Have an Idea of a videogame? Post it here!

pcgammer500

Have you played The Longest Journey, Pop? There was a long puzzleless section just after the intro that basically had you engaging optional dialogue with your pals, getting to know them and familiarising yourself with the universe. I think any game could benefit from that kind of thing. Deus Ex had similar thing done in Unatco HQ.

I haven't played The Longest Journey, but Rojsberg mentioned his idea being like Half-Life, and I imagined the interesting but rather detached Half-Life opening sequence multiplied in length many times over. That's what I responded to. As much as I liked that Valve had the balls to include a quiet beginning to the game, I recognized that it was all flavoring, a prelude to what the real game was (personally, my favorite parts of Half-Life were the transitional phases, where you had a crowbar and a gun with one clip and you had to figure out what the hell was up). I'm saying that if we're going to make a game with a long, quiet beginning, then we have to do a better job than that of making that part just as relevant as the part with all the fire and action. Maybe The Longest Journey does that, but Half-Life surely doesn't.

Have you played The Longest Journey, Pop? There was a long puzzleless section just after the intro that basically had you engaging optional dialogue with your pals, getting to know them and familiarising yourself with the universe. I think any game could benefit from that kind of thing. Deus Ex had similar thing done in Unatco HQ.

You should play the Last Express. The entire first disk is almost devoid of puzzles, and its just about exploring the train, listening in on conversations and getting a feel of whats going on.

^ yeah that was my idea .. I just didn't present it that well it seems..

but I was actually thinking less of a shooter and more of an adventure/rpg - the importance of getting a quiet start is feeling the difference, if you start out with a destroyed world you won't feel the emotional impact of it's destruction. Kinda like how you felt really lost in Homeworld, when you returned to a burning planet.

And I would like an apacolypse game that has more focus on story than combat - but not ruling it out entirely. Stealth and savy should be the best option though.. since it would be more realistic for a normal guy to try and avoid any direct danger!

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

but I was actually thinking less of a shooter and more of an adventure/rpg - the importance of getting a quiet start is feeling the difference, if you start out with a destroyed world you won't feel the emotional impact of it's destruction. Kinda like how you felt really lost in Homeworld, when you returned to a burning planet.

And I would like an apacolypse game that has more focus on story than combat - but not ruling it out entirely. Stealth and savy should be the best option though.. since it would be more realistic for a normal guy to try and avoid any direct danger!

Hmm. A post-apocalyptical Survival/RPG? ;)

Set in a post-apocalyptic human-colonized world in the distant future.

This, is like my dream game, Distant, crazy neon lights everywhere future with flying cars and ****, but everything reduced to rubble, man forced to live on what he finds. and the prospect of it not being earth, but just a colonized world that may have just been seeded but not watched so theres no real hope of a rescue or fix, or maybe with that lingering hope but it'd never really happen till like the 3rd sequal or something, or they'd go all fallout2 and just come by and kill everyone. (why is this in the pen n paper section?) anyway, yeah. the actual gameplay I'd probobly leave up to developers. although you can't go wrong with any sort of "level-up" system. even if it's more of a vampire: thing where you just spend points into abilities. but yes, Futureistic/post apocalyptic with a bit of space/sci fi mixed in. that's a beautiful scenario for a video game!

Hmm. A post-apocalyptical Survival/RPG? >_<

Yeah sounds great! I can envison in my mind some guy in a tattered dress shirt and slacks hiding behind a burning car as some sort of mutant dog wanders by. As the game progresses the main character can start to turn into something of a badass as he fights for his survival. First weapon, stapler.

Hmm. A post-apocalyptical Survival/RPG? :-

Yeah sounds great! I can envison in my mind some guy in a tattered dress shirt and slacks hiding behind a burning car as some sort of mutant dog wanders by. As the game progresses the main character can start to turn into something of a badass as he fights for his survival. First weapon, stapler.

What I had in mind was more something like Robinson's Requiem.

Surviving in a strange world with unknown creatures. Having to "test" possible sources of food and managing the after effects, all the while having to save this strange world in order to get off of it.

Something like that.