Smoking a nuisance?

Hurlshort

Eh, I suppose it could be to people with really young kids/babies, but other then that...I don't see a problem with it. Smoking is a choice. A stupid choice, but a choice none the less.

That helps kill everyone around you...

So? People driving like maniacs help kill people around them as well.

Eh, I suppose it could be to people with really young kids/babies, but other then that...I don't see a problem with it. Smoking is a choice. A stupid choice, but a choice none the less.

That's why driving like a maniac is illegal...at least in the US. Those taxi's in Mexico are another story.

That's why driving like a maniac is illegal...at least in the US. Those taxi's in Mexico are another story.

To an extent yes. But you can get away with an awful lot, while still being within the confines of the law. Heck, do you see the police cracking down on tailgating, which is actually a pretty significant cause of traffic accidents? I'm sure most drivers all obey the two-second rule where you live.

I wouldn't consider a maniac driver as being someone that is breaking road laws. Heck, every time you change lanes you increase the chances of an accident happening.

Or perhaps you could look at the act of driving cars period. There are people that find gas emissions exceptionally irritating. I'm betting that hanging around cities that have frequent smog warnings is as bad for one's health as second hand smoke is (especially if you already suffer from breathing conditions). Any motions to outlaw fossil fuel emissions in the near future?

This is hwen things get taken too far.

I find it funny that smokers never used to bother me. It is only since they became rare that I notice them smoking!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Cars are an important part of society. They directly contribute to the economy. The get people to school and work, they allow goods to be delivered around the world. I definitely think more needs to be done to keep them environmentally safe, but they don't really compare to smoking. Smoking is a personal pleasure. What are the positive contributions to society for smoking?

Alcohol is a personal pleasure, too. It harms livers and other things. it's addictive, it causes harm via consumption and lapses of intelligence or motor control. People still use it to party next door, being a part of both noise and trash pollution. It's still legal and most neighbors don't blink an eye or call the cops for 'violations' unless actual violence is a factor, because it's a socially acceptable drug despite it's rather proven 'harm' to society and people.

The thing about smoking is that's it's just currently trendy to bash and crusade against it. People always need something to bash and blame, and with all the media influence and the fact it's not a 'fun party drug' smoking is an easy one to do it with.

To me it's less whether such small personal pleasures are useful or not, or harmful/annoying or not - it's that such legal definitions/measures are often designed as the start of making things illegal, or for people abusing the system simply because it's 'trendy' to bash on the one thing vs. another, and that direction I disagree with.

Edit: ie, I'd feel the same if they were trying to make beer or burning inscense something you couldn't do in your own home.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Cars are an important part of society.  They directly contribute to the economy.  The get people to school and work, they allow goods to be delivered around the world.  I definitely think more needs to be done to keep them environmentally safe, but they don't really compare to smoking.  Smoking is a personal pleasure.  What are the positive contributions to society for smoking?

The billions of dollars in taxes on cigarettes that smokers always complain about? ;)"

Smoking is a personal pleasure.  What are the positive contributions to society for smoking?

the first sentence answers the second. since when is YOUR definition (or anyone else's) of a "positive contribution" the only allowed? lots of things qualify as having "no positive contribution to society" yet they are allowed. why? because of freedom. freedom to decide what is and isn't "positive" to your own life.

remember, here in the US, we were founded on the promise of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." the latter concept has been ruled on in the supreme court, btw, as a valid "right" and nowhere in the constitution is the ability to govern such a concept away granted to the government. when someone's pursuit of happiness tramples your own right to the same, then you have a legitimate gripe. inside a private business, however, you have the right to leave. inside a private apartment building, you have the right to leave.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

To an extent yes. But you can get away with an awful lot, while still being within the confines of the law. Heck, do you see the police cracking down on tailgating, which is actually a pretty significant cause of traffic accidents? I'm sure most drivers all obey the two-second rule where you live.

I wouldn't consider a maniac driver as being someone that is breaking road laws. Heck, every time you change lanes you increase the chances of an accident happening.

Or perhaps you could look at the act of driving cars period. There are people that find gas emissions exceptionally irritating. I'm betting that hanging around cities that have frequent smog warnings is as bad for one's health as second hand smoke is (especially if you already suffer from breathing conditions). Any motions to outlaw fossil fuel emissions in the near future?

round here the 2 second rule has every other person getting infront of you. And on my way into Sacramento I go over a rather large hill that on a clear day, lets you see all the way to the costal mountain range... (I'm in the foot hills of the Sierras) But when it's bad... it's really bad... maybe 1/4 the view range.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I was seriously asking a question when I said "what are the positive contributions?", so I appreciate all the input. I'm still not entirely sold on those contributions outweighting the problems smoking causes, but to each their own. I just hope that eventually popular culture will move away from the whole idea that smoking is rebellious and cool. That will probably kill the tobacco industry without any legislation needed. I mean, seriously, there are better things to smoke than cigarettes, and the smell isn't exactly pleasant.

On a side note, California just passed legislation that allows police to ticket motorists who are smoking in the car with a child under 6 years old.

Good points there, LC.

As for positive contributions, I haven't any clinical data, but do you think it is an entire accident that high stress professions seem to 'enjoy' smoking so much? I'm genuinely questioning this. I know so many soldiers, nurses, policemen etc who smoke.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, for soliders in a war zone, the whole rationalization is that you have a significant (variable on the theatre, of course) chance to die in the short-term, so the long-term ramifications shrink, proportionately. I think it would be wrong to ascribe any stress-relieving benefits to it; in fact research would indicate the exact opposite (even if people would feel the reverse). :ermm:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I hear you, Meta. But what about the nurses and doctors etc?

-Elwood Blues

There is a mistaken belief that smoking gives alleviation from stress ... but clinical evidence gives lie to this. Still, if people get some sort of placebo effect from it, who are we to tell them to stop? (Until they actually fall ill ...)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

well it does limit your ability to use the air in your lungs.. so in effect you are actually mildly suffocating yourself, that usually calms people down (a mild lack of air)..

Fortune favors the bald.

It increases stress in the long run, though. Ever been around someone who "hasn't had a cigarette in over an hour?" If you have, you know what I'm talking about.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Do you think I like those people?

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf