NWN2

Eliandir

NWN1 has 2 things on NWN2:

1)Better custom content support.

2)Better optimization

Thats all.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"My view is this: If you don't like the game, shelve it and play one you do like. If you feel the need to complain do so in a constructive manner and list point by point stating not only you didn't like something about the game but why you didn't like it, and give possible solutions that the developer can do so you may like it. In the long run better games will be the result. I learned this the hard way."

Very good view. Let's ALL follow it, okay?

"Me too... I can

Just out of curiosity, how much new music, new sound effects, new voices are there? I had heard that some of the old stuff had been re-used, but it's news to me that even the spell chants are. One would think they could have come up with something new for those, at least. Just trying to gain feedback before deciding whether or not to buy this game.

NWN1 still rocks... Waiting on the final patch and, hopefully, huge DLA downloads.

Just out of curiosity, how much new music, new sound effects, new voices are there? I had heard that some of the old stuff had been re-used, but it's news to me that even the spell chants are. One would think they could have come up with something new for those, at least. Just trying to gain feedback before deciding whether or not to buy this game.

NWN1 still rocks... Waiting on the final patch and, hopefully, huge DLA downloads.

Incredibly, OE took the time to re-record the sounds for blunt-hits-chainmail, etc.

Unfortunately, as mentioned the spell chants and music are re-used.

Don't get me wrong -- there is all-new music, and it's fine. It's simply so sparse that it only shows up in main plot areas.

I really, really hope OE builds up a full soundtrack in the expansion, so that we can replace the NWN1 music. :brows:

I would also love to see the spell chants from IWD/BG2.

Incredibly, OE took the time to re-record the sounds for blunt-hits-chainmail, etc.

Unfortunately, as mentioned the spell chants and music are re-used.

Don't get me wrong -- there is all-new music, and it's fine. It's simply so sparse that it only shows up in main plot areas.

I really, really hope OE builds up a full soundtrack in the expansion, so that we can replace the NWN1 music. :brows:

I would also love to see the spell chants from IWD/BG2.

Atari spends like 70,000$ to put a big banner up at E3, or whatever it was, yet they can't shell out a few bucks to some composer for a full score... jesus.

"NWN2 ruled over NWN easily. "

No.

I replayed thye NWN OC three times. I have only played NWN2 OC once though I'm gonna try to get through itg once mroe to get my characetr ready for the expansion.

Also, 5 months or so after NWN's release, i had already played the game in some fashion for hundreds of hours. i don't think I've reached 100 hours with NWN2 and that includes 50 or so hours of the OC, time trying to replay it, follinga round with modding,a nd trying (but fialing) to find good user made modules and PWs...

In conclusion, NWN1 > NWN2 though NWN2 gives a valiant effort 'cause at least the OC itself was fun enough to finish. That beats many games.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

2)Better optimization

Thats all.

I don't know if I'd agree with the better custom content support line. At least, if you're talking about support from the devs. It took Bioware quite a long while to get official 3dsmax exporters out to the public. Obsidian has quite a few things that could be worked out to be work more smoothly, but I'd rank them as equal or better than Bioware's support.

I am, however, slightly perturbed at the apparent lack of new modules and custom content. Personally, as an artist and creator, I see virtually no reason to stick with NWN1, with its dated, muddy graphics and limited toolset potential. Yet, NWN2's community just hasn't seemed to take off yet. It's strange, and I wonder if it's just taking a while to heat up or if it just doesn't have wings, for whatever reason.

One thing Bioware definitely did better though, was they had their Neverwinter Wednesdays, when they'd highlight new community stuff and the sort every week. I think that kind of stuff goes a long, long way in terms of keeping the public engaged and interested.

Agreed on NWN2's poor optimization, but NWN1's engine was never a prize horse either, I felt.

Did people expect OE to put out a game that is as polished as Bioware's is after several years of expansions and updates?

Also, I played the NWN1 OC within the last few months, and it is lame in my eyes. It has some good parts, but it also has some bad parts.

For example, it is really boring at times. Running through the desolate, plague ridden towns that are full of enemies in order to get to the next part of the mission is not very entertaining.

I am certainly not addicted to it as Elioraanasnasna says he was. I did get addicted to KOTOR that way though.

----------Spoileretas warning. If you haven't played NWN1 and are planning to, don't read the next paragraph, but actually, you might consider it, since then you'd know what dumb stuff you are getting into--------------

I'd like to say that Aribeth is the most annoying NPC to whom I've ever been subjugated in a game. Her voice got annoying quickly, and she had a shallow personality. I was seriously talking her through the simplest of internal/emotional "dilemmas" every time I reported back to base. Then when her precious lover dies because he was a huge traitor that the town hated for conspiring to the mass homicide of his own people, she suddenly wants revenge for him. Subsequently, when you explain to her how stupid she is, you are able to persuade her to not be stupid anymore (I am just assuming this is possible, because in my play-through she was stubborn to the end in conversation. Even when she was almost dead she didn't give up, so I had to kill her out of self-defense and because I wanted to be done with the OC). Actually, I cannot even follow the motivations these characters had, they felt so contrived.

The henchmen? I think they were well-written... some of them. I liked the bard and the rogue in the OC, but for SoU the henchmen suck in this regard. I mean, there were some colourful stories you got to hear. Did NWN2 really screw that up? I'll have to find out on my own, because I have received a ton of mixed reviews about this game.

I actually like NWN1, but I have been spoiled after playing newer Bioware games (and games from other developers) that have made improvements on the NWN model. OE would be taking a 5 year step backward if they did worse than NWN OC.

