Search for the Word of Chaos!

Jorian Drake

Is it Word or World?  The graphics look nice.  What's the gameplay like?  Turn based?  1st person?

Now that's a good question: Caldwell's first book is named 'Word of Chaos', and that was the moment of the creation of the 'World of Chaos',

we still don't know what the name should be, I suggested 'Word' simply because 'World' sounds now like an mmo, and it isn't one.

It is both turn based and real time, you decide how you want to play it (but i think turn based is better for it)

it is mostly in a 'look from above and a bit behind' view, like most other games, but it can be that t here will be an option for 1st person before it gets released.

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

Will it be translated? In English or French, I'm interested.

I find it interesting that the main character is not a nice looking white person for a change. :ermm:

EDIT: I just watched the trailers and all I can say is (w00t)

But I can also say that for some reason, the turn-based combat sequence in the bigger trailer reminded me of Neverend for some reason but from the looks of it, WoC cannot be as bad as that game.

Hey it looks even better than NWN2 imo.

Edited by astr0creep

That does look very good.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Interesting, especially if they create a good english version.

I'd also like to have a first-person view because I'm getting tired of these newer 3D games that don't offer it. What's the point of 3D if you can't enjoy a real 3D view? Might as well be isometric if all you're going to provide is overhead cameras. Despite its flaws, Ultima IX provided a toggleable first-person view, and I used it quite a lot, both for up-close examination and for enjoying the 3D world, which still looks nice despite its age. I think modern developers must have a brain tumor or something since they keep leaving this obvious camera mode out. Or maybe they don't want us getting a very close look at their mediocre textures.

At any rate, I'll have to look at the trailers tonight when I have more free time. If that innkeeper (or whatever) is any indication, this game might have something different to offer in the way of flora and fauna, which would be refreshing.

ohhhh. That looks nice. I love that town screenie. Can you walk around in that town? Is it as big as it looks?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

1. Looks better than NWN2, specially the first shot. (Will probably run better as well) However the sky in the second pic could use some work.

2. Have you got a high res version of the orc wallpaper?

3. Is there a website for the game?

4. What sort of dialogue system is being used?

Looks cool, Jorian.  :thumbsup:

What exactly was your role in this team, by the way?

Let's say 'grey eminence'. I have 3 friends in the developer team and im many times by them, making suggestions, some of them became part of the game, oh and i get sometimes beer or pizza for them too. o:)

Will it be translated? In English or French, I'm interested.

I find it interesting that the main character is not a nice looking white person for a change. ;)

Yes it will be translated atleast into german and english, maybe even more but those aren't completed yet.

EDIT: I just watched the trailers and all I can say is  (w00t) 

But I can also say that for some reason, the turn-based combat sequence in the bigger trailer reminded me of Neverend for some reason but from the looks of it, WoC cannot be as bad as that game.

Hey it looks even better than NWN2 imo.

Thanks, i knock on wood while i say it seems no extra problems will happen before release

At any rate, I'll have to look at the trailers tonight when I have more free time. If that innkeeper (or whatever) is any indication, this game might have something different to offer in the way of flora and fauna, which would be refreshing.

You can be sure it will have quite different flora/fauna than you are used to, the world has its own unique gods, plants, animals, and sentient races (of course you will see already known ones, like a cow or an elf ;) )

ohhhh.  That looks nice.  I love that town screenie.  Can you walk around in that town?  Is it as big as it looks?

The towns are quite big, and yes you can walk around (except if the town guard is after you, or if you loose your legs :p )

1. Looks better than NWN2, specially the first shot. (Will probably run better as well) However the sky in the second pic could use some work.

2. Have you got a high res version of the orc wallpaper?

3. Is there a website for the game?

4. What sort of dialogue system is being used?

1. I had to get a new computer for NWN2, but WoC worked well on my former PC above medium quality settings, nearly the maximum.

2. Yes I have

3. Yes there is, but it hasn't been upgraded since '05 doh, when people had some time they worked on the game, and not on the side, there are the wallpapers, but all other info there is VERY old.

4. I'm not sure how i should understand this, but I try to answer: you gain access to dialouge options regarding your former actions, your 'alignment', the skill in speech, bartering, whit whom you speak, the memory of people who you met before (the react to you differently if you do something that was good/bad for them), and whet members you have in your team with you.

(I hope i didn't forget anything)

IB1OsQq.png

Finally got to look at the videos. The gameplay is very NWN-esque, though it seems the animation is smoother and more realistic. Odd that we'll be playing a half-orc, or something, and I hope his 'secret' doesn't turn out to be another episode of the child of Bhaal or something. That would feel too much like a 'been there done that' situation unless you never played the BG series.

They advertise third-person view, so it looks like there's no first-person planned. That's disappointing, but I'll still check it out if reviews are positive enough.

"It's not about good and evil now, it's all about law and chaos."

It's the pre-AD&D ruleset?!?11!! :))

Nada D&D at all, the world has its own pnp system

Finally got to look at the videos. The gameplay is very NWN-esque, though it seems the animation is smoother and more realistic. Odd that we'll be playing a half-orc, or something, and I hope his 'secret' doesn't turn out to be another episode of the child of Bhaal or something. That would feel too much like a 'been there done that' situation unless you never played the BG series.

They advertise third-person view, so it looks like there's no first-person planned. That's disappointing, but I'll still check it out if reviews are positive enough.

I said most news are old, and also the trailers are. Graphs are more advanced since then.

This is no copy of BG or something, its about a book created in the late '80-s what has created the basics of its own world and history, the book became a trilogy, then many other hungarian writers also expanded the world,

i can say the journey of Skandar Graun (the half-orc) will not end in this game, if the players become interested in it, the possibilities are huge, even if we just remake the books into stories, but we don't do just that: we include alternate possibilities to allow nonlinear gameplay, and expand the main story with brand new quests and options.

(In the original book 'Word of Chaos' nearly all the characters died, now YOU can have the luck/skill to get all your companions out of the adventure alive -if you want to-)

so... is your inventory in your pants like in Monkey island?

Nope, in his socks :rolleyes:

:p

(stupid question, stupid answer :p )

:D

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

Cool. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

I'm always up for a new cRPG. It seems like I'm depending more and more on European developers for my cRPG fix, since I'm planning to play Gothic 3 when the the game is debugged, looking forward to the Witcher and now I'm keeping my on this one.

I just hope the translation is great.

Cool. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

I'm always up for a new cRPG. It seems like I'm depending more and more on European developers for my cRPG fix, since I'm planning to play Gothic 3 when the the game is debugged, looking forward to the Witcher and now I'm keeping my on this one.

I just hope the translation is great.

It will be, because I don't do it! :lol:

IB1OsQq.png

• 5 months later...

'Word of Chaos' was renamed to 'World of Chaos' and is now out in Germany/Austria.

However I do NOT suggest to buy it yet, as you know a lot of patches were needed for even NWN2 to be fully enjoyable (some more could be still usable),

and as World of Chaos was done by a small 'garageteam' i don't think they are so swift to patch it as Obsidian.

My thoughts on the game:

Sadly it became rushed, because since the start of the developement a lot of other similar games were made (NWN2, Oblivion, Gothic 3, ect.),

but also because the title was given to a newly created team (the title exists and expands since over 10 years in books, and many other authors also joined to improve/expand it) that had no experience. (other problems in the nation 'lately' modified the quality too sadly)

How sad the situation is, is also shown on the fact that the major RPG world created in Hungary, by hungarian authors, favored by many hungarians wasn't even released yet in hungarian in Hungary :ermm:

As said before the world itself is great, but to show that you have to make the game great too.

As with many other games today (it seems to be a problem lately) also WoC needs patches...a lot of them to be r eally enjoyable.

2 of the things i dislike about the basics of the game is that :

1. the author 'John Caldwell' allowed the german game releaser to influence him on the original looks of the main character (you already saw Skandar as a typical western looking half-orc from the trailers, so thats not new...)

2. the change of the gamename from 'word' to 'world' put it into a bad situation on the market (as i think) because it now sounds like a silly MMO clone or what

Stay tuned?

I say yes, after the patches it can still become enjoyable, and you should be ab le to get the world I (also) love to know a bit better.

However, i do hope that now after the gamerelease the books get released in other languages too, s those are the 'real spirit' and the game couldn't grow up to the title.

We know now the ugly and bad things, any good ones?

Well...its out!

Many games already fail to become released, so atleast this was managed to become true.

I hope the game will be updated, or that maybe the newby team gets now more experienced (or that an experienced western team might get interest in the title and get the license)

If you can figure out how i feel right now you can guess my world is a bit shattered after this (like that of the terminator fans after the 3rd movie, or if Troika would have f**ked up V:M for that worlds fans)

But again: just look out for the game, when it gets atleast 3rd time patched, and released in english/hungarian languages too

EDIT: german site

http://www.woc-game.de/

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png