Alan Wake needs quad-core CPU?

mkreku

"Surprisingly enough, Markus indicated that Alan Wake would pretty much not run on any single core processors, although it may be possible to run on single-core Pentium 4 processors with Hyper Threading enabled, with noticably reduced image quality/experience."

"The demo ran extremely well on the test system, which was a Core 2 Quad running at 3.73GHz with a GeForce 7900 GTX. Markus said that it would have run just as well if the Core 2 Quad was running at its default clock speed, which we assume was 2.66GHz. The game looked even better than when we first saw it at E3 and we eagerly await its release. If Alan Wake is any indication, it won't be long before gamers start thinking about the move to dual/quad core if they haven't already."

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2841&p=2

Suddenly my not-even-purchased-yet Core 2 Duo E6600 system doesn't feel so hot anymore :ermm:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Sheeesh, it's never a good time to upgrade :ermm:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ah, so it's more to do with the way it's running it's code than the raw power of the system?

I suppose.

I imagine that the single core will probably have multple threads going, but since it's a single core, it's still only executing one at a time. So it's still likely related to the raw power of the system.

Sheeesh, it's never a good time to upgrade :)

Yeah :(

Damnit, isn't 4-core processors coming out next winter or something? When I heard about those I decided to wait for them. And it is going to take some time until I can get DX10 compatible cards with reasonable price. no new computer before year 2007 I guess :(

Meh, I would just get Xbox 360 but it won't have NWN 2 :(

edit: Technology is advancing too fast nowadays. :p

edit2: price, not time. Duh :)

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Bad timing for such a bold move, if that's true. The majority of PC owners don't have dual core processors, and aren't likely to buy one (or a 360) for the sake of playing their game. So when it doesn't sell, are they more likely to admit they made a mistake, or declare the PC market dead?

Bad timing for such a bold move, if that's true.  The majority of PC owners don't have dual core processors, and aren't likely to buy one (or a 360) for the sake of playing their game.  So when it doesn't sell, are they more likely to admit they made a mistake, or declare the PC market dead?

Maybe they plan to release it in the same way as STALKER?

Sheeesh, it's never a good time to upgrade :)

It's worse than how the value of your car drops as soon as you drive it off the lot. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Damnit, isn't 4-core processors coming out next winter or something?

Amd's ones are coming in next winter, Intel's cores, however, are coming this year! :-

edit: For Finn members: Source is MB's newest magazine

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

AMD's got a four core solution, though not the same as Intel's one.

There is a column in this month's PC Format by the dude who runs Voodoo saying that AMD's four cores on a chip would be useful for instancing; in other words one could load four instances of, say, WoW and have the characters interact between each other.

Also, there was a rumour in this month's Custom PC that AMD's 90nm dies might not be as far away as we have been led to believe. :blink:"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Also, there was a rumour in this month's Custom PC that AMD's 90nm dies might not be as far away as we have been led to believe. :)"

Uhm.. what? Hasn't AMD been manufacturing 90nm dies from early this summer already? They're about to start manufacturing their first 65nm by now.

Yup, they have:

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=190400017

More news about AMD's manufacturing plans:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060926PR215.html

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Also, there was a rumour in this month's Custom PC that AMD's 90nm dies might not be as far away as we have been led to believe. :-"

Uhm.. what? Hasn't AMD been manufacturing 90nm dies from early this summer already? They're about to start manufacturing their first 65nm by now.

Yup, they have:

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=190400017

More news about AMD's manufacturing plans:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060926PR215.html

Yeah, sorry about that: typing from memory. Replace "90nm" with "65nm".

The R600 (ATi DX10-generation GPU) is delayed until 2007, and ATi are working on combining the Northbridge and Southbridge on one chip on mobos.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT