancouver or San Jose who will meet in epic clash in Conference Finals. The winner of that series will coast against the Eastern team

Lecavalier will hit his upside this year, scoring 59 goals with 72 assists to lead the league in goals and points. Thornton will fall short of his third consecutive 90 assist season but still lead the league with 79. Crosby will not have the generational upside some people expect but neither will he flop, getting his third straight 100 point season. Joe Sakic will not reach 100 points again, but his status as legend was set long before last year.

Backstrom will be the rookie of the year as he becomes as valuable as Ovechkin to Washington geting 32 goals and 53 assists while playing a solid all-round game. Toews will not be far behind, putting slightly worse numbers playing a very similar game.

Yashin will rejuvenate his career with whoever he plays with, getting past the contract and underachieving to have his first 100 point season. Naslund will bounce back to have his best season yet, putting up 53 goals and 61 assists and giving Vancouver that offensive depth and edge to compliment their solid defense and incredible goaltending, making them one of the favorites to go all the way.

With that horrible shootout still in the NHL, Luongo and Brodeur will again assault Bernie Parent's former wins record. The asterisk will never be far behind though.

Edited by Qwerty the Sir

You must be a Canucks fan :ermm:

I think Nashville will drop to the middle, but I don't think they'll be totally irrelevant. They still have Trotz behind the bench, and they still have a solid core. They will be fighting for a playoff spot, but they might be at an advantage due to a weak division. This is the reason Detroit keeps winning all those president's trophies.

I can see Chicago fighting for a playoff spot. I still think they are a year or two away from being real competitive, and they might sabotage themselves along the way.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see Adam Oates inducted. And Dave Gilmour as well.

And this years salary cap numbers just came down. 50.3 million for the ceiling and 34 for the minimum.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see Adam Oates inducted. And Dave Gilmour as well.

And this years salary cap numbers just came down. 50.3 million for the ceiling and 34 for the minimum.

They'd probably be inducted no problem any other year, but it was pretty stacked and there are only 4 slots. Ah, I just noticed Gilmour was left out before, I wonder what that's about?

I see Stevens, MacInnis, Oates, and Gilmour in the same class of players. They all deserve to be in the Hall and will get there. If this was the NHL HoF, I wouldn't argue for Larionov ahead of those four, but it's the Hockey HoF, and the KLM line should be a first ballot group all around.

Doug Gilmour.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Lol, Dave is the dude from Pink Floyd. My bad.

And I can't fathom as to why DOUG Gilmour isn't in as well. It's not like he's Glenn Anderson or anything.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

heh, no worries. I'm a Leafs fan, you know how it is.

I'm hopeful he'll get in. His last few years in the league may count against him. But there's no denying what he helped accomplish in TO...and maybe they're forgetting he was part of Calgary's cup winner in '89.

I remember when Gilmour took a run at someone's knee for injuring their goalie. I wanna say it was when he was playing for the Habs, but I can't really remember.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

TSN.ca's Free Agent Tracker. There you go. Some interesting developments already. Briere lands in Philly, Schneider in Anaheim, Rafalski in Detroit.

I think Briere is being overpaid by Philly. I like the idea of a contact that tapers out towards the end of a career, but I don't see how Briere warrants 10 million for next season. Thornton just signed an extension that nets him 7 million a season, and I don't know how you pay Briere more than guys like Thornton and Jagr. I don't even see Crosby making that much in a few years, at least if he wants to play on a team with other top guys.

Edit: Iginla is also making 7 million. Briere put up great numbers with a great supporting cast, I don't see him putting up another 90 points in Philly. I see this as a bust in a year.

Edited by Hurlshot

On Hall of Fame inductions, Messier, MacInnis, and probably Francis would all make it for me, but I have a hard time giving the last spot to Stevens over Oates and Larionov (Oates and Larionov are very close and comparable to Francis as well, but Francis longevity is amazing).

Now, in terms of strictly NHL career, Oates is for me ahead of Stevens and Larionov. His prime production is incredible and his playmaking ability was unmatched in his time except for Gretzky and Lemieux. He was also an above average forward defensively, and he rarely hurt his team with penalties. However, Larionov's pre NHL career (which was his prime) may be just as impressive. I just don't know who to pick.

Stevens is a great player and should have got in next year, but he was never as good as MacInnis (remember Washington?) and I have a hard time slotting him above Oates/Larionov.

Still, it was a loaded class this year, and so it's not a huge snub for Oates and Larionov.