Guitar Tabulatures are now illegal!

angshuman

Now, THIS is what I call ridiculous. It seems if you listen to a piece of music, transcribe it by ear and post your interpretation of the piece in the form of a tabulature or arrangement, you are violating a copyright. I can perhaps understand if, due to the way the copyright is defined, something like this becomes technically unavoidably illegal. I never really expected them to go after online sites and shut them down. This is really, really low.

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/06/08/13/1256224.shtml

Come to think of it, this is probably good for me personally. I'll now have to focus on my ear training instead of getting a free ride off of online tabulatures. :("

I'm not really suprised. This kind of thing happened with fake books too. The difference is that people were paying for fake books.

How long until covers are illegal.

That's not really the same type of situation. I do remember that there is supposed to ba some sort of law that you are supposed to pay this musical association type thing when you use a song not in the public domain whenever you have people pay to listen to you.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The baffling thing is that they actually consider this harmful rather than a gift from above to help them spread their music. How the hell could guitar tabulature on the Internet hurt a record company or artist? Are they just being [pimples on the rear end of f

Edited by metadigital

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

They sell tab books, and sheet music of most of this stuff. Magazines also publish tabs. If you look it up on the interent, you aren't paying them for it.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

True enough, didn't even think of that (and to think I own a bunch of those, heh...), but it's still silly and stupid since guitar tabs made by you or me are interpretations and as such shouldn't be subject to legal action.

Reasons the OLGA should stay up:

Tab books are generally only available for the reallly big albums, at least as far as I've seen. And I don't want to subscribe to a guitar magazine to get tabs of "rock" songs I don't want to learn (I already know how to get to drop D tuning, and I'm not interested in memorizing solos).

The tabs on OLGA have been posted by Joe Guitarists all over the world. Consequentially, many of them are very, very wrong. Who wants to pay for an amateur's first tab that is not even in the same key as the original. That's not exactly a desirable commodity.

And most importantly, reading sheet music is hard. It defeats the purpose of an army of youths who picked up a $100 electric guitar to learn how to "rock out."

I'm not denying that it's taking money away from some people, most noticably the people who make money teaching kids how to play guitar. I just think it's a valuable resource that shouldn't get kicked off the internet.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Well, look on the positive side of things. A whole generation of would-be Blink 182's or Linkin Parks will be stopped dead in their tracks :o

An even more insane anecdote from the intrawebh: The first versions of the Swedish internet copyright law that came into effect may 2005, effectively made it illegal to browse the WWW since it banned downloading any form of copyrighted material to your computer(which is what happens when a browser loads a site). Including photos, news articles, web graphics and even java and php scripts. The browser cache of the average intenet user would contain enough proof of violating the law to get you a

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The baffling thing is that they actually consider this harmful rather than a gift from above to help them spread their music. How the hell could guitar tabulature on the Internet hurt a record company or artist? Are they just being arses for the sake of being arses or what?

I mean, let's imagine how Joe Guitarist sits at home and learns his favourite song from an Internet site, and then proceeds to play the song at a party or other gathering of friends. His friends might not have heard the song and they go "Wow, what's that?" and Johnny tells them what song it is and what album it's on and his friends might actually buy the record as a result (unless they download it which is a completely different issue altogether). Sometimes this legal business makes my brain hurt. :o

Have to say, I'm with you. Damn silly.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Awe man... this sucks. :o

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

The music industry is like some great flatulent wild boar. For years it has roamed around terrifying us simple peasants. But we're encroaching on its domain. Being a wild beast it reacts the only way it knows how, with unreasoning savagery.

But in the end I predict pork-chops.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The people who were being hurt here are people like the Sher Music Company, and the other companies like them that publish Real Books and have to buy the rights for these songs and put them in a book.

They didn't do this on account of the songs that can't be found in books easily, but because of the songs that can be. They can't monitor all of te songs, so they just shut the entire site down. It's still legal to have tabs for songs that are over 100 years old though, because they are in the public domain.

When I was around twelve, one of the things I wanted the most was a stereo with a double tape deck. I don't recall even knowing what the term piracy meant.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

But one thing that has happened to me nowadays is that I cant really understand, except on a purerly theoretical level, why I should pay half the cost of a fullprice computer game for a plastic disc with some sound on it? Music has begun to feel like such a cheap thing. The last record I bought was Tools "10000 days" and I listened to it once and then put it on the shelf, hasnt touched it since. Thats definently not value for money.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

DMCA have nothing to say in Finland, so i'll continue to download tabs as much as i like. Copyrighting someones impression of a song, pfeh.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I doubt this will have any real impact on guitar tab sharing on the internet.

It will be great fun, though. Gathering with fellow guitar players in abandoned houses or underground complexes at midnight, avoiding the law, and proceeding to do our dirty business: sharing Guitar Tabs!

Guitar junkie 1: "Hey, Johnny, whaddaya got?"

Guitar junkie 2: "Um, let's see, 'Guinnevere' by CSN, 'Tears in Heaven' and 'Don't Think Twice, It's All Right', Dylan song, really good stuff."

Guitar junkie 1: "Dude, that's awesome stuff, can I try that Dylan song."

Guitar junkie 2: "Not until I see what you got. That's the rules, homey."

Guitar junkie 1: "Oh, sure, sorry. Of course, dude. I got 'Blackbird', 'Old King' by Neil Young, 'Spanish Caravan' and, er... 'Smoke on the Water'"

Guitar junkie 2: "'Smoke on the Water'? What kinda crap are you trying to pull on me driving for two hours looking for cops in the mirror and I come down here and you bring 'Smoke on the ******* Water'??? Jesus, I thought you were pro man, **** this. I'm out.

:rolleyes: I don't understand, yet I find the comedy.

-Elwood Blues