What year do you turn 20?

Eddo36

When will you turn 20?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. When will you turn 20?

• 2010+
    • Long time ago

If a draft starts the year you turn 20, you're SOL. You'll be called first until there is nobody left who is turning 20. That's your hold-your-breath year to be probably called up on somebody else's facist agenda and participate in national offense as opposed to defense.

Once every able bodies 20 year old are called up, then it'll be 21, 22,+ in that order, till 26 and then 18 and 19. If a year passes, then it resets to the new 20 year old turners.

If you're out of the US, I dunno how they do conscription in your country. Maybe you can enlighten the rest of us on how your country's conscription system works.

Edited by Eddo36

At least I know who the real cowards are. And they are not the ones who are unwilling to fight for someone else. They are the ones who make others fight for them.

The only thing worse than being killed in an unjust cause is killing somebody else for an unjust cause.

Or indirectly by doing the paperwork or support work that makes the system work for others to do the killing, the blood is still on your hands.

I think that statement is way underrated.

Edited by Eddo36

Are you subject to the draft, Eddo? By that I mean, is it possible that the United States government will draft you should it introduce the draft?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

There's very little chance that the US will have a draft anytime soon. Vietnam is still too fresh in the minds of the public, and no administration is willing to risk what happened to LBJ. People may talk about it, but it's a big leap. The number of people against the war effort is already too high, most politicians with any bit of intelligence know that a draft would cause tremendous strain.

There's very little chance that the US will have a draft anytime soon.  Vietnam is still too fresh in the minds of the public, and no administration is willing to risk what happened to LBJ.  People may talk about it, but it's a big leap.  The number of people against the war effort is already too high, most politicians with any bit of intelligence know that a draft would cause tremendous strain.

ROOFles (w00t)

Think about what you just posted. (w00t)

I did say any bit of intelligence, so I don't think I was reaching too far :p

Seriously though, I believe there is plenty of intelligence within Washington, but it's often hard to see through the smoke screens. Politicians have to play to the public, they are trying to keep the masses happy. I know for a fact that George Bush Jr. is a fairly open minded guy, but the conservative party line requires him to be gung ho and morally righteous. That's how he managed to get elected twice.

I'm not saying I agree with his politics either, I'm just saying he's smarter than most people give him credit for, otherwise he wouldn't keep winning elections. He's also surrounded by people with a heck of a lot more experience and education than myself, so I'm not all that panicked about the state of the US.

Since most males undergo military training in this country, we have a long pool of reserves ranging from 18 to 50 or whatever, at any rate we wouldn't have enough gunz for em all in case of an invasion anyway! I'd like to have the Swiss militia system here instead, where all conscripts are given the choice of getting their assault rifle with them home! (w00t)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I'm sure Tony Blair would love to introduce the draft, if he thought he could get away with it. I'd quite like to see compulsory volunteer service as happens I think in Germany, with a military service option for those who are that way inclined. That's if the military think it's worthwhile, of course, which they may well not.

I don't think the Danes should have guns. That might make them too happy. :ph34r:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

If there ever was a draft, I'm just going to go across the river over to Canada.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Yeah, but what if I'm not a citizen?

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Wait a minute...

Canada doesn't have a military!

Politicians aren't the only ones who don't want a draft. The commanders of the armed services are very much against it, too. Conscripts, by and large, make poor soldiers, and nobody wants to be in a firefight counting on a guy who's only there to avoid going to prison.

Ah, sweet, sweet asthma

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Are you subject to the draft, Eddo?  By that I mean, is it possible that the United States government will draft you should it introduce the draft?

Most likely yes. All legal residents in the US are subject to the draft. The day you receive your permanent residence status, they also mail you your brand new selective service card, so if you want the privilege of living in this country, you'd better be ready to fight for her. Of course, you can always move to another country and kiss your green card goodbye; certain religious groups are also exempted from the draft.

I thought someone said something about Eddo having suffered an injury. That would preclude him from military service. I don't believe we will have a draft.

It's easy to call the civilian government a bunch of cowards, but having the civilian government make the decision to go to war is much better than having a military government.

Democracy doesn't mean we get Eddo's idea of what is good. It means we get what we vote. If the United States government institutes the draft, then the voters will have every opportunity to change the decision.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Most likely yes. All legal residents in the US are subject to the draft. The day you receive your permanent residence status, they also mail you your brand new selective service card, so if you want the privilege of living in this country, you'd better be ready to fight for her. Of course, you can always move to another country and kiss your green card goodbye; certain religious groups are also exempted from the draft.

But we've already covered the fact that there is no draft right now, and there is almost no chance of there being one soon. The draft hasn't been used since Vietnam.

Democracy doesn't mean we get Eddo's idea of what is good. It means we get what we vote. If the United States government institutes the draft, then the voters will have every opportunity to change the decision.

Nah, it's more of a republic. We are stuck with the guys we voted in a few years ago. I'm not saying that is bad or good, just that if something happens that we didn't expect, we can't change leaders instantly, even if there are better people for the job.

Edited by Blank