The "heresy" thread part 2

Good posts, gang. The most enjoyable I've read on this forum in a while. Especially notable is why Llyr doesn't play PnP as much... which is because Eldar hates us. :thumbsup:

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Shut up mutant or I'll kill you. :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

See, you angsty internet personas, Gin doesn't have a problem with your interest over crpgs. On the contrary, he just wants to question whether they are really worth his time or should he just be off doing something constructive, like living in the real world.

If you get annoyed, offended or feel that it's somehow pointed to you, I think you, and I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, are rather shallow. No offence, but this thread really is about Gins lack of faith, not your navel.

I agree with you Mus?. We shouldn't attack Ginth. The problem is that he proposed a specific question in his original post and then he followed it up with another question in this thread. Both of those questions revolve around CRPGs and both of them make assumptions about folks who play them.

That's not a sore spot with me. Ginth's worried about getting "emo?" My dad served in three wars, he's old as hell, and yet he gets "emo" from time to time. So, it's not like I look down on Ginth for looking for deeper answers.

I admire you for sticking up for him, but the initial premise has pretty much set the whole debate.

Now, I don't think this is really about CRPGs. Not really. I think this is about joy. It's about the lack of joy in an activity that once provided it. It's about whether anything is worth our time. It's about nostalgia in looking back on one of your favorite passtimes and finding it barren. I don't think this is about CRPGs at all really. I think, and I'm quite emo and dramatic all the time, it's about despair.

That's something that faces most folks from time to time. Most people can't talk about it on a message board for fear of ridicule and the dread charge of "dramatic." Luckily, I'm inured to such accusations, so I will address this issue directly.

When I was a child, I enjoyed toys of a childish nature. I found joy in them and prized them. When I grew older, I took different toys of a different nature. I found joy in these new toys and prized them. Perhaps CRPGs are, to Ginth, like childhood toys. He used to find solace, happiness, and value in them. Now he does not, and he thinks of the time he has wasted in the toys. Worse yet, the toys have changed. They're not the toys of his youth but something distasteful to him.

There are other toys in the world. ...And there is something to fulfil Ginth just as he has need of fulfillment. Searching and seeking are part of the human condition. What fits perfectly now might not fit perfectly later and so it falls upon Ginth to search.

That's my take on this topic, because I've never thought it was really about CRPGs. I've always thought it was about Ginth taking a mental trip to one of the dark corners of his mind that whispers dreadful things to him. It's all pointless. Everything is a waste. Why bother? I don't know what the vehicle is that drove him there, but it's a bad neighborhood. He needs to find a new vehicle, lock the doors, and drive to a nice, safe, well-lit area again.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Eldar, you had better start heading that PnP game again or Llyr and I are going to head to that dark, bad neighborhood in retaliation. Do you want blood on your hands?

I love you Eldar. Your posts stink of pleonasm, yet their message doesn't get cluttered in a diatribe. :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I am so desperate that even now I am almost playing in character, Llyr. Horace still has no idea, and if he knew, then he'd probably be very mangry. Thanks again for saving Horace, Nick.

See, you angsty internet personas, Gin doesn't have a problem with your interest over crpgs. On the contrary, he just wants to question whether they are really worth his time or should he just be off doing something constructive, like living in the real world.

If you get annoyed, offended or feel that it's somehow pointed to you, I think you, and I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, are rather shallow. No offence, but this thread really is about Gins lack of faith, not your navel.

That is something only he can answer for himself and no one else can say it is or not for him. You either find somethig fun or not.

That is something only he can answer for himself and no one else can say it is or not for him.

Absolutely. Human beings as social creatures is complete bollocks, and a myth altogether.

I ask you, why did you bother posting a quasi-suicidal message stating how much you think your life sucks because you were losing your job once Christmas was over, so on and so forth?

Edited by alanschu

Hades just loves attention. 90% of his posts are aimed at drawing attention, and, if possible, steering the conversation into a debate about him. I'm surprised you hadn't noticed.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hades just needs a hug. :)

kirottu said:

Hades just needs a good therapist. He needs to find someone less crazy than himself, which leaves me out. Nartwak, on the other hand, is quite the clever fellow. Just looking at his signiture can be therapy in a hypnotic sort of way.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Oh. LOL Kinda figured. :D

Anyways, as far as the actual topic, it's real simple. if you find games (or any pasttime) a 'waste of time' then simply don't do it anymore.

Game over.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.