is there a difference between rpg and fps anymore?

Kalfear

So this topic is really about how much you don't want a "tr00" RPG to be soiled by FPS-elements?

Not really, but it would be nice to have one "tr00" RPG for every 100 1st person Action/RPG... is that really asking too much?

Hell, If it is I would honestly be happy with 1:1000.

Edited by Mortis Nai

Because you don't get it?

What is there to get? What does a cat have to do with anything about computer gaming, camera view, and design?

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

In FPV, you can look anywhere. On the sky, on your shoes etc etc.... how is that narrow? Do your own eyes hover somewhere over your shoulder, or are they still in your eye sockets?

It is narrow because you can only look what is right in front of you and that is it. First Person view does not take into account of all the visual range of human perception and it can't.

You're talking about "visual range of human perception"? Go take a biomedical engineering course to understand something about that topic, then come back. You want to see the bells & whistles of your character, that's all. Dressing up like a doll is fun, my sister liked that when she was a little girl too. But to me that's not critical to get "immersed" into the game. In FPV, I craft my own experience without thinking how nice my dress looks. Ohhh look at this! New shiny armour! Teh immershoun!!!

Okay, this argument is over. You are going into the realm of personal insults so there is no more point in discussing this any further.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

You're talking about "visual range of human perception"? Go take a biomedical engineering course to understand something about that topic, then come back. You want to see the bells & whistles of your character, that's all. Dressing up like a doll is fun, my sister liked that when she was a little girl too. But to me that's not critical to get "immersed" into the game. In FPV, I craft my own experience without thinking how nice my dress looks. Ohhh look at this! New shiny armour! Teh immershoun!!!

Okay, this argument is over. You are going into the realm of personal insults so there is no more point in discussing this any further.

You feel personally insulted because you just can't argue properly, that's all.

Isometric games feels like playing with dolls.

First person games feels like playing the role.

I do enjoy third person games too though. Like the Gothic's.

Oh yes, no peripheral vision really makes the immersion feel like I am playing a "role." :)

But seeing behind you is A-OK! :sorcerer:

Fine. I guess the only option I have as a gamer that I must either like first person view or I need to get out of gaming. Nice attitude you guys have. :)

Fine.  I guess the only option I have as a gamer that I must either like first person view or I need to get out of gaming.  Nice attitude you guys have.  :)

The same could be said about the change from FP turn based rpg games like Bard's Tale... the old icon games like Wizards Crown and Pool of Radiance... or Iso turn based games like Fallout 2... or Iso real time games like Baldur's Gate...

Times change, games change. Adapt or be unhappy. :sorcerer:

I would think that having a toggle between first person view and third person view is adapting. It allows the player to choose how he or she plays the game by giving the player a greater range of choices. Obviously you people don't want that choice. I guess that is not good enough for you people.

Edited by Sand

It would depend on teh type of game it is.

If it's a generic RPG like say... Morrowind.. you might have a point.

But if it's an RPG where the view and what you can and can't see is important, then having a toggle would not be a good thing. :)

Sorry, I don't buy that one bit. I hate first person view. I will always hate first person view. I will not use first person view in my CRPGs. If I am no longer given a choice in the matter then I won't be buying that CRPG.

I don't mind first person view being in the game if we can toggle between it and third person, but I will not use it.

Edited by Sand

Sorry, I don't buy that one bit.  I hate first person view.  I will always hate first person view.  I will not use first person view in my CRPGs.  If I am no longer given a choice in the matter then I won't be buying that CRPG. 

I don't mind first person view being in the game if we can toggle between it and third person, but I will not use it.

Ok. :)

I'm sure the one unit sale said gamecompany would lose will make them want to accomidate you next time. :sorcerer:

And since I'm having this flashback of Volourn saying something similar to you once, long ago, I'll add a r00fles in for good measure. :ph34r:

Ok. :sorcerer:

I'm sure the one unit sale said gamecompany would lose will make them want to accomidate you next time. :)

And since I'm having this flashback of Volourn saying something similar to you once, long ago, I'll add a r00fles in for good measure. :ph34r:

Listen, you don't have to be so freaking condescending about it, Darque. Sheesh, talk about being rude. :)

I just would like the option of being able to play in the third person. Like I said, I don't mind one bit if they put first person view in the game. More power to those who want first person. They should have that option in a game, because there are those who do like first person view. I don't see why we cannot have both views in a modern 3D game.

I am trying to reach a compromise here in which both camps of the debate can go away happy. Is that so wrong?

Yes, it will cost time and money to implement both but in the end it will mean a higher quality game which will overall yield more sales.

Sorry, I don't buy that one bit.  I hate first person view.  I will always hate first person view.  I will not use first person view in my CRPGs.  If I am no longer given a choice in the matter then I won't be buying that CRPG. 

Ok. :)

I'm sure the one unit sale said gamecompany would lose will make them want to accomidate you next time. :sorcerer:

R00fles!

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I guess I am wrong in trying to seek a reasonable compromise. :)