Vampire: Bloodlines.

Darque

Hey, additional question: Has anyone around here played VTM: Redemption?

Anyone know if it's any good?

....now if I could just remember where I put it. :(

I got sick of it quick. The story/characters sucked and the combat was absolutely horrid.

Doesn't that take place in the Dark Ages?

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Hey, additional question: Has anyone around here played VTM: Redemption?

Anyone know if it's any good?

....now if I could just remember where I put it. :(

I got sick of it quick. The story/characters sucked and the combat was absolutely horrid.

Hmmm.. I guess I won't rush to get into it then.

Thank you for the insight :(

Hm, Netscape is teasing me. Well...

I can easily understand the initial impression, but I disagree in the long run.

First time I played Redemption I got totally fed up with controls and camera angles after two hours, but a few weeks later when I was very bored I gave it a second shot and it's actually pretty good. It's a much different experience than Bloodlines... it's a actually more like uh, Knights of the Old Republic without lightsabers, sith, dialog options and AI. No force powers but lots of disciplines and with some extra you can add along the way depending on your actions and humanity rating... but I did actually miss the old armor in LA. There are some mistakes you can do, but if you avoid them and adapt it's gonna be fine.

Edited by Janmanden

(Signatures: disabled) 

Hmmm :( That does sound rather interesting :(

I think I'll keep an open mind and give it a try post-bloodlines. I hear the game has some of the same characters between them, that should be interesting. :(

I finished Vampire: Bloodlines twice already. It is a very nice game, but lots of bugs and crash issues. The game is also a RAM hog, I recommend 1GB of RAM if you want to play smoothly for hours together.

However, the storyline experience is cool. I like to play as Malkavian, there's something about driving people mad and having them pull their hairs trying to figure out what the Malk just said. :luck:

Started a new game :(

I was going to go Tremere, but thought "what the heck, let's see what I get by answering the question thing"... and got.... Tremere ^_^

All I can say is wow!

Thaumaturgy is wicked, I've taken out stuff with no combat skills that were a serious pain with my melee brujah already.

Getting ready to do the Ghost House again, I'd forgotten how small Santa Monica was compared to the rest of the game.

We need more good vamp games.  I'd like to see a through-the-ages thing too.

Agreed, and that last part would rock. :(

Or maybe even one with a variable timeline. Say you could start at the dawn of human civilization, dark ages, medieval times, age of exploration, 1920s, WW2, modern times.... with a story that covered each era, and had advantages to starting from the begining, or at a later era :)

That could be quite an epic series of games. There'd be continuity issues though like in KOTOR 1-2 depending on player choices.

I hope Obsidian gives it a whirl sometime. I think many devs would relish the freedom that a M rated game would give them.

How did Bloodlines sell anyway?

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I don't think it sold well initially, but has sold consistantly over a long period. Heck it's still selling, and will be on D2D soon, that's some staying power. :(

As for the epic feel, something like Eternal Darkness (episode style) might work.. you could have each time period being an episode with a complete short story, and then have the majority of the game in the present... I think that'd work very well (in theory :D )

I'm not sure how flashbacks have been handled in games. The story could be in a modern setting but the player could play mini flashback games as appropriate.

It could be confusing but seeing how movies and books can do well I think the players wouldn't be unduly averse to it.

Maybe. It could be a way of exploring/fleshing out other NPCs in ways that would be difficult if everything was handled in the present.

For example you could find out why you're enemies with your former best friend etc. Your current enemy wouldn't need to explain the backstory (you should know it) and you could interact accordingly.

Edit: Of course the extension of that players with visions of the future could play sequences in the future and let that influence their choices when they're back in the present (Dr. Grout?).

Edited by Atreides

Ya know, I think it'd be possible to handle it from both points of view.

You could either play it from the past and move forward "or" play from the present and have flashbacks for various reasons. As in if you wanted to play an ancient vamp you could, but if you wanted to play a modern one there'd be a way to get the backstory as well through alternate means.

Getting sleepy, I hope that made sense.

I can't make a totally awesome Alucard in Bloodlines, so it sucks. :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds