The Elder Scrolls games

ramza

From the many pics of Oblivion I have seen, I couldn't prevent myself from wondering whether I should buy this game or not. Apparently, the game's world is vast and you can do pretty much whatever you want, and go wherever you want. The graphics are also amazing (are they better than NWN2, btw?).

Anyway, I have been looking for a long time for a game like that. The problem is that I once tried playing Morrowind, and the game didn't appeal to me at all. First of all, I hate first-person games (whether they are RPGs or other types of games). Secondly, the interface was kind of awkward. I may not have given enough time to the game though and have missed a great gaming experience. I really don't know. Do we have to always be in first-person mode?

Is Oblivion like Morrowind? I mean, do we play it the same way or have there been some major improvements? Is there any chance that I will like it even if I didn't like Morrowind?

Cheers.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The problem is that I once tried playing Morrowind, and the game didn't appeal to me at all.

I found it really hard to get into at first too.

Do we have to always be in first-person mode?

No. Click the middle mouse button/wheel and it toggles between first and third. I've found that I sometimes need to switch back to first-person view to target something from a distance, but it still feels like a third-person game.

Is Oblivion like Morrowind?

Seems to be, so far. I'm having a hard time getting into this one as well. Someone a little further into the game could probably tell you more.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I absolutely hated Morrowind but I had fun playing Oblivion for a while. Then the whole single-player MMO style got very tedious. Its also much more of an action adventure game as there are barely any opportunities to roleplay your character.

The game is only playable in 3rd person if you are a melee fighter. If you want to use ranged weapons or spells you need to go to 1st person mode to be able to aim properly.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Its a game in which Bethesda took 2 steps forward then two steps back. It all dpends on what you liked and disliked about Morrowind. It does have the open ended feel, the game feels more alive than Morrowind, and the combat is done far better. Also the main quest has a tighter story story.

The drawbacks of the game is that its a smaller game than Morrowind, the Radiant AI is kind of wierd in places, the level scaling makes leveling pointless, and quie a bit dumbed down compared to previous TES games.

I hated Morrowind and thought it was boring, lifeless and all around dull.

I loved Oblivion and thought it was entertaining, atmospheric and interesting.

They do share a lot of things though, and I'm not even sure what made me like Oblivion despite hating Morrowind. Maybe it was the full voice acting? Or maybe it was better quests (more likely)? Or maybe it was a combination of added physics, much more colourful graphics, a more engaging main story and the aforementioned thing?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Morrowind:

+ Interesting world and setting

+ Lots of guilds and different quests

+ Lots of roleplaying options (stat-wise)

- Color palette (everything is brown)

- Characters look horrible

- The main quest incredibly bland

- Most quests are actually pretty generic

- Weird combat

Oblivion:

+ Larger world

+ Guilds and quests are more focused

+ Voiceacting

+ Better main quest

- Level/Skill system

- Characters look better, but still bad

- Less guilds and quests

- The setting is as generic as it can be

- The combat is still bad

On the whole, i would still recommend Oblivion over Morrowind. Morrowind's lack of focus and generic quests made the overall feeling really boring.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oblivion for all its good points is still a sp game - therefore I recommend you avoid it like the plague. Against my better judgement I bought the game and I agree it is beautiful, complex and huge, however I really missed playing with fellow gamers. Plus for a small % of machines it is unstable and essentially unplayable, unfortunatley I am one of the unluckly ones. :(

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

So if an RPG is single player, it therefore sucks? :(

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There are plenty of online multiplayer games out there. Nearly every game released nowadays has multiplayer options. Even fraking console games now. I love the fact that it is a single player game only. Its more focused.

If I want to play with people I play PnP. When I want to play a computer game I want to be alone. You don't like SP games, fine, don't buy them but don't belittle them when once in a blue moon a SP game is released.

Lately its been MMO this, Online play that, blah blah blah. I hate online games because more than likely the people on the other end tend to be jackasses.

Edited by Judge Hades

Maybe you'd make friends!

:p

I make friends in the real world and not online.

But, but, but... ok. :">

I loved Morrowind at the time. I completed it twice with the expansions. But somehow now I can't get into it as much.

