NWN2 delayed until October

If that's true, that I can play it on my system with 2.0 Ghz, why does Sawyer say

"If you're below those specs, you're going to have to belly up or skip the game."

From a developer, that's a stiff sentence.  Seemed rather final to me...

He

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Thank you Captain Obvious, I know it's not the best idea to upgrade a computer before the game has gone gold, but I had to take advantage of an opportunity to upgrade inexpensively at that point, AND every website online, every retailer I talked with, and even a developer I talked with (inside connection) all said that those specs were legit.

My point is that it is irresponsible of the developers/publishers to distribute information about a game's specs if they didn't know for sure. Three months before the game release is plenty of time to know, considering how long they'd been working on the game.

Oh, and I'm not the only one upset by this, here's a quote from another NWN2 fan:

"Now this is just ridiculous. My computer is BRAND NEW with a BRAND

NEW state of the art chip JUST RELEASED by Intel and it still doesn't

meet the requirements. My chip is a Core Duo 2.16 GHz. What a bad

political move more Atari. Why would they include such unbelievable

specs in their new game that most people just don't have? Another

thing, I was very careful to check the specs beforehand and

now they change them right before release? Oh well, I guess I won't

be playing either."

For those of us that have budgets and can't throw money around at our computers just to play games, this was a grievous error by their PR. A lot of people are going to be shut out of enjoying this one now.

-Schatten

Haha, about a thousand people don't get to play. Boohoo.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Interesting the reactions of people on this forum compared to those over at Bioware's. Not a very considerate crowd here so far. Try reading the same thread at Bioware, if anyone is interested in a decent discussion and not sarcastic jabs.

-Schatten

Edited by schatten9

Oh, and I'm not the only one upset by this, here's a quote from another NWN2 fan:

"Now this is just ridiculous.  My computer is BRAND NEW with a BRAND 

NEW state of the art chip JUST RELEASED by Intel and it still doesn't 

meet the requirements.  My chip is a Core Duo 2.16 GHz.  What a bad 

political move more Atari.  Why would they include such unbelievable 

specs in their new game that most people just don't have?  Another 

thing, I was very careful to check the specs beforehand and 

now they change them right before release?  Oh well, I guess I won't 

be playing either."

That

Edited by kirottu

Interesting the reactions of people on this forum compared to those over at Bioware's.  Not a very considerate crowd here so far.  Try reading the same thread at Bioware, if anyone is interested in a decent discussion and not sarcastic jabs. 

*shrug*

Perhaps people here just aren

Edited by kirottu

and even a developer I talked with (inside connection) all said that those specs were legit.

I do hope you're right that I can play it on this, but I suppose I'll have to see. According to Sawyer, I shouldn't be able to, and since a developer is saying that, I'm definitely worried.

Why don't you just reconfirm with your inside connection?

Edited by alanschu

It's really not all that surprising how often people get confused about processor performance since unless you've followed the evolution of processors for the past few years or have really done your homework it can be quite confusing. Chip architecture means everything, and raw Mhz simply isn't an accurate assessment any more. Pentium 4's had very long data paths. It took more processor cycles for a single instruction to be executed, and thus they relied upon their faster clock cycles. Intel has since turned this around by revisiting the Pentium III architecture and heavily modifying it to produce the Pentium M's and the subsequent Core Duo's and Core 2 Duo's. They cut the processor cycle speed for the new chips but gained in performance. There's no easy way to compare the processors either, since some instruction types saw a greater boost in speed than others, and you'd therefore see a larger or smaller increase in performance depending on the application. As an example, the Pentium M's and Core Duo's have a greatly improved floating point unit compared to the Pentium 4's. An application using lots of floating point calculations would see a greater benefit in performance between the architectures than one that mostly relied upon integer calculations.

Back in the days before the Pentium 4, AMD and Intel CPUs were fairly comparable when looking at clock speed. An 800 Mhz Pentium 3 and an 800 Mhz AMD Athlon would have similar performance. Once the Pentium 4's came out and were clocked at much higher speeds, AMD came up with their new model number scheme for their Athlon XP processors which rated them at the approximate speed equivalent of a Pentium 4. Thus an Athlon XP 2400+ was supposed to have the equivalent computational ability of a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz. This was done since many consumers were under the impression that a higher speed in Mhz meant more processing speed and power. So the numbering scheme would hopefully help a consumer compare processors based on performance rather than clock cycles per second. Whether this helped or caused more confusion is debatable, and certainly their numbers didn't always match up with benchmark comparisons.

It's because of these differences in architecture that it's impossible to really estimate how well a particular processor will perform in a given application without specifically benchmarking the system using the actual application. Thus without running NWN2 and benchmarking various systems we can't do much more than make an educated guess at how a system will perform. I've run the app at that systemrequirementslab.com address on both my notebook and desktop computers and they've come out about how I expected. I would say it's a fairly accurate assessment given the info we've received so far from developers. But there's certainly some room for error. Honestly, that link should be stickied somewhere in the NWN2 forums. That way people like the one quoted previously with a Core Duo 2.16 Ghz would realize his processor not only meets the minimum requirements, but the recommended as well, even though it's operating at a lower frequency.

It'd be nice if there were some easy way to eliminate this confusion. Maybe developers should create a web app that simply says 'run this to see if your system will run the game'. Since listing out system requirements clearly enough to deal will all the different architectures would take up most of the space on the box.

Oh well, enough of my rambling. If you see people asking whether their system will run NWN2, just point them to that link. It'll probably save a lot of time and confusion.

Interesting the reactions of people on this forum compared to those over at Bioware's.  Not a very considerate crowd here so far.  Try reading the same thread at Bioware, if anyone is interested in a decent discussion and not sarcastic jabs. 

-Schatten

Not considerate? We are very considerate. We just figure that those who post here are mature individuals who have thick enough skins and smart enough brains to get most sarcasm and roll with it. Unlike Bioware, here at Obsidian we won't baby you.

Oh, Schatten, WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE! BWAAHAAAHAAAA!

*pounces Schatten and shoves a plate of chicken alfredo down his throat*

Edited by Judge Hades

I received an email from someone with a link to an excellent site to give more hope to those of us wondering if we can run NWN2.  Check this out:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

I don't know how legit it is, but it gives me some more hope--I passed.

Hmmm... My 2.01 Sempron is rated as a 3.4 chip. :blink: