Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

Indeed.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Sorta, except Takahata and, maybe, Oshii or the guy who did Barefoot Gen... Mori Masaki.

PS: This week: Project A, Supercop, The Enforcer, Who Am I?, Vera Drake, and Sa mori ranit din dragoste de viata.

Sure, I'm completely lost as to what to see next - I've got 2 Mike Leigh flicks, a couple ancient Bergmans and this Samo Hung piece where he, basically, plays Jackie's retarded sibling... half bland, soul-wrecking drama|half kung-fu wankery, sorta like Rain Man meats Enter the Dragon, if Hoffman were fat and Bruce Lee not-really-as-talented.

I don't know Mori Masaki, but Oshii is in no way as talented as Miyazaki and Takahata.

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

Well, yeah, he's yet to surpass Angel's Egg - Innocence was visually interesting and he did write Jin-Roh, which in retrospect (the script) wasn't all that great, plus I think he spreads his legs for Godard big time; but, like, I'd rather watch 10 minutes of Angel's Egg than all of Spirited Away, so he wins by default.... I need you to recommend me something to watch, I've got:

Nuts in May, Heart of the Dragon, Crisis, A Lesson In Love, Proc

Well, you can't really go wrong with Bergman and I've heard that Bresson's flick is really good, but I haven't seen it.

It's hard to think of a movie you haven't seen, but I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Are you familiar with Almod

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

Try The Haunting, then. Or Rosemary's Baby. And The Thing is pretty damn good.

Edit: Hey, what's this deleting crap? <_>

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

I've got a horrible track record with horror flicks... The Thing DVD's still waiting its turn next to Shane and this awful Bunuel musical (I was barely able to find)... Romero and Argento are basically unknown to me and I've yet to watch any of the "classic" exploitation, ahem, nunsploitation films.... yet, I don't feel bad 'bout this, not at all, really... Muso says I should watch Shiri.

PS:

I saw Kika when I was 5; couldn't stand the camera work in Tacones Lejanos (but, you know, it's been a while, opinions change and preferences even more so)... I've always wanted to watch his gay flick... is it any good? Volver's in town, or so my Biology teacher tells me.

PPS:

Sorry, I've seen Rosemary's Baby... and Repulsion... and Le Locataire; I'm totally homo for Polanski. Now, The Hauting - I'll look for it.

Almod

Heja Sverige!!

Ghost in a Shell 1&2 were excellent. Reccoemmend both of them! Anime movies that take place in the future where there are humanoid robots all over. It goes into the meaning of live, free will, and the they blur the line between robot and human so well that you cannot tell the difference.

Reminded me of Blade Runner a bit, but more thoughful i believe.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Ghost in a Shell (the first one) is good but it's no Blade Runner. What exactly do you mean by more thoughtful?

Heja Sverige!!

It's playing in this artsy cinema 20 minutes away from my high-school. Thing is, they're gonna kick me out, if I skip anymore classes, which means I can only see it in the afternoon when the fair is highest and the crowd fullest... would you, by any chance, describe it as a collective experience?

PS: Yeah, I meant Mala Educacion.

PPS: I've seen both GiTSs, quaint flicks - Innocence is, as I've previously mentioned, a visual treat.

Well, it's quite funny at times, and that always works well with big crowds. It's also very interesting culturally because of the way it describes small Spanish villages. And, as usual Almod

Heja Sverige!!

No. Sorry. There is however a thoroughly brilliant scene where she's cutting some vegetables in the kitchen that is quite interesting. :rolleyes:

If you want sex,

Heja Sverige!!

He's still right. And to think I was about 13 when I first saw it.

Heja Sverige!!

Me too. It's not incredibly shallow, but when compared to Blade Runner it really sticks out as superficial. Not to mention it doesn't meld it's themes with the narrative even half as well as Blade Runner does.

Heja Sverige!!

Plus, it doesn't star Rutger Hauer... now, you might, of course, believe this doesn't have much to do with its philosophical exploration of various themes and motifs, and you might be, by some bizarre interference of God (praised be his name), right; but, like, you're wrong... mmm, Rutger Hauer... seriously, though, I haven't seen it a long time, so who knows, I'm not extremely fond of me-2 years' opinion (on almost everything).

I'm still sorta waiting for Withteeth's insight into GITS' philosophy. I ain't really kidding here, either; I remember deeming it shallow when I saw it (2 years ago?... a long time, certainly).

THe main character an android, or cyborg since she still is partially living, is so complex that she seems to be a human, or something even more. She thinks about her own existance, the world around her and its purpose. It shows that programming can be so complex that it can reproduce what being human is.

I hope this helps.

Clicky!!!

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Rutger Hauer was great in Blade Runner.Sure, he sucked in about everything else he did, but that shouldn't take away from his performance in the best sci-fi flick of all time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/news/page/0...1290764,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/sto...1290567,00.html

Heja Sverige!!