Bioshock - first public footage

Llyranor

Haha, a whole team of people working on the water yet there's no visible hands touching any of the consoles, they just magically turn on. But what really got me was how the developer was talking about how you can go anywhere you want and all that jazz, then when he was talking about the crazy musician guy, he said how you were trapped on that level. My guess is that the game, instead of being a true free roamer, is instead going to be broken down by the different levels. Those levels may have many different paths within them, but to advance to the next one you're going to have to find the super important disk or hack the super important console. Until then, you're most likely stuck.

Which would be similar to System Shock. They are still trying to tell a story. Besides, even in a "free roamer," if the key to Door A is in section B, which is behind locked Door B, you're still going to need to get the key to Door B before you can get the key to Door A.

As for the hands on the consoles...which game did have that?

Which would be similar to System Shock.  They are still trying to tell a story.  Besides, even in a "free roamer," if the key to Door A is in section B, which is behind locked Door B, you're still going to need to get the key to Door B before you can get the key to Door A.

Exactly. System Shock especially was a huge game, or at least it felt huge with all of Citadel Station to explore, but you had to opne it level by level as you accomplished each "mission". I thought it was quite well done in that I never felt like I was on a linear path. WHich of course, I was, but the devs did a good job of hiding it. WHich is fine for me. Not every game needs to be Oblivion or X Universe-level wide open and free-roaming. A nice variety is good.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Every new high tech FPS game I ever play where my guy is some kind of handless, footless, blob, I think to my self. "Why? WHY?!" I'm all for OMGSUPERWATERPHYZICS, but, honestly, where's my dude's hands at? The little details matter just as much as the big in your face ones. Now, I'm not saying I'm going to hate a game just because my guy doesn't have hands, it's just one of those things that in the 21st century of gaming and super reflective water, should be there.

Edited by Jast

Yeah, but for some reason developers often opt to implement body awareness (read: sluggish controls) everytime you have a polygon body attached to that camera of yours. I rather have third person view (Gothic!) or first person view without body awareness than sluggish controls. Think Thief 3.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I do like how Hollow points do more damage to people than AP rounds... admittedly I'd somehow doubt that it'd take five AP rounds to kill anything.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Pretty sure DX:IW hadn't it.

As for missing it... I wasn't. I rather have an effect than having to watch my hand "use" cutscene everytime I right click an item. Besides that it will need alot of variables because you might click it from short/far... hell in DX AND SS2 sometimes from behind a wall... animate that! ;).

Also if you would be allowed to move during that using scene (which would be nice; preventing some serious backrape) that might do some funky things to your arm I think...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The hollow points became goofy though, as there was a magical critical failure hit that allowed you to bypass armor entirely.

So my full burst of JHP rounds into the dude wearing Enclave Armor would rip him to shreds.

There was almost no need to use AP rounds, as I found it more effective to just hope for the critical.

Of course if it was the Gauss cannon than all bets were off. It just shot through whatever it wanted anyways.

Edited by alanschu

I do like how Hollow points do more damage to people than AP rounds... admittedly I'd somehow doubt that it'd take five AP rounds to kill anything.

System Shock had a flechette gun which could take either hollow or solid steel needles. An autofired hail of hollow needles was lethal against organics. But only slightly damaging to cyborgs and totally useless against robots.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

so... is this trying to do rpg style attacks where it rolls on damage and acc even if you're pretty damn sure to have hit them in the head? (like when you place your gun at their eyeball and pull the trigger.. but in rpgs that can sometimes be a kneecap?)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I remember playing SS2 with my friend, and I forgot I had tons of AP rounds when we were fighting all the turrets and robots.

So he was using anti-personnel rounds (which sucked). Then when we got into fighting tThe Many, I found the AP rounds, and laughed as I gave it to him. At least he could use the AP rounds against The Many now :D

Calax, I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the combat mode was Deus Ex in style. Where a headshot would still do headshot damage. It's just you might not be entirely accurate. I wouldn't worry about shots to the knees equally headshot and whatnot.

Edited by alanschu

Hmmm... it looks like ammo is changable with a key

Which is better than SS2's "open inventory...select ammo...drag ammo to weapon...put ammo back in inventory...close inventory...reload weapon...reload game due to being mashed in inventory mode" ;)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

There's a video available on the 'net which shows a failed lion hunt. A lion attacks a gang of hunters and they all keep shooting at it while it's running towards them, but insanely enough it actually reaches one of the hunters and pounces on him despite being shot in the head. The only reason the hunter who got the lion over him survived was that the leader of the hunting group managed to put one right in the face of the lion just as it jumped in for the kill. That distracted it a bit..

I am sure those genetically modified monsters can take a bullet or two too.

Edit: Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3412NvaNvY8

It's not very nice though, so it's not for the weak of heart. You've been warned.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I thought there was a key for change ammo type in SS2 as well.

Cycle Ammo was the B key. Overload on a energy weapon was the O key. Cycle weapon was Y.

Cycle Ammo was the B key.  Overload on a energy weapon was the O key. Cycle weapon was Y.

Hmmm... never gotten all that info. If it wasn't for the fact the main menu turned dark black for some unknown reason it would lure me back in :(

^

I hate you people for doing this to me. :luck:

Its like crack. Crack, I say.

post-378-1158883936_thumb.jpg

Edited by CrashGirl

The only games I've seen hands interacting with the environment are Prey, and Call of Cthulhu after applying some mod/patch thingy.

It was easy to see why it was removed from the final game in CoC. It looked fine when opening doors and such, but depending on the angle you approach an object to interact with, your arm could bend in really unnatural ways.

It's a bit of graphical niceness and right now it's very much the exception to the rule, so I can't say I'm too fussed.