Pictures of your games...

Darque

Can't you get a more detailed view of the action? Is there a zoom function? :confused:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I like both.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Gobble gobble.

Always nice havign some T-34s do the heavy lifting for you.

I played the Grand Campaign as the Germans, and it was always a pissoff going up against a T-34. Especially since they were diesel and my tanks were petrol. It wasn't uncommon for my tanks to have their engines frozen.

If the game plays anything like the originals, I should probably pick it up so I can play Walsingham (he challenged me to a duel once upon a time). The Close Combat series was the first series that showed me a real-time game does not need to be a click-fest, nor does it mean that tactics no longer matter. It's also nice because things like suppression fire work (and work awesome). It's so cool having a rifle team pin down an enemy squad, as your group of scouts flank them and toss hand grenades onto their position.

I remember holding the Arnhem Bridge in the second one, with nothing but paratroopers. THere was a Tiger Tank driving around the area, and the few guns that I had were all taken out. So I had a British PIAT unit sneak into a two storie building. I'd only get one shot before the Tiger pointed it's guns in my direction, so I had to make it count. Waited and waited for the Tiger to close in, and when it was 30 m out, I gave the order. Boom! One dead Tiger, and the Germans were immediately interested in a Ceasefire.

It's pretty much CC3 redux. Improved interface +/- AI, some changes for more historical accuracy. There's also an extra grand campaign with 26 new maps.

For mp, there's also a new 'map of Europe' metagame, where players duke it out 1on1 on different parts of the map to gain ground for their side.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Just some tattooes around the eyes from a user mod creation.

Hehe, Barbarossa map. Last 5 min as both sides converge into a bloody standstill to capture the ford. I eventually got those jerks into requesting a truce, and I succeeded in holding my ground. Though, I had some heavier losses, mainly attributed to the loss of my AT gun early on and that stupid Stug breaching through my lines of defence (see Exhibit A at the far right, which I forced into surrender after some heavy losses).

post-161-1171642705_thumb.jpg

Hadescopy.jpg

Mind that tank!

What tank?

*splat*

Well, I've stopped playing single battle and started the (original) Grand Campaign. It turns out to be the Barbarossa map that I played a little earlier. The difference is that I'm stuck with green reserve conscripts. The enemy had a Pz38, which my only AT dude couldn't manage to flank, given that it was defended by accompanying German troops. As the tank and its buddies marched past the ford, I could do little more than just let them claim it. I managed to hold the bridge for a while, but mortar support ran low and they completely overwhelmed me in firepower and numbers. I had to pull off a retreat with some smoke for cover. By then, I had one half-broken 'squad' (by which I really mean 4 guys) and the commander trying to hold the last victory location. The enemy tank quickly closed in, and we were powerless to letting it capture the final spot. As I was trying to limit my imminent losses, I had been requesting a truce for a while. They only accepted it upon taking all the victory points. Jerks.

I managed to kill about 5 of them and wound 6 of them. I had the exact same losses, with 3 prisoners in addition to that. Their sheer superiority in numbers and firepower made this a lost cause, but I suppose I could have held on for 2 more minutes had I done a few things differently. But oh well, on to round 2.

It was nice to see the AI from the ford (from the north) try to flank my defences to the south (just east of the bridge, those two houses) with a MG. Very nice indeed.

Bring it on, Germans.

post-161-1171747932_thumb.jpg

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

Once you start getting better AT weaponry (KV-1 Tanks, T-34s, 76mm AT Gun) you'll find yourself getting in a much better situation defensively. Don't forget about artillery strikes (assuming the map has them). I believe the Soviets use rocket artillery.

I'm glad I'm losing and the AI seems at least competent. I want a challenge without the AI cheating too much (I'm playing on the default Veteran). To be honest, I like these maps with scant resources and more emphasis on infantry. Tanks are nice and all, but I don't really want them to dominate the game (which, unfortunately, seems to be what CC3 may consist of, which is fine, for one game in the series).

How do artillery strikes work? You mean off-map rocket artillery support, or are they just units?

Hadescopy.jpg

The Russian Front definitely has more tank battles. There will be some operations that are definitely geared towards tank battles (they're out in open fields, and give you hundreds of requisition points), but if you're ever in a town/city, the tanks become much more vulnerable. Nothing like cooking a tank with a flamethrower to absolutely ruin his day.

The biggest difference between it and A Bridge Too Far was the removal of the differentiation between Infantry and Support units. IN ABTF, the most tanks you could have is 6, with up to 9 infantry squads. In The Russian Front, you can have 15 tanks if you want.

It is nerve racking firing an AT Rifle at the Panzer III coming down your general direction.

I was talking about Off-Map artillery strikes. I remember not noticing them for quite a while, but there should be a button for it on your status bar somewhere, assuming you have it (you don't always have artillery strikes). Later on in the game you get access to them, which can be quite helpful.

Edited by alanschu

Alright, I'll keep an eye for that. Given that it's the first map, I doubt I had any support.

And yeah, I'm aware of the lack of infantry/support segmentation. Jerkface was complaining about that too.

Hadescopy.jpg