2)Better optimization

Thats all.

I don't know if I'd agree with the better custom content support line. At least, if you're talking about support from the devs. It took Bioware quite a long while to get official 3dsmax exporters out to the public. Obsidian has quite a few things that could be worked out to be work more smoothly, but I'd rank them as equal or better than Bioware's support.

I am, however, slightly perturbed at the apparent lack of new modules and custom content. Personally, as an artist and creator, I see virtually no reason to stick with NWN1, with its dated, muddy graphics and limited toolset potential. Yet, NWN2's community just hasn't seemed to take off yet. It's strange, and I wonder if it's just taking a while to heat up or if it just doesn't have wings, for whatever reason.

One thing Bioware definitely did better though, was they had their Neverwinter Wednesdays, when they'd highlight new community stuff and the sort every week. I think that kind of stuff goes a long, long way in terms of keeping the public engaged and interested.

Agreed on NWN2's poor optimization, but NWN1's engine was never a prize horse either, I felt.

What I meant was that it seems like it was so much easier to add new heads and armor and placeables and such to the game. The standard heads for NWN2 suck really bad, and there were hundreds of custom ones for NWN, nearly all of them better than the Bioware created ones what with the ridiculous hats and mustaches.

Devastatorsig.jpg

You're kidding me. Anybody who calls NWN1 polished is bat**** insane. The OC was one of the most boring I've ever played in a game (it rivalled your average FPS). The henchman were exactly that; nothing deep or immersive about them. There was no sense of strategy at all - just point and click. The environment you played in was completely uninteractive and the graphics were worse than BG2 - at least that had handmade art even if it was pixelated. Not to mention the side-quests were boring as hell and very unimaginative.

The two expansions were a lot better but they still paled in comparison to, say, BG, IWD or Torment.

Now I haven't played NWN2 yet but from what I hear it'll be just up my alley; assuming I turn puppet mode on, install all the patches and don't play it till the xpack is out.

Aribeth is awesome. One of the best npcs ever.

"Then when her precious lover dies because he was a huge traitor that the town hated for conspiring to the mass homicide of his own people"

Except, he never conspired to do any such thing. He was duped just like the rest of the town including His Almighty Lordship.

And, anyone who thinks BG2's graphics are better than NWN's is just wrong as well.

Also: NWN > KOTOR

"but I'd rank them as equal or better than Bioware's support. "

Come back in 4+ years when Obsiodian is still supporting NWN2 then you might have a case. Sytill, that's one of things I'm happy about with obsidian, and NWN2. They're supporting it more than I thought they would...

Not to mention, you say obsidian is a sgood or better yet you seem add this which kinda contradicts what you say:

"One thing Bioware definitely did better though, was they had their Neverwinter Wednesdays, when they'd highlight new community stuff and the sort every week. I think that kind of stuff goes a long, long way in terms of keeping the public engaged and interested."

"the two expansions were a lot better"

L0L You thoUGht SOU was better. HAHA! That's funny. SOU is BIO's worst RPG OC to date. Haha.

Edited by Volourn

"the two expansions were a lot better"

L0L You thoUGht SOU was better. HAHA! That's funny. SOU is BIO's worst RPG OC to date. Haha.

Yes I did. It reminded me a bit of Icewind Dale and BG1. The NPC's were more like something from BG then random characters with a generic fed ex quest attached, the story was more interesting and max level smaller; you didn't have extra filler gunk to get you up to level 20.

It wasn't the best, but it was a fun romp and certainly had more attention to detail then the OC. Then again I'm a sucker for ancient ruins and lost civilisations (and when the OC went there was about the only time I found it fun).

The way they treated the whole desther-aribeth situation in the OC was rubbish. It forced the player to accept a an explantion of events which wasn't at all logical and should have had multiple possible outcomes. Further it was just plain unecessary; put in simply to have a motivation for Aribeth's fall (which I'll add still felt very contrived - I didn't really empathise with her).

You'll excuse me if I'm ragging on NWN but I've been replaying BG1 and 2 lately and my opinions are well-founded: NWN OC is the lowest point in Bioware's CRPG history.

Oh and BTW, KOTOR > NWN.

"Oh and BTW, KOTOR > NWN."

This alone nullifies your post. :down:

P.S. I agree that the Detsher thing could have been handled better though.

Edited by Volourn

I found NWN1 boring as bat****. NWN2, however, was fab.

Exactly my thought.

"Oh and BTW, KOTOR > NWN."

This alone nullifies your post. :down:

Then your sig nullifies your every post as there are games better than either NWN1 or 2.

Bwhahahahaha!

Hrmm, I liked KOTOR better than NWN because to me it seemed like with KOTOR they just ripped all the things they liked from NWN and changed the rest to fit star wars. Bastila = Aribeth, Star Maps = Ward Stones, etc. Only because it wasn't being made as an afterthought like the NWN1 campaign was, it had a lot more polish.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I am, however, slightly perturbed at the apparent lack of new modules and custom content.

The NWN toolset is simple to use.

Seriously, that's it. A smoother learning curve means more people finishing their first module. This means less people trying to make their first module but getting frustrated and giving up. Once you have that first module out there, you get the positive feedback and you 'feel' like part of the community, and you're more likely to make a second one that's a bit more polished, and uses a bit more features.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

As much as I hate star Wars KotOR 1 and 2 were both better than NWN1 OC. In fact they were better than SoU and HotU OCs. NWN2 is better than all three games. It is the best CRPG since BG2.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"