Top Ten NES Games of All Time

...Yeah, the complexity. Let's just forget for a minute that both games require a princess to be saved in the first moments yet somehow Final Fantasy "outdid" Dragon Warrior, which just shows someone didn't really play the game. What's so complex about adding a secondary quest? Or more than two? Dragon Warrior had you rescue the princess, prove you were Eldrick's descendant, perform a handful of odd jobs to get cool gear or places (like finding the three guardians of Phat Loot, and create a Rainbow Bridge), and kill the Dragonlord or somesuch. Yet Final Fantasy is more complex because it has exactly the same structure but instead of keeping it short and sweet like Dragon Warrior, it wastes hours shoving players around through even more pointless errands?

Both stories were rather poor. Final Fantasy did try to handle some more complex ideas and though it was incredibly superficial and badly executed it did far outo what Dragon Quest did.

Also admitted. I sucked at it though...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

• Password feature

• Energy Tanks

• Addition of more special items to use across the levels

• Difficulty selection

How about Metal Storm? Side-scrolling shooter game.

nesmetalstorm5es.th.jpg

Not a very long game, but I thought it was pretty fun.

It had a password feature that would allow you to go back to whatever level you were at with your score and item selection.

Not sure quite what you are referring to with the energy tanks idea, it only allowed you to take one hit. Two if you managed to find an armour powerup. There were very few special items and you could only use one at a time with the exception of armour. It had a shield powerup that would project a shield on one side of you that would block shots or kill enemies that ran into it. There was also a plasma beam that was stronger than your basic weapon and could shoot through walls.

There were two difficulty levels however you had to beat the game once on normal before you could play it on hard. If you go through it again on hard some of the maps atually change a fair bit and are much harder.

The coolest thing about the game though was the inclusion of the gravity feature. Your mech had a gravity generator that could reverse gravity on the level. If you switched gravity then you could walk on the ceiling and avoid certain hazzards. However when you flipped all the enemies on the level would also flip so say that there was an enemy on the roof above a spike pit, you could jump up and reverse the gravity to send him falling into the spikes. :thumbsup:" Now that I think of it there was a final item that would turn you into an invicible fireball when flipping gravity that would kill any basic enemy and massively damage bosses if you hit them while flipping.

How about Metal Storm? Side-scrolling shooter game.

If Metal Storm is the game I'm thinking, it rocked. But it's been a while.

It had a password feature that would allow you to go back to whatever level you were at with your score and item selection.

As I've said it's been a while, so I can't really remember that well. However, I was taking more of an issue with people just going "best game ever" without really going into why from a gameplay perspective, so I pointed out gameplay improvements when compared to its predecessor as a reason for it.

And Metal Storm came out in 90 or 91, if I'm not mistaken; Megaman 2 was released in 1987.

Not sure quite what you are referring to with the energy tanks idea, it only allowed you to take one hit.

The E-Tanks allowed players to store energy to use at a later time. It would restore your energy fully once per tank.

*snip*

It seems I have to replay Metal Storm.

it did far outo what Dragon Quest did.

Sure, if "outdoing" means "doing the same, only more of it". That's pretty much it.

The saving the Princess thing was like the first half hour of the game... After that, you don't even see those characters until the very end.

Needless to say, that was not the focus of the story.

The princess of Dragon Warrior doesn't come off as much of a focus either. They hammer into you that she's missing and all, and it's true the King bleats about it on and on like everyone else, but you can focus on the other quests going on. She's not much of a priority gamewise.

Like Sara from Final Fantasy, the DW princess is mostly irrelevant right up until the end as well. The only difference is that everytime you turn the game off and then on, you're in the King's room with the princess sitting on one of the chairs.

If Metal Storm is the game I'm thinking, it rocked. But it's been a while.

Probably the game you are thinking of, cause it did indeed rock! ;)

As I've said it's been a while, so I can't really remember that well. However, I was taking more of an issue with people just going "best game ever" without really going into why from a gameplay perspective, so I pointed out gameplay improvements when compared to its predecessor as a reason for it.

And Metal Storm came out in 90 or 91, if I'm not mistaken; Megaman 2 was released in 1987.

Metal Storm was indeed released in 1991. :cool: I was only 3 when it was out and so wasn't even born when Megaman 2 came out. Didn't really get into gaming beyond C&C until '98 when I really started building my own game collection, so I missed a lot of the classic NES and SNES games. Got to play a few like Metal Storm, Zelda, Mario and Secret of Mana on my trips to visit an uncle who had both a NES and an SNES. :ermm:

The E-Tanks allowed players to store energy to use at a later time. It would restore your energy fully once per tank.

Haven't actually played any of the megaman games. I've never really been a fan of megaman for some reason. Just never appealed. :(

Am I the only oddball who liked Zelda 2 better than the first one? 

(Except for the ending.  The road up Death Mountain was sadistically difficult.)

I'm with you... I enjoyed it a lot more. There was something very unique about it.

Megaman rocks. You guys are all just losers.

VI was really good. You could fuse with Rush and become super Megaman. :D

Ninja Gaiden 2 was better IMHO. But the first was awesome.

Same way I prefer Super C over Contra, the the first game was awesome too.

No Lifeforce? :blink:

Blastermaster was good

Double Dragon II The Revenge.

Batman

There was this top-down shooting game from SNK that had you as a commando taking on a terrorist nation or something. I remember that game fondly. It was called Guerilla something maybe.

I thought the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a great game. Its also the only game in my old collection that I was never able to beat. All my four turtles died in the technodrome.

Wasn't Metal Storm that sidescroller where you could reverse gravity? That game was awesome.

One of the later Megaman games (I think it was #4, but it could have been #6) has a "Gravtiy Man" level that featured frequent gravity reversals. I was quite disappointed that the power you get when defeating Gravity Man did not, in fact, let you reverse gravity at will. (Yes, I know that would destroy the level design of the rest of the game, but it would've been so cool!)

Meh. I own most of these games. They are classics at best but not necessarily the best ones for the NES. Does anyone remember Faxanadu, Kid Icarus, Double Dragon or Battle of Olympus?

Ahhh, the good old times... BTW, I have had trouble using my NES recently. The screen becomes gray and cleaning the cartridges does not fix the problem. If I remember correctly, there was a small battery inside of them. Maybe there is not enough power...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Am I the only oddball who liked Zelda 2 better than the first one? 

(Except for the ending.  The road up Death Mountain was sadistically difficult.)

I'm with you... I enjoyed it a lot more. There was something very unique about it.

It is the only game I know of that you could change into a fairy!

I do agree that it was the better game with VERY under-rated music and boss battles.