I haven't played Oblivion and probably never will. Although I'm interested, by the time I either upgrade my PC or buy a 360 I'll be interested in something else.

Oh well.

I hate playing CRPG's mutliplayer, it just completely spoils the mood.

KUKEN: There an NPC there lets go talk to him! *runs off*

ME: Wait for me you ****tard!

APAN: What, whats going on?!

HORAN: sorry phone. anybody want pizza?

APAN: Uh.. I guess. Hey! Anyone found a two-handed axe yet? I took wep spec on that when I levelled.

KUKEN: What are you waiting for, lets go.

ME: Wait.. what did the NPC say?

KUKEN: FFS cant you guys ****ing keep up? He gave us some quest about going to a village or something.

ME: Ok. and Id appreciate if you waited for us so we could have heard hat he said too.

KUKEN: Whatever

APAN: HELLO?!! I NEED A TWO-HANDED AXE!!!!

HORAN: I cant find the menu.

:p"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thanks for your answers. I still don't know if I will buy it. Maybe I should check if any of my friend has it.

Anyway, this is really a premature question. But which one between NWN2 and Oblivion has the best graphics? I hear people complaining, for example, about the characters' faces in Oblivion, but I don't think they are any worse than NWN2's (it's just an impression though).

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Well, if oyu don't like Oblivion's graphics there are already mods that increase the textures as well as make the character models "prettier."

Personally I don't have a problem with them, but then I am not a graphics whore.

I hate playing CRPG's mutliplayer, it just completely spoils the mood.

KUKEN: There an NPC there lets go talk to him! *runs off*

ME: Wait for me you ****tard!

APAN: What, whats going on?!

HORAN: sorry phone. anybody want pizza?

APAN: Uh.. I guess. Hey! Anyone found a two-handed axe yet? I took wep spec on that when I levelled.

KUKEN: What are you waiting for, lets go.

ME: Wait.. what did the NPC say?

KUKEN: FFS cant you guys ****ing keep up? He gave us some quest about going to a village or something.

ME: Ok. and Id appreciate if you waited for us so we could have heard hat he said too.

KUKEN: Whatever

APAN: HELLO?!! I NEED A TWO-HANDED AXE!!!!

HORAN: I cant find the menu.

:-"

:p Reminds me of the times I play NWN in multiplayer mode, in some kind of Persistent World. I find this actually funny and enjoyable. But I haven't played that much in MP, so it might get tiresome after a while.

Edited by ramza

Quick swedish parleur for the international crowd:

KUKEN = The C0ck.

APAN = The Ape.

HORAN = The Whore.

Now we ALL can understand! :p)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Quick swedish parleur for the international crowd:

KUKEN = The C0ck.

APAN = The Ape.

HORAN = The Whore.

Now we ALL can understand! :p)

I could understand it the first time! :-

Edited by Soulseeker

Heja Sverige!!

Besides Oblivion, do you think I have missed much by not playing Morrowind?

Not really. Considering you're a big BG fan, I think you'll find Morrowind seriously lacking.

Heja Sverige!!

Besides Oblivion, do you think I have missed much by not playing Morrowind?

Nothing really, Oblivion takes place in Cyrodiil, which is neighbouring province to Morrowind. And whatever your character did in Morrowind, has no impact on the story in Oblivion. Some guilds aren't available in Oblivion as in Morrowind, but that's it.

The only thing that you'll miss are some minor gameplay/rpg-options, but that's it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Not really. Considering you're a big BG fan, I think you'll find Morrowind seriously lacking.

Then I will come back to my initial question: is it possible for me, who didn't like Morrowind, to find Oblivion interesting? We have to keep in mind here that I loved all the IE games (except for PS:T :thumbsup: *don't kill me, please*), NWN, and have enjoyed playing KOTOR 1. All I am looking for, from other games, is the possibility to travel and act as I want in a vast interactive world. I remember when I was playing GTA: san andreas, that I loved this sense of "freedom". The same can be said, to some extent, for the N64 Zelda games.

Is Oblivion what I am looking for, or will I find it boring from the first quest, or after completing a few quests?