Free anti virus program

Gorgon

I'm using Trend Mirco PC chillin' atm and it's pretty horrible. It will bring me back to the desktop to tell me it's updating, and every version upgrade requires a reboot, there seems to be one of those a day at least. Not to mention it quite often peaks to 20% CPU usage and starts the HD going furiously.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm using Avast!.

Ditto - I have used most of them out there for both myself and clients ... this one remains the best, imo. Constantly updated and a small footprint.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I use AVG Free Edition. Constantly updated and a small footprint as well.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Free updates will end in the new year.

What? How dare they take away my free updates!? :bat:

EDIT: Are they actually stopping the free updates? I can't find anything to that effect. Version 7.1 is being discontinued, but there is still version 7.5 :ermm:

Edited by Deraldin

Do you have a link to where you saw that?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

EDIT: Are they actually stopping the free updates? I can't find anything to that effect. Version 7.1 is being discontinued, but there is still version 7.5 :ermm:

Oh right... ok then ignore what I said. For some reason I was under the impression 7.5 would not be free.

Oh right... ok then ignore what I said. For some reason I was under the impression 7.5 would not be free.

He's a witch!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

He's a witch!

Not a warlock? :huh:

IB1OsQq.png

I'm using Trend Mirco PC chillin' atm and it's pretty horrible. It will bring me back to the desktop to tell me it's updating, and every version upgrade requires a reboot, there seems to be one of those a day at least. Not to mention it quite often peaks to 20% CPU usage and starts the HD going furiously.

I have AVG free at home, and Trend Micro client/server at work. I hate trend micro because, on the average, my computer runs noticeably slower and has frequent pauses where the hard drive takes off randomly. It ran so much better before IT installed this crap.

I don't get computer virii, and indeed have never had one, but I use AVG to make the folks I send emails and files to feel better.

Prevention is better than Cure.

• Never use an Administrative account for browsing. Log on to an Admin account temporarily only to install software that you completely trust, and to change system-wide settings. Use non-privileged accounts for everything else.
  • Always use an NTFS filesystem, and make sure that executable files are only writeable from an Admin account (this is hard to do in WinXP Home. Only Pro and MCE show the full NTFS interface).
  • Never install any ActiveX controls. Ever.
  • Use Firefox instead of IE (this seems to be the general perception, although personally I've always felt that IE is pretty safe as long as you stay away from ActiveX).
  • Use firewalls. The combination of a hardware firewall on your router and the default WinXP firewall can nip a lot of vulnerabilities in the bud.
  • A lot of viruses spead via e-mail. Avoid using fancy e-mail clients like Outlook. Try to use web-based e-mail services such as Hotmail and Yahoo, and do not download attachments unless absolutely necessary. If you're using Hotmail/Passport, do not access your Inbox via Outlook, access it from a web-browser.
  • Keep macros disabled in all MS-Office documents, unless of course you are sure that they are from a reliable source.
  • Be aware that if you follow the above steps, some malicious programs may still creep into your user-writeable space, but their activity will be localized to the current user and usually cannot affect system files. If you suspect that your user space has been compromised, transfer your most critical files, documents and bookmarks that were residing in the user space, log out, destroy the infected user, and create a new user. This is not foolproof, but it's the best you can do under the circumstances.

I remember watching a BBC show a year or so ago where they did an experiment to prove a point about vulnerability.

They installed fresh OS, windows XP, and connected to the internet using no antivirus or network protection software. Within 30 seconds the machine had been recognised as an easy mark and been infected by a worm.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

• A lot of viruses spead via e-mail. Avoid using fancy e-mail clients like Outlook. Try to use web-based e-mail services such as Hotmail and Yahoo, and do not download attachments unless absolutely necessary. If you're using Hotmail/Passport, do not access your Inbox via Outlook, access it from a web-browser.

One of the things I do to prevent bugs from using my system as a jumping point is that I don't use my Address Book. I have a Notepad file with all my e-mail addresses ( and notes for each of them ). I copy/paste to mail.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

[...]

I'd add to this list (thus reiterating some of the points I've been saying before)

• Disable JavaScript, whitelist trusted sites that require it.
  • Don't use top selling AV software (Symantec, Trend Micro, McAfee)

Actually I don't see the reason for not using an e-mail client.

Why not use Thunderbird or TheBat instead?

Edited by Diamond

I meant the alternative mail clients, which use their own address book formats. The reason Windows address book is so widely used by malware authors is that because can be easily accessed even from a vbscript. I haven't seen a malware sample yet that looks for Thunderbird address book, probably because it is not widespread enough.

And it is not just the web mail, but the whole mail service that has virus scanning.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.