The Great England Escape

Cantousent

Can't they just put a sign displaying the limit instead of a circle with a slash through it?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The sign indicates the end of local traffic conditions.

Also, you wouldn't have to pay any ticket you got. Last time I checked, even the voracious Chancellor of the Exchequer doesn't extradite foreigners for unpaid speeding fines, and there's no way to apply penalty points to a foreign licence.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

England. You might think, from my previous post, that England was all bad and that I had a miserable time. In fact, nothing could be farther from the truth. In many ways, I miss England even now, sitting in the comfort of my own home. Like anything else, one bad aspect can color an experience. Had it not been for the troubles I brought with me, I

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I've never understood people who think Hershey Milk Chocolate is great. I prefer milk chocolate over dark, but Hershey is ... well, it's just Hershey.

The whole bit on chocolate reminded me of this Swiss exchange student we had once, who complained that Swiss cheese in America had absolutely no flavor. We even went to a few "snob delis" and ordered the strongest most expensive supposed imported Swiss they had, which wrinkled my mother's nose, but he still thought it was horrible & tasteless. hehe

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In my heart, I truly think that the United Kingdom at the height of empire is the grandest nation in our history. It had drive of Rome and the grand ideas of the Ancient Athenians. It had the presence of the United States and the elegance of imperial China. For centuries, a tiny country with a relatively small population dominated the world with little more than technical ingenuity and sheer force of will. I love Great Britain.

That is one of the nicest things I've ever heard anyone say about Britian. Really. :lol:

There were enforcement cameras for the speed limits, traffic lights, jay walking, washing your hands in the restroom, hair parting, etc.

As far as I'm aware, and I could be mistake, we don't have jay walking over here. If we do, no one pays any attention to it, ever. Even the cops do it. As far as I recall, we've never been taught in school not to 'jay walk'. In fact, I only heard the term when I was in the US/Canada. I find it absurd that anyone would fine you for something as simple as crossing a road. Admittely, yours are a lot bigger though.

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

It was fun to read about your experiences in the UK, a place I've always wanted to visit. I can relate to your admiration of the country in some ways; I don't know why but I have been fascinated by England since I was young.

And hopefully you get published so I can finally read your manuscript.

Edited by Blank

In my heart, I truly think that the United Kingdom at the height of empire is the grandest nation in our history. It had drive of Rome and the grand ideas of the Ancient Athenians. It had the presence of the United States and the elegance of imperial China. For centuries, a tiny country with a relatively small population dominated the world with little more than technical ingenuity and sheer force of will. I love Great Britain.

That is one of the nicest things I've ever heard anyone say about Britian. Really. :lol:

There were enforcement cameras for the speed limits, traffic lights, jay walking, washing your hands in the restroom, hair parting, etc.

As far as I'm aware, and I could be mistake, we don't have jay walking over here. If we do, no one pays any attention to it, ever. Even the cops do it. As far as I recall, we've never been taught in school not to 'jay walk'. In fact, I only heard the term when I was in the US/Canada. I find it absurd that anyone would fine you for something as simple as crossing a road. Admittely, yours are a lot bigger though.

Jay Walking is perfectly legal in the UK. They don't teach people not to jay walk, more how to cross a road.

Now in America... Well, you're obviously not trusted with walking across a road. Perhaps it's too complex a task for the average american, I dunno.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

hahaha Having driven in London, albeit briefly, I can laugh at your comments! Seriously, though, my sister was a freak about crossing the road. Even if there were no cars in sight, she insisted that we stay for the walk signal to cross. The locals, of course, were crossing in droves. If it were all countryside drives, I don't think I would have minded at all. The city and, heaven help me, village drives drove me insane. Not any worse than driving in... say... Boston, but I hate driving there also.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Really cool to read your travelogue there. Fantastic to hear someone who can appreciate another country without dissing their own. To picture my reaction, imagine this big Union Jack unfurling behind the PC and this lion stalking in majestically to roar to the accompaniment of the Royal Marines band playing 'Rule Britannia' from the deck of the Victory. Then, as you continued the flag fell down, the Victory sank, and the lion coughed and expired.

I'm sorry now I couldn't find time to meet you while you were over. Your stay should havee included at least some sitting in a country garden sipping tea.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

hahaha Having driven in London, albeit briefly, I can laugh at your comments! Seriously, though, my sister was a freak about crossing the road. Even if there were no cars in sight, she insisted that we stay for the walk signal to cross. The locals, of course, were crossing in droves. If it were all countryside drives, I don't think I would have minded at all. The city and, heaven help me, village drives drove me insane. Not any worse than driving in... say... Boston, but I hate driving there also.

Well let that be a lesson to you, stay outta London!

London != Nice English place.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I wonder if anyone else noticed the metaphor, now quite commonly heard, of England being to the US what Greece was to the Roman Empire in the Ancient World?

The natural attitude of the Greek to the Roman was one of contempt mingled with fear; the Greek felt himself more civilized, but politically less powerful. If the Romans were more successful in politics, that only showed that politics is an ignoble pursuit. The average Greek of the second century BC was pleasure-loving, quick-witted, clever in the business, and unscrupulous in all things.

:yucky:

Your stay should have included at least some sitting in a country garden sipping tea.

He was too interested in supping beer from every available spout to contaminate the experience with a good cup of tea.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oh, bite me, you swine-hearted wretch. I drank plenty of tea in England. Hell, I drink plenty of tea at home and a damned lot less beer.

Now, as to the Greeks and Romans, that's a short statement about a complex relationship if I've ever heard one, the reputation of the author notwithstanding. How about this, the Romans were exquisite builders and wonderful administrators, but the Greeks always felt superior. Their creative talents were far greater than the Romans, but the Romans were far more vicious. In fact, the Greeks had a view of the Romans as being brutal. At least, that was the way some Greeks felt. They didn't do polling back then.

Since you're from New Zealand, I believe, (hahahaha) I don't think you have any great insight into the relationship the United States has with Great Britain. I've heard it said that the British walk upon the earth as if they own it while the Americans walks upon the earth as if they doesn't care who owns it.

Obsidian Plays

I'm surprised to hear a US citizen who has even heard of New Zealand, with their amazing grasp of geography. :( I can even forgive the fact that you are still a few thousand miles east (and south) of God's country. :woot:

And, just so that you know, tea is not made by pouring hot water into a half-cup of milk and tossing in a teabag. :(

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I reiterate, you swine. hahahah

I actually drink a lot of tea at home, but it's all Lipton, so it doesn't count. Picture coming up. Oh, and since you always strike me as being a hell of a lot more private than me, I'll leave it to you to post a pic of us in front of the museum. :cant's tongue in cheek icon:

Obsidian Plays