Bioshock - first public footage

Llyranor

I'm away for a week, and when I come back it's all kinds of awesomeness. (w00t)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm away for a week, and when I come back it's all kinds of awesomeness.  (w00t)

OMG! Where? :(

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't look forward to this game with great anticipation. All the negative comments seem ... petty.

True.

The only argument should be scariness of the game. If they are able to match/go above the levels of fear that one experienced in SS2, then they have a winner.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I haven't seen much horror yet.

Just cuz' of that guy's nerdular voice. It looks like the game is focusing on people becoming inhuman in their pursuit of perfection, kind a eugenics angle. They could also milk the "there's no way out of this" claustrophobic feel. However, the psychotic composer deal was kind of a turn-off for me, coming off of a long time playing Dead Rising and dealing with an improbable psycho/non-psycho ratio. But I think it could work, story-wise. I'm getting the same vibes from this as I did from reading the Boulder Van Buren docs (since I have to tie everything I say and do to my Fallout PnP) There's a lot of potential there. And with the removal of narration and a full sound set / good score, they could really get a good atmosphere out of it.

I give it a ++! :)

Edited by Pop

I didn't say there wasn't any.

I'm just commenting based on the visuals and gamestyle I saw in the video.

There's massive potential for a horror game there... but that wasn't the purpose of the video.

The video was to show off the AI and Water. :)

Strangely enough, I was more excited when I heard that Looking Glass (well, almost, Irrational, Looking Glass, what's the difference?) were going to do a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2. But the more I actually see of the game the less impressed I feel. There's something about the game that's not attractive to me, petty or not. It annoys me that I can't put a finger on what is wrong.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Strangely enough, I was more excited when I heard that Looking Glass (well, almost, Irrational, Looking Glass, what's the difference?) were going to do a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2. But the more I actually see of the game the less impressed I feel. There's something about the game that's not attractive to me, petty or not. It annoys me that I can't put a finger on what is wrong.

What got me was that the guy kept talking about the revolutionary AI, but it really didn't show anything really revolutionary. I guess the protection thing the Big Daddies did was kind of new, but the splicers seemed to act like your average FPS baddies, with some unimpressive idle actions thrown in.

Also, the enemies didn't recoil when hit. In fact, they didn't react at all. It makes combat look stupid.

Or maybe you're not impressed because the world design is Fallout-y.

Edited by Pop

Remember guys that's the first playable build Irrational showed at the E3. This week at X06, Irrational will show a new gameplay video that shows actual gameplay... although I've no clue whether that video will be released for public.

Edit: Oh, my one thousandth post! Lovely embedded in a Bioshock thread! That's the way how it should be, yes!!!

Edited by Morgoth

I think I know what you mean. Remember the initial announcement in 2004? With the cool Insect-human-abomination artwork and the abandoned Nazi-Lab setting? I thought that was way more interesting. Yeah sure, evil Nazis who made crazy experiments sounds a little overused, but it wasn't a WW2 shooter, but set sometime in the near future where you would discover an old Nazi-Lab and encounter creatures more inspired of "The Fly".

I'm not unhappy with the new underwater-setting either, but the BigDaddies or Splicers aren't closely as scary as humans turning into Insects.

Edited by Morgoth

The only Splicers I've seen are angry woman, zombies and clowns. That's not really creepy... I mean I meet such people every day. :p

Yes, but like Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Hannibal Lector, the familiar can be much more frightening than the grotesquely alien. :)

I think I know what you mean. Remember the initial announcement in 2004? With the cool Insect-human-abomination artwork and the abandoned Nazi-Lab setting? I thought that was way more interesting. Yeah sure, evil Nazis who made crazy experiments sounds a little overused, but it wasn't a WW2 shooter, but set sometime in the near future where you would discover an old Nazi-Lab and encounter creatures more inspired of "The Fly".

I'm not unhappy with the new underwater-setting either, but the BigDaddies or Splicers aren't closely as scary as humans turning into Insects.

Yeah, I remember that! (Maybe that is an end-boss, or some later-on-in-the-game-type foes ...)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Agreed. Maybe they haven't showcased much the atmosphere yet, compared to the gameplay.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Here's a downloadable version of Bioshocks X06 presentation. I haven't watched it yet (don't even know whether that's pre-rendered or ingame), but fanboys and fangirls are raving around like being on drugs. So get it now!

Download

Edit: Oh, that's what Ken had to say:

The trailer is pre-rendered, just so nobody has any Killzone-style deja vus...

We wanted to get footage and sshots of the actual game first (the e3 video you saw last week) so everybody knew exactly how the game looked before we showed more conceptual stuff like the trailer. I know it's ass backwards, but I think it's important you let people see what they're actually getting first so they know what game you're making.

As good as the game looked at E3, you guys need to see it now. Special effects have gotten, well, special attention. The plasmid hands that Steve did just rock, and the weapon effects out Black-Black.

We'll be showing a new in game demo of a relatively recent build tomw at the actual event. I don't have any date on when that video will be released, it's up to marketing types.

I think the combat in BioShock will be as intense as in the trailer, but more first person weapon and mutant powers focused (of course!). The in game demo we're showing tomw is in fact all about combat in BioShock. We call it: "Hunting the Big Daddy".

Shortly down the road we'll be starting to discuss some of the deeper gameplay choices in BioShock, like hacking, inventing, and weapon mods...(and much more..."

Edited by Morgoth

The movie showed a Big Daddy beating the snot out of some guy. Not really worth the download since it's just pre-rendered stuff.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the game in the coming days though and the movie showing actual combat might be fun.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!