NHL

SteveThaiBinh

There's a report that next year we could be seeing Tampa and the Pens playing two games in Prague. I'm not against european expansion, but I don't like the regular season starting up overseas while the rest of the NHL is still finalizing pre season activities.

And it turns out I'll be missing the season opener for the Oilers because of work. That sucks.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Why the NHL has games scheduled in London? No offense to London or the Londoners, but though I support the idea of games at third party "neutral" sites, and don't mind the idea of outdoor games, shouldn't they be played in Winnipeg or Quebec or Minnesota? I would also be fine if they held the games in Russia, Finland, Sweden, or the Czech Republic.

I just don't understand (then again I don't understand (or like) much about this "New NHL" anyway). :ermm:

They are trying to increase the exposure of the NHL in Europe. What better way than having the season opener in Europe?

Understood, but why London? Russia, Finland, Sweden, and the Czech Republic are all much larger hockey markets, and they also follow the NHL closely over there and I would encourage games there (like 2008-2009 season opener).

On another note, I would love to see some RSL or SM Liiga games over here (I'd even love to watch some on TV).

I'm looking forward to how the Penguins handle there center situation...Sykora, Malkin, and Crosby would probably be first or second line centers on any other team, but I've heard Malkin might move to wing.

edit:

apparently Sykora is a right wing...News to me.

Edited by Krookie

Hrm, I love the changes the NHL has made since then end of the lockout. They've also opened the season in Japan a few times, so this isn't a new concept.

I just can't say I like most of them, and not only that, I don't see how they will achieve the goal of "creating offense".

My major issue is with the scheduling. This is, in my opinion, by far the worst change the NHL made post-lockout. I understand the importance of the division and don't mind encouraging divisional rivalry, but it is just too weird for every team in the NHL not to play every other team in the NHL at least once per season. Devoting nearly half a season to playing against 4 other teams really is counterproductive to generating interest in the game, as at least this fan wants to see different teams play together frequently, keeping the season fresh.

I am against the changed rink dimensions as well.

First and foremost, I really don't like the idea of restricting where goalies can play the puck. If anything, having goalies play the puck deterred teams from playing boring dump the puck and go get it hockey, and their long passes would create scoring chances.

Now, one of the more understandable changes is getting rid of the red line for two line passes. I still don't like it, and frankly, it's not the way to prevent the trap from being played (teams now trap on the blue lines), but it really does help the flow of the game, and frankly, it's a big deal for these new rules to actually be effectual in fulfilling their purposes, so I'm not going to criticize it too much.

Enlarging the end zones, constricting the neutral zone, and making the goals closer is really a pointless change. If you notice how most teams play and position in the other opponents zone, the resulting changes in dimensions, and additional area is really not going to make a difference or give guys in the slot more room.

On the in game rules, I am ambivalent.

I do support a restriction on clutching and grabbing, but really not to the extreme extent that it has gone to.

I really don't see the point of penalizing players for accidentally shooting the puck over the glass (I didn't even see the point with goalies), and that rule is to me a really blatant attempt to influence powerplays.

I like the instigator rule though, as it's just a stain on the league and the sport too see teams be bad losers and goon it up near the end.

Oh, and on the shootout...

I didn't have too much of a problem with it at the beginning, as I saw it as a natural progression of the game (like regular season overtime earlier in NHL history), but looking at the disproportionate influence it has had, I'm beginning to go sour on it. The fact that shootout "wins" have actually influenced divisional standings is just too much for me. I'd rather the league extend overtime; at least then actual hockey is being played.

*a note: When Bernie Parent set the previous wins record with 47, there wasn't even an overtime. Those were 47 regulation wins, what a goalie!

Now, there is stuff that I really like. I actually like the fact that the players salaries are cut back a bit. Now only if the owners would pass off some of the savings to the fans...

The shrinking of goalie equipment is really a great change, and the only negative is that the league should have shrunk it more.

One of the three main reasons (in my analysis) why scoring has gone down is goalie equipment sizes (the other being the decreased offensive ability of the players and the defensive systems that followed in part because of it). Goalies in the older days were not as well positioned simply because they couldn't be. A goalie with the equipment sizes today playing the angles right will be able to cut off most of the net. A goalie playing those exact same angles wearing smaller equipment would leave much more to shoot at.

Given all the talk about making the nets bigger or the puck smaller, I'm not sure why more of the NHL high-up's and GM's don't see this point...

The NHL is going to re-examine the schedule for next season. From what I've read, either divisional games will drop from eight to either six or seven. Supposedly this will clear up the space for all team to get in at least one game against each other.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Tonight my Leafs will face Ottawa in the first of what will be EIGHT games against them. Is someone here really trying to say that there's something good about that? The schedule is the worst change the NHL has done in.. forever. I do like the removal of the red line and I love the fact that they're trying to eliminate hooking and grabbing! Some people interpret that as if the league is trying to make hockey less physical. I interpret it the other way around! Now that players are getting penalized for hooking and grabbing, the only means they have for stopping a speeding opponent is a clean check. I believe such a rule change (or more like rule enforcing, since the rule has always been there) will encourage players to deliver more clean hits. It might take a while for this generation of players to change their ways, but eventually..

I wish they would decrease goalie equipment even more. If need be even enlarge the size of the nets. Something is wrong when a goalie can stand totally still and yet cover 95% of the goal. I wish goalies would be relying more on skill and reflexes than on huge pads of Styrofoam.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm watching Anaheim @ Detroit right now. It's good to have real NHL hockey back. Now I wish I didn't have to go to work tonight.

I'm watching Ottawa @ Toronto. I was about to say congrats to Sundin on tying the Leafs scoring record, by Antropov was given the goal.

EDIT: Heatley has been locked up in Ottawa until 2015. Signed a front loaded 6 year deal that averages out to 7.5 million per year.

Edited by Deraldin

Tonight is a good night. Ottawa beats Toronto 4-3 in overtime, 2 goals by Heatley including the winner. Montreal beats Carolina 3-2 in overtime, 2 goals by Koivu including the winner. Tomorrow I get to trash talk the Leafs fan in my Management class. >_<

Edited by Deraldin

CH wins!

:bat:

*Does a backflip*

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Jeez, your team got a point, Mkreku, quit your bitching. It's the first game!

And it looks like he's going to get a second point tonight.

EDIT: And there goes his chance. Alfredsson just scored on a powerplay.

EDIT2: Congrats to Sundin on tying Darryl Sitler's goal record!

Edited by Deraldin

Wow, judging from the scores it looks like Lecavalier and St. Louis are going to be a dynamic duo again this season. I picked Vinny over Sidney in my hockey pool. And Thornton over Sid with my other entry.

And :):woot: Oilers!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jeez, your team got a point, Mkreku, quit your bitching. It's the first game!

We lost the first two. We lost all eight (or something) against them last year.. and you're telling me to quit my bitching?

Shut. The. ****. Up.

You're a glass half empty kind of guy, aren't you Mkreku? It's not like Ottawa totally demolished them or anything.

Whoops, I thought the Leafs made it to overtime again tonight. Okay, you're right, they suck. But I'd still take Mats Sundin on my team anyday.

And be glad you're not Laozi. Martin Havlat left the game after someone breathed on his shoulder. Chicago = hooped. Hopefully he was faking to get out of the scrum!

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Okay, you're right, they suck. But I'd still take Mats Sundin on my team anyday.

The Captain is almost the only reason I even bother checking out the results each morning. It's heartbreaking to see loss after loss (not yet, I know, but if the last two seasons were any indication..) day after day, but at least I can cheer as he breaks Leaf record after Leaf record. He will become the greatest goal scorer and point-getter in all Leaf history this season. A few more points to break the points record. He's already tying the goal record. Soon he'll have scored 400 goals in a Leaf jersey.. Meaningless stuff like that is what I have to look forward to this season.. Unless a miracle happens and Blake returns to his 40-goals-per-season form, Toskala develops into a starting goalie for the first time since he entered the NHL, McCabe becomes a defensive force, the youngsters start playing with the consistency of the vets (Steen, Stajan, Colaiacovo, Woznievski, Pohl, Newbury, White, etc.) and the entire team gels and starts playing systematic hockey.

Yeah, I guess my glass is half empty.

I'm voting Torrey Mitchell for possible rookie of the year. He undressed Steve Staios 3 times last night and had a couple great chances, including one that rolled off the post. I'm a bit surprised he didn't get a chance in the shootout, instead we went with Marleau and Cheechoo who have combined for 0 out of 30 shootout chances.