The Great England Escape

Cantousent

He's at a castle presently and not answering his calls. :lol:

You mean the chap I can see with the red bloomers is Cant?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yes, thanks to my sister's overwhelming desire to see everything possible in less than three weeks, I've driven over 1300 miles in the past six days. Fun, huh? I'm supposed to meet a certain bloke, who shall remain nameless, in Cambridge today. That will be quite the experience, to be sure. Before you're too jealous, meta doesn't drink alcoholic beverages, so it's coffee or tea today. I think tea, as that's what I drink most at home. Iced tea? They look at me like I'm stark raving mad when I ask for it here. Luckily for me, tea, hot or cold, is my drink o' choice.

I don't have time to include tons of pictures, but I wanted to put a couple in here.

Dover, at the AA gun with my nephew:

post-787-1174032251_thumb.jpg

This is a photo of the my librarian sister in Stratford upon Avon:

post-787-1174032440_thumb.jpg

My sister has been here a few times, and my brother spends a few months in Britain and France every year, but this is my first time. There is a lot of the good, the bad, and the ugly on this trip. Overall, however, I'm very happy I came. It is something every American should do at least once.

My nephew, who is a complete brat, keeps asking why things here are so important and acting foolish. When we came out of the Magna Carta exhibit, he asked why we had to go there since it wasn't American. I am a patriot. I have no intention of comparing my country unfavorably with England. Fairly, yes, which means some things here strike my as certainly more sensible. Some things, far less so. Still, I had to explain to my nephew that the Magna Carta was as much American history as anything we have in our country. The document, attacked so often as fake democracy, proves it's importance by the very debate. It transcends nationality. We, who are not English, should venerate the document as much as any born here.

Anyhow, the full report will wait until later.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Paid ₤15 for 24 hours of internet access. Since I've already dropped the cash, I figured I'd make a quick update. Met with meta in Cambridge. It was quite fun. I told my wife to look for a nice looking Australian about SO high with blue eyes. She said, "oh, that will help." meta brought a friend and apparently told her to look for a tall American. haha

Anyhow, I've become quite enthralled with London and I loved the Lake district. However, my crazy sister wanted to do so much I spent most of my time driving. I drove some 2400 miles since we landed in London. I'll give the full report when I return stateside.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Don

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Met with meta in Cambridge.

And one of them was never heard from again.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Now I'm back in Las Vegas, but I will be returning to my actual residence tomorrow, from which I can recount the days in England. I will be most happy to list the good, the bad, and the ugly. Overall, I'm glad I went and, although there were things about the country that I found puzzling or even outright irritating, much of the worst in my trip came from other factors. For example, having a 12 year old with whom I was compelled to smack on a few occassions. My brother has raised a child who understands and respects only physical force. I am willing to use such force, but I despise it. So, unfortunately, the ugliest thing thing in my England escape was something I imported with me from the United States.

Obsidian Plays

At least you can get a good cuppa in the UK. :brows:

When you say "cuppa", do you mean coffee? Because, if you do mean coffee, that is so incredibly untrue, it just boggles the mind.

Edit: If you don't then, of course, I'll shut up.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

At least you can get a good cuppa in the UK. :brows:

When you say "cuppa", do you mean coffee? Because, if you do mean coffee, that is so incredibly untrue, it just boggles the mind.

Edit: If you don't then, of course, I'll shut up.

He means tea...

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I should have stayed quiet, then... :brows:

Heja Sverige!!

Well, actually, the coffee in the UK is better than that found in (most) of the US, too ... :shifty:

American coffee has to be really vile for that to be true.

Heja Sverige!!

Isn't that what you English people do? Or is it "just" 3:1 for you?

Heja Sverige!!

And how much does that cost you?

Because a "bica" here in Portugal costs around 60 euro cents.

Heja Sverige!!

I love the United Kingdom. I love the history. I love the people. I love the very idea of Great Britain.

Don

Obsidian Plays

We are British too, you know.

I've suspected as much, but I don't know how to break this to my Czech friend. He's real caught up in his heritage.

I guess it's easy for me, I'm irish by descent and that's halfway there, amirite? There's Whiskey in the jar!

Edited by Pop

Britain sounds kind of crappy but what do you expect from a bunch of crazy elitist white people left on a small island with shi for weather and eating beans on toast for too long. I mean seriously who drives on the left side of the road these days? Anyways can't wait for the good list. :sorcerer:

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

What the hell is the UK thinking with their speed limit signs? Good Lord, people, post your damnable national speed limit more than once. ONCE. I literally saw the national speed limit once. 70 and 60. Since I was tired and driving at the time, with other folks sleeping in the car, I didn't see which applied where.

I know its too late and you probably know this by now, but the sign to show the national speed limit applies is:

440px-Natspeedlimit.jpg

Here are some other road signs. http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs04.htm

I'm sorry to hear about your other non family related gripes, but like yeah... I guess I don't notice them because I am acclimatised.

Better luck next time eh?